Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240278 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2020, 07:43:53 PM »
((((((PD))))))
What is a secondary world?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »
Tolkien came up with the term in his 1947 essay On Fairy Stories, which I recommend getting hold of if you can. But it can refer to any internally consistent fictional or fantasy world. It is called “secondary world” to distinguish it from the real “primary world”.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:53:45 PM by PilgrimDan »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »
Ah, thanks, I did not know the term.

I forgot to answer about the Crown, I agree with you, it is well done. I have been enjoying it and looking forward for the next season.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:12 AM »
Another is Blacklisted By History: Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America’s Enemies by journalist M Stanton Evans, which is a tome.
Does it paint McCarthy in a positive light? Because that is a...controversial position, to put it delicately.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2020, 03:54:59 AM »
LOL! You think?  :P
I actually chose not to ask about that
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2020, 04:56:14 AM »
Is he as infamous outside the US as he is in the US? Controversial is about the most polite word I could think of to describe McCarthy. :P
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2020, 03:18:26 PM »
Just read the book, is all I’ll say, and make up your own mind.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:01:25 AM by PilgrimDan »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2020, 11:37:28 PM »
Is he as infamous outside the US as he is in the US? Controversial is about the most polite word I could think of to describe McCarthy. :P
Well, the "idea" of him is very infamous. I mean, we know about blacklist, anti-commie activities and the word "mcCarthysm". We also know, more or less, when all that happen. But in general we have not idea who he was. I mean, if he was married, if he had children, how and when he died.
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2020, 11:00:30 AM »
And there’s a very good reason for that, as the book explains in great detail. I’d give some bullet points here, but TT.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2020, 08:00:42 PM »
It's ok  :)
I had a mean headache today but I am pain free now. Still, I feel lazy, so probably won't be doing anything productive today.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2020, 12:59:27 AM »
Hello weird!
Dina, I feel for you. Headaches are the worst. :/
My copy of PT will arrive when my sister comes to visit next week :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2020, 05:00:41 AM »
((((((Fcrate!))))))  I missed you!

To be honest, I rarely have bad headaches or migraines. I can't complain, I've seen what those things can do to my friends. But sometimes (like the other day) I had a persistent low-key headache that mostly breaks my concentration. Sometimes it is a dehydration problem, I know because after having a glass of water or two it gets better, but sometimes I don't know where it came from. Stress perhaps, or lack of sleep. In most cases it fades without need to any medicine, but if it is worse, an ibuprofen helps. That is what I did this time.

Oh, so you are looking forward some fun! Fair warning, I thought the first episodes were slow and somewhat disjointed, but then it gets more interesting (at least, that is my opinion).

Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2020, 12:57:03 AM »
I missed you too Dina :) My sister arrives in 3 days, and I'll go meet her at the airport. It doesn't have anything to do with getting my copy of PT, let me tell you. Just brotherly love and duty as a bag carrier :D
Migraines run in the family on my mother's side. Luckily, I'm the only one of my brothers and sisters to get them, and with more exercize, slightly better diet and (mostly) stress-free living in the countryside, I don't suffer them as often or as severely.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:59:27 AM by Fcrate »
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2020, 01:00:48 PM »
(((Fcrate))) I am glad most of your family is free of that issue, but sorry about you. It is good that you found great ways to cope. I agree stress seem to be a serious trigger, so it is good that your life is perhaps less hectic that many people in the big cities.

I have to go before I have a Zoom meeting but be good with your duty with your sister. Is she moving back Egypt or is just visiting? I don't know Egypt travel restrictions

I'll be back (much) later
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2020, 07:16:13 PM »
!!!!!Fcrate!!!!!
I missed you, too. :)
Enjoy your sister's visit. And the book. :D
Headaches are evil. I have them often. Mostly it is because I feel change in weather. We have that a lot here during summer. Or when I eat to much raw garlic or onions. But then it is my own fault and I choose to live with the consequences.  ::)
Real migraines I don't have very often, and I'm very glad about it. Those, when you can only stay in the dark, every little noise threatens to make your head explode and sometimes it makes you throw up. Good for you that you have found a way to deal with it.

I've been doing a lot of funny things these last days. I've worked a lot during July, so I can stay mostly at home during school holidays. I hope they don't call me, because I'm only at home from the hours I have worked, I'm not on vacation. Those who are just reducing work hours are usually called in first.
So I try to enjoy the time I have.
I'm sitting outside now and waiting for the bats. The sun is almost gone, they will be here any time now.... Ah, damn that was just a sleepy bird... But soon I will see the bats.
The kids are watching Frozen 2. We were in the local open air bath today and yesterday. That's really nice now that you have to announce yourself the evening before. And they only let in 400 people. So it is not crowded as usual without covid. They open from 10-13, then time to disinfect everything and in the afternoon from 14-18.

As I can't read anything else until I've read Battle Ground, I started a read along with a friend who currently reads Changes. But she is faster. I'm still at Turn Coat. We compare the translation. Sometimes it is really good, but sometimes the joke is lost, because you can't translate it into German. Mostly the language based jokes.

And joy: there was the first bat. You have to look at the same spot you saw the first, because the usually have a hunting routine.