Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240409 times)

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #285 on: October 22, 2020, 06:25:55 PM »
((((Otlan))))))

I am sure we have to have a similar saying, but I can't think one right now.

Local expressions or idioms are so fun. For example, when you want to tell someone that you are too angry and not in the mood of being disturbed, here we say "el horno no está para bollos", which literally means "the oven is not ready for bollos". Now, as far as I know, bollos are the name used in other Latin America countries for quite small breads, but we don't use that word. We use the word "bollos" for several other things, but not one related with ovens. So, the expression is never used in its literal sense in Argentina.

*Huggles back* Hi Di-Di n_n !

Yes, idioms are very fun. *Chuckles* I like that expression XD . And I get it, it kind of means your overworked, tired, exhausted, you just need a brake. I like that n_n . I can't think of a similar expression we have in English, don't think there is one.

@Arjan: Well yes, usually we say our saying at something or someone when we're pissed off at them/it and are about to do something that will lead to cuts and bruises XD.  In the context, it means your done screwing around and are about to get serious.

Two washing Machines?? That seems a little hard to believe. I've head of people with washers and dryers, but never two washing machines.

@PD: Yo n_n !
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 22, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »
*Huggles back* Hi Di-Di n_n !

Yes, idioms are very fun. *Chuckles* I like that expression XD . And I get it, it kind of means your overworked, tired, exhausted, you just need a brake. I like that n_n . I can't think of a similar expression we have in English, don't think there is one.

@Arjan: Well yes, usually we say our saying at something or someone when we're pissed off at them/it and are about to do something that will lead to cuts and bruises XD.  In the context, it means your done screwing around and are about to get serious.

Two washing Machines?? That seems a little hard to believe. I've head of people with washers and dryers, but never two washing machines.

@PD: Yo n_n !
My wife heard it. Really big families.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »
My wife heard it. Really big families.

People must make good money then. That's exspensive on every level.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 22, 2020, 07:50:32 PM »
Good maen, everyone! Busy today, so of course when I came here I discovered that I missed everyone. Glad to see you back, PD!

I've heard rumors of a couple of families with two washing machines, but I can definitely vouch for one of them. It was almost cheating, because the grandma had moved to her daughter home to help with the children (5 I believe) and she took her own machine with her. So sometimes they used both machines at the same time, but not always. That way they could sort the white clothes from the other ones.

Apparently we are going to buy churros today. Despite what you may think, I have not eat them in several weeks so I am looking forward to it. Argentinian churros, unlike Spaniard ones, are filled with dulce de leche. I don't remember what is the case with Mexican ones.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 22, 2020, 09:08:06 PM »
People must make good money then. That's exspensive on every level.
Found it on a Dutch site. Dutch farmers with a strict religious background and ten children.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 26, 2020, 06:26:42 AM »
MAEN all.Today I threw my cat at a rat, maybe 4-4.5 m up the wall. After a minor course correction, the cat got it, and successfully landed on the ground. Where her kits immediately stole it from her and started fighting over it. This is the third successful maneuver of this kind, although the first one where she came back meowing for dinner. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 26, 2020, 06:31:22 AM »
Good maen!!
Well, the kids are learning.

How are you?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 26, 2020, 07:25:10 AM »
I'm fine, Dina, thanks. And you?
Temperatures are decreasing here, so summer is officially over. Thank God.
Still holding out on Battle Ground, trying to make it last.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 26, 2020, 07:32:08 AM »
Instead, it is becoming hotter but the last few days have been rainy and windy, so it feels like Winter.  It's good to stay home.
I am very fine. Sunday evening we played some RPG (via zoom). It was fun. And I've been watching tv most of the weekend (except for a few hours of housecleaning).
I am glad you are making BG last. Do you remember what chapter are you in?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 26, 2020, 07:37:54 AM »
Um, I didn't explain correctly. I meant I haven't started yet, except for page one. Once I start I'll never be able to stop.
RPG via zoom, what's that like? I bet it was a bit complicated.
I've always wanted to play RPGs, but nobody around me does this sort of thing. The only RPGs I have ever played either include blowing up tanks and helicopters or slashing at demons in Diablo game.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 26, 2020, 07:48:09 AM »
Ah, all right about BG.

It's not complicated actually, I was surprised of how easy it was the first time (which was around March, before even the lockdown, when it was just a suggestion not to gather indoors). We have been playing almost every week and it has been very fun. And we don't eat as many snacks, which is less funny but healthier.
I wish I could invite you to play some day, but we don't play in English.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 26, 2020, 07:53:53 AM »
That's alright Dina, thanks. I'm glad you're having fun with this. The amount of time I spend gaming online has increased dramatically since the outbreak of covid. As has everyone else's. I get together with my brothers twice a week and we play some CoD.
I've just read your earlier post and it reminded me that I need to do some cleaning as well. Thanks for that. -.-

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2020, 08:12:39 AM »
Sorry, not my intention  :)

Still, lockdown is a great moment to learn how to play table RPG. You just need to find a good group.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »
Yes, lock down is a great time to do many things, including finally learning French, but I mostly finish work and then lazily hang around on my bed, reading. Sometimes I muster the energy to sit up and shoot some people in CoD, but that's about it.
It's funny, but I seem to get less things done than before.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2020, 08:57:20 AM »
Well, RPG is much easier than learn French  :)
Missing you, Md