Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244624 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2020, 10:06:08 PM »
So I've been told. I only check reddit once in a while to see a particular thing. I did not explore it too much.
How are you doing?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2020, 06:17:04 AM »
(((((((((DC)))))))))))))
I don't think any of those things are true but I do suspect
(click to show/hide)
Yeah I can see that.

Well, if you will go to Reddit, best be prepared for madness and salt.
Most of the subs I frequent are pretty good about that, honestly, but yeah I'm not sure what I expected.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2020, 06:37:27 AM »
*glomps DC* Hi! How are you doing?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2020, 09:02:42 PM »
Yeah I can see that.
Most of the subs I frequent are pretty good about that, honestly, but yeah I'm not sure what I expected.

A Youtuber I follow calls it “REEEEEEEddit”, REEEEEEEEE being the sound of autistic screeching. (Autistic being used in the non-medical sense.)

BTW, as a sidebar, is it me, or does this board seem a lot quieter than it was? Weird used to move like a rocket, and the RPG area is virtually dead. It’s not like the old days. Is nostalgic
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:06:30 PM by PilgrimDan »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2020, 07:22:09 AM »
Yes, it is a lot quieter. And you were one of those keeping it alive, now, not so many people here (And Regen and others seem to be busy now, or perhaps it is the other way around, and they are on holidays). I know some of the people is doing fine (Ren, Chiana, Spot, CWG) but I am worried about Snowy (she is not answering my mails and I don't know her FB or twitter. Apparently many cool people are there now)

So, have you read Peace Talks?

My students had their second test this week, I hope they did well.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2020, 08:09:32 AM »
Hey there!!!
I was busy and tired. ;)
To be honest, I'm still busy and tired, but at the moment I'm sitting in front of my second morning coffee. I need that to be able to continue. We are having guests today. It's birthday week. Yay.
Thank God the family will come in the afternoon. Weather prognosis says, it will be sunny then. Or at least not raining, I hope. That's the other side of the coin, if you have a summer birthday. You have to prepare both for outside and for inside. But if you can stay outside, it is great.

We were lucky yesterday. We went to a corn maze with my big daughter and some of her friends for her kid's birthday party. The maze isn't difficult or big, but you have to find the 15 questions hidden everywhere inside and answer them correctly. That's always fun for everyone. Also there is a large playground there with lots of tables and benches, most of them under roofs.
We were there last year, too. And I think we will continue to go there on her birthdays until the kids are too old to have fun there. I saw a maybe 15 year old boy and he didn't look bored. So yes, the future birthday location is secured.

And yuck! I just got touched by a wet cat!!!!

I did kind of a re-read of Peace Talks this week. I didn't have time to read, so I listened to the audio book. Nice.
You can do that while doing boring work like laundry or cleaning. But careful when baking: "did I put in the sugar already or not...?"  ;D

I'm not sure if we will travel somewhere. I have two weeks extra from when I worked so much over time during the beginning of Covid19. Perhaps we will drive to Austria. There is a lake, we like and there's family around. But we will ask our relatives first, because it would be bad, if there was a second lockdown and they wouldn't let us go home again in time. The kids both start at (new) school in September.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
Ohhh, I summoned you, Regen! That is a power I use to have  :)

I love mazes and that with the questions sounds super fun! I am so glad things are getting better for you in Europe (we are having a lot of cases, still not a peak, probably. We can only dream with travels. I am actually leaving home less and less). I am super glad your kids had fun and also pleased that you had a "birthday location" problem solved for a while.

I never got into audiobooks. I don't understand enough oral English for an English audiobooks and I never bought an audiobook in Spanish, I feel like I want to hear the characters in my own voice. Still, I could change my mind someday. I know many people loves audiobooks and it has a lot of advantages like, as you say, doing other things while listening. And of course, I totally understand you cannot cook (or do things like that) while listening. Very distracting, and I guess that is specially true for Marsters.
Hubby is thinking in buying the Sandman audiobook though, we don't know. It is too expensive for us, but perhaps we do it anyway. We love Sandman and this version will have amazing voices.

kitty!! Don't be mean to them!

We had some weird time here. A few days ago it was actually hot, like a nice Spring day. It think it reached 24°C. Now, back to Winter, as it should, it is quite cold tonight. But worse than that, there were several gray and extremely humid days. Yucky. But apparently the weekend is better, if cold.

Going for a coffee :-)

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »
Ohhh, I summoned you, Regen! That is a power I use to have  :)

LOL. I even got the nutella! But weird thing, getting summoned.

Everywhere you go, you have to fill out a form with the date, the time you spent there, your name, address and phone number, so you can be contacted if any of the other guests were tested positive on covid.
Persons in direct contact have to be tested and stay in quarantine. A friend of mine had a kid in her facility who got sick. So she has to stay at home now.
The numbers of infection are increasing again, but that was to be expected, when you loosen the rules. I hope we won't go into a second lockdown in autumn.

And of course, the kitty is safe. Even when she puts her claws into me so I get up and let her out. But I hiss at her. She understands that.  ;)

I prefer reading myself, but Marsters is great.
But I never listen to an audio book, I haven't read before myself. You don't notice everything in detail. In fact, I only bought an audio book, because I wasn't able to read on another book and with audio it isn't so easy to stop. I wanted the book finished so I could read the next one.
Edit: and I only wanted to try out ONE book read by James Marsters. But after listening to the first one, I ended up buying all of them. LOL
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:24:36 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »
I had nutella yesterday too, I suppose PT made me wish that. We Argentinians don't eat that much nutella. We are very fond of "dulce de leche" instead (caramel)

Some of those rules apply here for travels inside the county but getting out it is not so easy, and you need to do a strict 14 days isolation when returning.

I like that you understand cats  :). I new they would be safe, I was just scolding you just a little for the "yuck". It's still a cat touching you, unless they are really dirty, it is a nice feeling.

LOL about Marsters! And yes, I don't think I could concentrate that much in an audiobook, reading helps catching the details. That is why I am planning a PT reread soon.
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »
Dina: I haven’t read Peace Talks yet. I’m working my way through a bunch of other books at the moment, and my reading list is growing space with mostly non-fiction. I will get around to it, though.

I keep up with CWG on Twitter. She’s fed up with the isolation, as you might imagine.

I have concluded: this version of 2020 sucks. Can we get a new one?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »
Yes, I read her twitter too (CWG, I mean). I wrote her several times but not answer, so I just read to see how she is doing. Of course she is fed up, but this thing is necessary.

Well, if you wait some more for PT you will be able to read it along with BG, and perhaps that is better.

Ey, have you seen "the Crown", if so I am curious about what do you think about it. I liked it a lot so far, but I am not a British subject  :). I even planned her assassination once or twice when I was a child with an imagination  :P
Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »
I’ve seen a few episodes. It looks very well done, especially from a technical and casting point of view.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
Hey, PilgrimDan!
What are the books you are reading at the moment?
With me it is like this: as soon as I know, there is a book out, that I desperately want/need to read, I'm not able to read anything else until I have read that book. Even when I was still in school. I could not concentrate on reading school books as long as the new book was not read. I'm far from disciplined when books are concerned.

And Nutella:
I usually eat muesli for breakfast, but once in a while when I smell some fresh bread, I crave Nutella on it. But only the original, the other ones don't taste that good. So there is always at least one jar of good Nutella in the house. Restricted to consumption only on weekends.
Or if you manage to eat some in secret. LOL

And Dina: it really feels icky, when a wet cat uses the skin of your calf as a towel, especially when you don't expect her to be in the room. But at least she doesn't smell like a wet dog.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
You are right, a wet cat is far less smelly than a wet dog, and yes, I admit even cats can be icky (specially if you are surprise by it)

Missing you, Md 

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2020, 04:42:35 PM »
@Regenbogen.... one is a WW2 memoir called One of Our Submarines by Edward Young, the first Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve officer to command a submarine. The thing is, he also worked for Penguin Classics before the war and designed the jacket and logo. To honour him, Penguin Classics made his memoir their 1000th publication. 

Another is Blacklisted By History: Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America’s Enemies by journalist M Stanton Evans, which is a tome.

Finally, there’s Shadow of the Conqueror: Chronicles of Everfall by Shad M Brooks, an Australian Youtuber I follow who is a medieval enthusiast, pop culture fan and who has created one of the most refreshingly original secondary worlds in fantasy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:52:50 PM by PilgrimDan »