Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244755 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #315 on: October 31, 2020, 08:21:08 PM »
That is a very good zombie!
And the wand looks very professional, what is the material?

Also, sounds like you and them had a blast doing the costumes. And about work, that is so fun! We never do much at work. We are boring.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 31, 2020, 11:35:32 PM »
Flat wooden stick, rubber band, aluminium foil, paste and newspapers. And black and brown paint.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:43:00 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 31, 2020, 11:48:39 PM »
Excellent!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 01, 2020, 01:38:02 AM »
Worked out better than I thought. Maybe I'll make a second one. I still have enough materials at home.

Sometimes we do fun stuff at work, like the last three nights someone built a little tower of (empty) plastic sample racks. Yesterday I put a rack out of the centrifuge on top of it.
Or sometimes someone leaves little humanoids build out of test-cups with painted faces on your workplace. Sweet.
Or stacks something in a different way, for example a pyramid or a heart shape.
During Christmas time the X-ray people send us an X-ray christmas card.
And I paint little Santas with black and red marker pens.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 01, 2020, 01:47:22 AM »
That is so great.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 01, 2020, 02:41:36 AM »
I just remembered something macabre. This is always there and you don't see it any more, because it has become normal:
The boss put a picture of a bloody severed hand on one of the centrifuges with a warning not to grab into the centrifuge while it is running... as if anyone would be stupid enough to do that. But the picture is gross.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 01, 2020, 08:01:27 AM »
LOL! I should thinking in placing one of those pics in our own centrifuges.
You reminded me something I had not thought in years and years. In my high school, there was a real severed hand which was in a big flask at my high school. It seems directly from a horror movie, specially because the hand...was not in the best condition. I've felt horrified and fascinated for that at the same time. My school had a sort of Natural Science museum, with a lot of cool things but some of them I did not like at all. One was the big flask with a lamb faetus with 2 heads that I always avoided to look. The other was a small human foetus. Those two...I just couldn't. But all the rest it was great- Bat skeletons, whale vertebrae (we can sit on them!), several discarded serpent skins, real serpents in formaldehyde, things like that.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 01, 2020, 09:38:24 AM »
@Regen: very cool wand. The rubber bands to give it the knotted look, yes? Where does the aluminum foil come in?
Wow.. That painting is quite good. Your daughter is a little scary. Lol
@Dina: Sounds totally disgusting, and I really want to see it now...
The two headed lamb foetus, we had a still born in the farm once like that. It took a lot of work to take it out without hurting the mother.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:41:04 AM by Fcrate »
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 01, 2020, 04:19:48 PM »
@Regen: very cool wand. The rubber bands to give it the knotted look, yes? Where does the aluminum foil come in?
Wow.. That painting is quite good. Your daughter is a little scary. Lol

Maybe because we are related.  ;D
I'm so proud of her. This shows I did something right.  ;D

And yes, the rubber bands are the knots. The aluminium foil is in the handle.

@Dina:
When seeing something like that I always ask myself how did it get in there? Once I asked the pathologist who made those and he told me he didn't know. They were here before his time. But he showed me some frogs, rats and other small animals he prepared himself.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2020, 06:36:49 PM »
Double post:
I forgot, that I wanted to write something about the German titles of the Dresden Files. By the way, my husband is still stuck in the middle of Storm Front. He doesn't read much. But he says he likes the book. OK. He's been reading it for almost a year now. Sigh. This is something we don't have in common. If I like a book, I don't stop reading for weeks, and I read at every opportunity. Even sometimes during cooking. If it wasn't considered impolite, I would even take books to parent's meetings, to have something interesting with me, when the conversation gets boring.  ;)
I always carry some book around with me.

OK, now to the titles.

Storm Front → Sturmnacht
That would translate as Storm Night. To be honest, not a bad title but the German phrasing Sturmfront does also exist and means the same, so why not take that? Whatever *shrugs*

Fool Moon → Wolfsjagd
=Wolf hunt. It's OK.

Grave Peril → Grabesruh
= the quiet or stillness of the grave
Not quite the meaning. The people translating the title either didn't understand the pun or they had no idea how to put that into the title.

Summer Knight → Feenzorn
= the wrath of the fae
That's OK. Referring to the content. There is no way to write a sound alike Summer Knight and Summer Night. The exact translation would be "Sommerritter", but I wouldn't buy a book with a title like that. That sounds like Rosamunde Pilcher doing middle ages. LOL

Death Masks → Silberlinge
referring to the silver coins. I'm not sure about the translation: maybe silverlings?
That title sounds pretty harmless, compared to the content if the book.

Blood Rites → Bluthunger
=blood thirst or more exactly hunger (funny, it's the same word)
I would have called it Blutritual.

Dead Beat → Erlkönig
OK. Someone has read the book and chose the title representing another aspect of the content. The Erlking.

Funny, when I try to describe the books using only one word or one sentence, Dead Beat is "zombie dinosaur" for me. ;D It took me a while to remember the Erlking was in there, too.

Proven Guilty → Schuldig
= guilty. This is the only title I like better in German, because it's only one short and precise word.

White Night → Weiße Nächte
= White nights, plural. Why plural? No idea. A title translated almost exactly, except for the plural.

Small Favor → Kleine Gefallen
The same, also plural.

Turn Coat → Verrat
= treachery, a turncoat would be "Überläufer/ Verräter"

Changes → Wandel
Exact translation even in the context oft the book. Another word would be "Veränderungen", but this doesn't sound quite so fitting as a book title.

Ghost Story → Geistergeschichten
Another word for word translation only set in plural again. It seems, the title creator seemed to like plural.

Cold Days → Eiskalt
=freezing / cold as ice

Skin Game → Blendwerk
Hm, a bit archaic version of "deception". But fitting as a title for this book.

Peace Talks →Friedensgespräche
Word for word and this time the plural is even in the English title. ;)

Battle Ground → ?
I can't find it yet on amazon, but I predict it will be called "Schlachtfeld" or "Schlachtfelder", as the title creator likes plural, LOL

OK. I admit, some of them are not so bad, considering you can't possibly do every pun or wordplay in another language.

Also the Dresden Files are called "Die dunklen Fälle des Harry Dresden"= the dark files/cases of Harry Dresden.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 01, 2020, 07:39:19 PM »
Yes, it is difficult to translate titles when they involve puns.
I don't know all the Spanish titles, but those I remember are La Tormenta (The storm), Luna Llena (Full Moon), La Tumba (the grave, completely avoiding the danger part), El Caballero (the knight), Máscaras de muerte (Death masks, literal), then I am not sure.I believe blood rites became "derecho de sangre", which would be blood rights. And I am pretty sure White Night was translated "El trono blanco (the white throne). Not sure about the others. I think Turn Coat become Renegado (renegade), which is quite fitting actually.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 01, 2020, 09:28:15 PM »
Yes, it is difficult to translate titles when they involve puns.
I don't know all the Spanish titles, but those I remember are La Tormenta (The storm), Luna Llena (Full Moon), La Tumba (the grave, completely avoiding the danger part), El Caballero (the knight), Máscaras de muerte (Death masks, literal), then I am not sure.I believe blood rites became "derecho de sangre", which would be blood rights. And I am pretty sure White Night was translated "El trono blanco (the white throne). Not sure about the others. I think Turn Coat become Renegado (renegade), which is quite fitting actually.
Yes, I think renegado is right. The Spanish titles pop up, when I just put in the author's name in the search function.
La tormenta I have seen, too. This confused me the first time. I thought it was a new book. Thought it means " torture" at first until I saw it was the Spanish title of Storm Front. LOL
Mascaras de muerte I like. Definitely better than death masks or Silberlinge.
Would summer knight be el caballero de verano?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 01, 2020, 09:34:33 PM »
Yes, or probably "el caballero del verano" . It's a subtle nuance. Literally, would be the difference between "of summer" and "off the summer". In Spanish, sounds more natural "el caballero del verano"

How weird that the Spanish name appears in your browser
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 01, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »
Ah, thank you. Yes, it's weird. I never bought any book in Spanish.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 01, 2020, 09:54:34 PM »
I like your line about Buffy patrolling tonight  :)
Yes, or probably "el caballero del verano" . It's a subtle nuance. Literally, would be the difference between "of summer" and "off the summer". In Spanish, sounds more natural "el caballero del verano"

How weird that the Spanish name appears in your browser
I meant "of the summer", not off
Missing you, Md