Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240546 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2020, 09:21:19 PM »
((((((((WF))))))))) Hello! Level 36 here (IIRC)
I also read BG. It was exhausting, also mind blowing in a way. Besides that, all is well. Only this week is interesting because I've been seen conferences on a meeting of my specialty...from around 5 to 11 a.m.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »
Reading it was like doing a sprint pace over a marathon distance. My eyes were blurry towards the end. Darn bifocals.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2020, 10:46:02 PM »
My problem was that my eyes got tired with my kindle, so I decided not too read too much at the same time. Also, it was exhausting in the emotional sense, like watching a Game of Thrones episode
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2020, 06:58:59 PM »
S’up, Dresdenites?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2020, 08:45:26 PM »
(((((((((PD)))))))))
How are you? Good to see you!  :D
Have you read PT/BG?
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »
Not yet. I promise to get around to it. :P
In other news, I have new glasses. The old ones practically had dirt ground into the lenses.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2020, 10:11:57 PM »
Hello again!
I know what you mean and I am glad you have new glasses! So, are you liking how you see life now?
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2020, 10:24:08 PM »
The new glasses are very well.

But life has effectively ground to a halt because my government has lost its mind in its overreaction to a respiratory ailment. 4000 British medical experts have written to the government to that effect. Following the rules is like playing Calvinball, they change so rapidly and unpredictably. 110,000 people have had to wait for over a year to get treatment because the NHS has been preserved in amber so “it’s not overwhelmed”. Professor Karel Sikora, Oncologist at the University of Manchester, predicts between 20,000 - 50,000 excess deaths from cancer due to this hyper focus.

COVID-19 is a blip. The long term consequences of the overreaction will not be. Especially the psychological ones.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 10:28:13 PM by PilgrimDan »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2020, 10:28:08 PM »
Oh I completely disagree. People is dying like flies from Covid and still they want to go for a beer or a coffee. My city has allowed bars to be open and have people in the tables (luckily, outside so far) and I am very worried for that. There are plans to go back to school and the number of cases keep raising. I feel like many people has stopped caring.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2020, 08:13:22 PM »
Almost done reading BG. In the home stretch now. Gotta say, so far only thing happened I didn't see coming. The rest I kind of already predicted and was proven right. Sometimes I hate it when I'm right -_- . This has been quite the Rollercoster ride though -_- .

As for the Whole Covid thing, I have to agree with PD on this. You see, my countries burning, both literally and metaphorically. Hundreds of Thousands in not millions of people are with out jobs or homes right now. They're ability to do anything is extremely limited, what with most everything shut down/permantly closed. Instead of helping the people that are in desperate need, my governments to busy fighting over which brain dead fucking moron gets to be King, and Winter is coming, which means a .ot of people are going to Starve/Freeze to Death. A lot more people then this fucking Virus has even killed in my country.

The long term ramifications from this, are going to be the real nightmare, and the people who should care. Who should be doing something. Who claim ownership of the people they're supposed to protect, are literally sitting on they're fucking hands, and doing nothing. This Virus, is nothing, compared to that.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 13, 2020, 09:30:15 PM »
Yeah, wait until the ending and then you tell me how much of it you predicted  :)

Oh yes, my country is burning metaphorically too. Lot of job losses, stores closing for ever, things like that. The government is doing with they can, helping the poorer, but that means middle class (in general) is doing quite poorly. We are a poor country, we simply don't have the money to help everyone, so they choose to help the poorer. It's just not enough. So people is in the streets, protesting and asking that they open everything (we have been slowly opening things, and in all cases, the Covid cases rised). But I prefer jobless than dead, so I want lockdown, I want things close, I want people caring for the others. People is dying, I don't understand how other people don't care. I know you may think I say it because I have a job and I am doing fine, but believe me, I say because I am scared. Terrible scared.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2020, 10:45:50 PM »
Yeah, wait until the ending and then you tell me how much of it you predicted  :)

Oh yes, my country is burning metaphorically too. Lot of job losses, stores closing for ever, things like that. The government is doing with they can, helping the poorer, but that means middle class (in general) is doing quite poorly. We are a poor country, we simply don't have the money to help everyone, so they choose to help the poorer. It's just not enough. So people is in the streets, protesting and asking that they open everything (we have been slowly opening things, and in all cases, the Covid cases rised). But I prefer jobless than dead, so I want lockdown, I want things close, I want people caring for the others. People is dying, I don't understand how other people don't care. I know you may think I say it because I have a job and I am doing fine, but believe me, I say because I am scared. Terrible scared.

Will do n_n .

And I understand that Dina. I understand people being scared. But your not thinking. What happens when they're are no more jobs? What happens when people can no longer afford food, clothing and housing? What happens when your economy literally implodes? Your country is going to collapse. People are going to starve or be murder for what they have, rioting and looting will run rampant. People will die by the score, and your country will likely never recover.

Now, Picture that on a Global Scale. People want things to reopen, because our very survival depends on it. Cowering in fear will solve nothing. It's worse then doing nothing Dina. The world as we know it, is quite literally standing on the brink of Oblivion. All it's going to take is one little push, and when the Dominoes begin to fall, there will be no stopping it. People know that, and they're afraid.

The people trying to get things open again? They're the ones starting into that gapping maw, though they may not realize it. They're trying to pull the world back from the brink. They're not heros, but they're smart enough to know we're all of us in trouble. Deep trouble.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2020, 11:22:44 PM »
Will do n_n .

And I understand that Dina. I understand people being scared. But your not thinking. What happens when they're are no more jobs? What happens when people can no longer afford food, clothing and housing? What happens when your economy literally implodes? Your country is going to collapse. People are going to starve or be murder for what they have, rioting and looting will run rampant. People will die by the score, and your country will likely never recover.

Now, Picture that on a Global Scale. People want things to reopen, because our very survival depends on it. Cowering in fear will solve nothing. It's worse then doing nothing Dina. The world as we know it, is quite literally standing on the brink of Oblivion. All it's going to take is one little push, and when the Dominoes begin to fall, there will be no stopping it. People know that, and they're afraid.

The people trying to get things open again? They're the ones starting into that gapping maw, though they may not realize it. They're trying to pull the world back from the brink. They're not heros, but they're smart enough to know we're all of us in trouble. Deep trouble.

What happens when they're are no more jobs? What happens when people can no longer afford food, clothing and housing? What happens when your economy literally implodes? Your country is going to collapse. People are going to starve or be murder for what they have, rioting and looting will run rampant. People will die by the score, and your country will likely never recover.

That is your first World vision talking. That happens every 10 years here. And no, very few people actually starves or is murdered for food. We recover, moderately. Some decades we can even get better than we were the decade before. And never as many people dies as with the Covid, or so awfully, or, the most important, risking so many other people. Cowering in fear solves nothing. What solves, well, everything in this case, is staying at home, and when you get out keep the distance, use masks and wash your hands. Stop doing bbq, gender revealing parties, going out with your friends. Stop going out for a beer. (and in your country, stop complaining and use masks!). Stop going to buy things.
We were doing great with few cases until people began complaining and asking openings and decided not to hear to the government. Now we are the 5 country in the world in cases, with a much smaller population. And it is because people is selfish and don't care for the others. Don't care for their parents, or grandparents, for sick people, for inmunodepressed, for me, for my hubby, for my cousin's mother in law, for my boss wife, for my elder neighbor, for many others.
And what is worse, we have no excuse. We knew what happened in the European Winter. We knew it and we were cocky because things were going well. And you have no excuse either, because you knew what happened in the European Winter and you knew what happened with us. We are a cautionary tale, and apparently you won't listen.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2020, 05:25:28 AM »
Will do n_n .

Most first world countries are rich enough to prevent at least the worst of it otherwise they just lack the political will to do so. It is just a matter of implementing some safety nets until the worst is over. So no I do not expect mass rioting and civil war unless those governments mishandle things on a scale unheard of until now.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2020, 07:06:28 AM »
Ok, and social commentary aside, how is everyone doing? I've working in a small video I need to do explaining a poster for a workshop (as it will be all virtual). Last week has been fun. I've been watching lectures and things in another scientific meeting hold on France. So it began at 5 a.m. my time (and ended at 6:30, 7:30 or 10:30 depending of the day). It was fun. Monday it was a holiday here (something like Columbus Day) so I took it as free and was lazy.
Missing you, Md