Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240361 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:58 PM »
I am not a translator myself but translation is always a compromise.

Take this dutch saying:

Alle gekheid op een stokje

The literal translation is: all crazyness on a little stick.

It means: time to get serious

But like every translation the meaning and all associated feelings with the words can be slightly different. You could try a similar saying in english (I don't know one) but you never get it completely right. I think literal means follow the words as far as possible and a free translation sacrifices the literal meaning for a better representation of the original idea.

But it also depends on what you are translating. Translating poetry is a challenge if you also want to preserve some ryme for example.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »
Yes, or songs. I understand exactly what you mean.
Also, technically I am a translator. I mean, I've got an (unofficial) title in an important private academy. Two problems, though. One is that I am a translator French-Spanish, which have quite similar logic and syntax. The other is that that was almost 20 years ago, so I have it quite rusty. So, I can't help much when speaking about English translations (and of course, I know nothing of Dutch).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2020, 10:58:53 AM »
Hello weird... :D
It's laundry day.... Again.. I've been dreading this for two weeks...
On the bright side, I bought Battle Ground yesterday, and I'm keeping it till Friday at least. Have to stretch it out until The Rhythm of War in November. Once I start reading, it'll take me two days at most, so...
But I haven't read the sample chapters yet, so that's something. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2020, 03:51:36 PM »
Hello weird... :D
It's laundry day.... Again.. I've been dreading this for two weeks...
On the bright side, I bought Battle Ground yesterday, and I'm keeping it till Friday at least. Have to stretch it out until The Rhythm of War in November. Once I start reading, it'll take me two days at most, so...
But I haven't read the sample chapters yet, so that's something. :D
Here every day is laundry day.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2020, 06:07:52 PM »
And thus you have earned my respect, and maybe a little sympathy.
I live alone, and I only do laundry when I have nothing left to wear. Lol

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2020, 06:20:03 PM »
Hello Fcrate!
I don't do laundry myself (except for underwear and the occasional very delicate piece of clothes that need to be washed by hand). The rest mostly goes to laundromatic twice a week.

Well, BG is a ride and sometimes is tiring, but is not particularly long, so yeah- But after you read it, you will have the chance to come to the forum and read all the threads. Oh, all the WAGs, the critics, the discussions. You will be in November without realizing it
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »
I have to do laundry every week. It cost me about $10-$20, depending if I have quarters left over from the previous week.

@Arjan: A similler saying to Alle gekheid op een stokje in English would be "No more Mr. Nice Guy."
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2020, 02:30:06 AM »
((((Otlan))))))

I am sure we have to have a similar saying, but I can't think one right now.

Local expressions or idioms are so fun. For example, when you want to tell someone that you are too angry and not in the mood of being disturbed, here we say "el horno no está para bollos", which literally means "the oven is not ready for bollos". Now, as far as I know, bollos are the name used in other Latin America countries for quite small breads, but we don't use that word. We use the word "bollos" for several other things, but not one related with ovens. So, the expression is never used in its literal sense in Argentina.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2020, 05:31:29 AM »
I have to do laundry every week. It cost me about $10-$20, depending if I have quarters left over from the previous week.

@Arjan: A similler saying to Alle gekheid op een stokje in English would be "No more Mr. Nice Guy."
It is similar but it has a different feeling to it. It both changes the content and mood of the conversation but I think they have different before and after content. The Dutch expression is more from a funny banter avoiding the problems to tackle to a serieus conversation about problems to tackle. Together.

We have a family of three and a son who does not mind his stuf gets dirty. That generates a lot of laundry. It might not be literally every day but it gets close. But I have heard of people who have two washing machines.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2020, 05:57:39 AM »
"two washing machines". That would be crazy, but yes, I've heard that too.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2020, 06:52:30 AM »
My neighbors have 6 kids between the age of 2 and 13 - I think - they have a huge fully automated washing machine, and a smaller one.
I mean, just so sound of the machine depresses me, not to mention the very irritating hum of the cycle. I once bought 2 pairs of underwear that I didn't need just to delay the laundry.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »
I understand. Also, I don't like your neighbors, you know.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »
Hah, it's not what you think, really.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2020, 06:31:51 PM »
Oh, ok
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »
*pops in to see who’s about*