Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244395 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2020, 07:50:23 AM »
I am working from home since March, just the normal work I used to do at the office. I do miss regular contact with some people but I do see my family more often and got a better bonding with my cats.

Worst thing happened is that one of the person who took care of my son got Corona and we had to keep him home and quarantaine for ten days.

And we had to cancel a trip to France. Did not want to risk it. Just first world problems really.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2020, 07:55:59 AM »
LOL, you can watch Emily in Paris. I've actually been in Paris a few days ago and I began watching Emily in Paris just to try to see a little of the city. So pretty. (Only episode 4, I believe). It has handsome men to watch too  :D

Hubby and I are working from home since March too, and in the first semester I give my classes (I am a TA at the university) via Zoom. It was very different, very interesting and weird. It was also surprisingly pleasant, I liked it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2020, 08:34:06 AM »
It is just that my son has severe autism and we can only do short trips when he is in the respite home for a few days. We can not really risk not getting home on time and things were unreliable with sudden new travel bans popping up on a daily base.

We went to Paris a few years ago, I wanted to see the Louvre and the statue of Gudea in particular.

https://www.louvre.fr/en/oeuvre-notices/gudea-prince-lagash-seated-statue-dedicated-god-ningishzida

We tried to find it but every time we found a route it was blocked because another room was closed because of la Greve. We just were lucky our train did depart, others did not.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2020, 08:38:12 PM »
Well, even without any children I wouldn't risk a travel to Paris, is too uncertain (in fact, I don't think my country is allowing trips to France right now. I mean, yes, you can go, it's the coming home what I don't think it is allowed).
How is your son taking the quarantine measures?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2020, 08:53:18 PM »
Well, even without any children I wouldn't risk a travel to Paris, is too uncertain (in fact, I don't think my country is allowing trips to France right now. I mean, yes, you can go, it's the coming home what I don't think it is allowed).
How is your son taking the quarantine measures?
Better than we thought actually but he is more tiresome because all kind of outdoor activities he liked and tired him a bit became difficult. He liked crowds and eating spicy food and that is a bit problematic now.

I wouldn't go to Paris now even if it was allowed because all those measures make a city trip too complicated and not enjoyable anyway.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2020, 09:28:48 PM »
You are right about Paris.

Out of curiosity, why is it difficult to get spicy food now for you?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
You are right about Paris.

Out of curiosity, why is it difficult to get spicy food now for you?
I can make it myself of course and I do but what I used to do with my son is visit places in our local chinatown and try things. There is a chinese bakery he likes to visit and a shop where you can get durian ice cream and a lunchroom that is very child friendly where I can get all kind of dishes.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2020, 10:42:57 PM »
Ah, I was thinking that you could do take away or have it delivered to your home, but I understand that going to the place is part of the experience that your kid enjoys.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2020, 05:44:14 PM »
Most first world countries are rich enough to prevent at least the worst of it otherwise they just lack the political will to do so. It is just a matter of implementing some safety nets until the worst is over. So no I do not expect mass rioting and civil war unless those governments mishandle things on a scale unheard of until now.

Arjan, Donald Trump is the current President of the United States -_- . How much more Mishandled do you think our Government is?

@Dina: Maby your right Dina. Maby I'm panicking over nothing. In my town, the majority of people ware mask, especially the Essential workers like me. We use hand sanitizer and wash our hands. We did have one case of COVID where I work, but nobody else got infected, the person recoverd, and we didn't see another spike in cases until the college students came back. I guess we'll see were the chips fall.

Oh! Finished reading BG a couple of days ago n_n . What exactly was I supposed to brace myself for? There were some things I didn't see coming, but most of it I saw coming from a mile away.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2020, 06:49:35 PM »
Arjan, Donald Trump is the current President of the United States -_- . How much more Mishandled do you think our Government is?
Ah you are living there, I live in Europe.

I don’t think it will get much worse, there is a limit to what Trump can mess up domestically and with a bit of luck he is gone next year.

But a lot of what is going on is structurally and is going wrong for years now before Trump. It is just more visible partly thanks to modern technology. 
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2020, 07:53:26 PM »
Ok Otlan, if you don't see a spike of cases then you may try open some things, but mind you, when we try to do that, our cases began to rise.

Ok, SERIOUS SPOILER ABOUT BG, don't read unless you finished it:
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2020, 12:19:00 AM »
Ah you are living there, I live in Europe.

I don’t think it will get much worse, there is a limit to what Trump can mess up domestically and with a bit of luck he is gone next year.

But a lot of what is going on is structurally and is going wrong for years now before Trump. It is just more visible partly thanks to modern technology.

Oh believe me, that man will find a way to make it worse -_- .

And ya, I know things have been getting bad for awhile now. There was one man who tried to fix things, and everyone Crutchfield him for it -_- . I mean Barack Obama. At least he tried. Trump just said fuck it and started targeting everything apart -_- .

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 16, 2020, 12:25:40 AM »
Ok Otlan, if you don't see a spike of cases then you may try open some things, but mind you, when we try to do that, our cases began to rise.

Ok, SERIOUS SPOILER ABOUT BG, don't read unless you finished it:
(click to show/hide)

It ain't up to me, it's up to our govoner, who just threatened to cut Schools Funding in the Hot Zones who weren't following the rules.

(click to show/hide)

And is it just me, of dose it seem like the Outsiders are bound more to Natural Law then Wizards are? Makes you wonder who the real Monsters are.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 16, 2020, 01:20:27 AM »
I've meant "you" in a generic way, not "you" personally (what actually is one of the problems of English for me).

And no, you said you had read a lot of the book by the time I told you to brace up, I was more thinking in the climax and the ending. About the Outsiders, not sure I agree (but I won't discuss more of it in this area of the forum)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2020, 07:27:12 PM »
I've meant "you" in a generic way, not "you" personally (what actually is one of the problems of English for me).

And no, you said you had read a lot of the book by the time I told you to brace up, I was more thinking in the climax and the ending. About the Outsiders, not sure I agree (but I won't discuss more of it in this area of the forum)

Ah, that my bad then n_n; . Ya, English is a pain in the rear sometimes -_- .

Ya, that I did not see coming, and it kind of made me laugh my ass off XD . Honestly though, I'm glad Jim included the Christmas Eve Short story at the end. After everything that had happened in BG, it was nice to have that moment of Heart and Humor n_n .

To the PMs then XD !