Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 7826 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:58 PM »
I am not a translator myself but translation is always a compromise.

Take this dutch saying:

Alle gekheid op een stokje

The literal translation is: all crazyness on a little stick.

It means: time to get serious

But like every translation the meaning and all associated feelings with the words can be slightly different. You could try a similar saying in english (I don't know one) but you never get it completely right. I think literal means follow the words as far as possible and a free translation sacrifices the literal meaning for a better representation of the original idea.

But it also depends on what you are translating. Translating poetry is a challenge if you also want to preserve some ryme for example.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »
Yes, or songs. I understand exactly what you mean.
Also, technically I am a translator. I mean, I've got an (unofficial) title in an important private academy. Two problems, though. One is that I am a translator French-Spanish, which have quite similar logic and syntax. The other is that that was almost 20 years ago, so I have it quite rusty. So, I can't help much when speaking about English translations (and of course, I know nothing of Dutch).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)