Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240289 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »
I've meant "you" in a generic way, not "you" personally (what actually is one of the problems of English for me).

And no, you said you had read a lot of the book by the time I told you to brace up, I was more thinking in the climax and the ending. About the Outsiders, not sure I agree (but I won't discuss more of it in this area of the forum)
Two different words in some languages.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 17, 2020, 07:39:26 PM »
Two different words in some languages.

*Nods Sagically* u.u ...
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2020, 07:48:13 PM »
Yes, like in Spanish. That is why the English "you" sometimes confuses me. Still, there are clases where even in Spanish the use is confuse. Like when you say "one does that thing" but you don't mean one person but "any given person".

But don't believe English is so bad, it's only a little vague sometimes.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2020, 08:10:09 PM »
Yes, like in Spanish. That is why the English "you" sometimes confuses me. Still, there are clases where even in Spanish the use is confuse. Like when you say "one does that thing" but you don't mean one person but "any given person".

I gotcha, like when Barhomier said, "One dose not simply walk into Mordor." He wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just that it was a task that simply could not be done.

Well the problem with English is all the slang terms you. For example, "You" can refer to a single individual, but "Ya'll" Can refer to one person, or a group of people.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2020, 08:12:55 PM »

In dutch there is a separate word for it but it is not always used so that can cause confusion as well. We also have a more polite form comparable with french tu and vous. Language changes though because I often heard the polite form in my youth and now it is barely used.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2020, 08:26:55 PM »
Yes, Otlan, is the same in Spanish.

Arjan, yes, in Spanish we have Tú and Vosotros, with the same sense that in French, but Vosotros is only actually used in Spain, while in Latin America we say "ustedes". And the verbs that go with those pronouns have different form (I mean, for example, "vosotros amais" vs "ustedes aman". But to complicate things even more, Argentinians do not use "tú" but "vos", and the verbs are conjugated in a different way than if they were with "tú".
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
*Chuckles* This reminds me of our discussions in the Swareing Thread XD .

In English we say thing like "it's impossible" or "you can't do that" I like the way you guys say it better n_n .

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
In dutch there is a separate word for it but it is not always used so that can cause confusion as well. We also have a more polite form comparable with french tu and vous. Language changes though because I often heard the polite form in my youth and now it is barely used.
That is interesting about the polite way being discarded by use. Apparently that is what happened with vosotros and its transformation in ustedes- By the way, we (Latin Americans) also have a formal "usted" use for a single person.

Otlan, I did not understand what you mean by that. We have things similar to "it's impossible" or "you can't do that"
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2020, 08:51:17 PM »
That is interesting about the polite way being discarded by use. Apparently that is what happened with vosotros and its transformation in ustedes- By the way, we (Latin Americans) also have a formal "usted" use for a single person.

Otlan, I did not understand what you mean by that. We have things similar to "it's impossible" or "you can't do that"

Sorry Dina, I was referring to your use "one dose that thing." Folks in America don't really talk that way. We tend to be more straight forward and to the point. I think that's why people in other countries tend to see us as rude or crass.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2020, 08:57:06 PM »
It's complicated. Sometimes you use one option, sometimes you use another. We have similar phrasings, we also say the same things English speaker say, more or less. Only it seems like Latin languages are more versatile in some aspects. But don't worry, it does not sound rude. (And I believe the fame of rude is only because people of other countries is resented by USA power, nothing else. I mean, there are many rude people in USA and they are highlighted by the whole world, while there are many rude people here but it is not so well-known because the rest of the world couldn't care less).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
Sorry Dina, I was referring to your use "one dose that thing." Folks in America don't really talk that way. We tend to be more straight forward and to the point. I think that's why people in other countries tend to see us as rude or crass.
That is why you should not translate literally. But the dutch can be pretty straightforward as well.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2020, 09:21:40 PM »
If you want to share, where are you from, Arjan?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »
It's complicated. Sometimes you use one option, sometimes you use another. We have similar phrasings, we also say the same things English speaker say, more or less. Only it seems like Latin languages are more versatile in some aspects. But don't worry, it does not sound rude. (And I believe the fame of rude is only because people of other countries is resented by USA power, nothing else. I mean, there are many rude people in USA and they are highlighted by the whole world, while there are many rude people here but it is not so well-known because the rest of the world couldn't care less).

*Nods* Latin is a lot more Versatile then English. For example, you can can say the same phrase, but depending on how you say it, it takes on a diffrent meaning. In English, that's a lot harder to do without changing...Ooohhh, what's it's called. The inflection you put on the words? I think that's it. Language is not my forte n_n; .

Well, ya, I could see that. Dose help we put Assholes in power and then they act like Assholes to other countries -_- . There are good people living here too though. Problem is they get overshadowed by the Assholes -_- .

@Arjan: There's another way to translate? I have no knowledge of the Dutch Culture, so I can't weigh in there.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2020, 09:40:04 PM »
If you want to share, where are you from, Arjan?
Netherlands. A small town in the province of Southern Holland between The Hague and Amsterdam.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2020, 09:50:33 PM »
Sounds so good. Thank you  :)
Missing you, Md