Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 248052 times)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #570 on: February 01, 2021, 08:42:37 AM »
I only eat yogurt with honey. But I use it to make a side salad that we call a "Tahina salad".
Sometimes I use it on BBQ, and sometimes I use it to raise the flour while baking pizza.
And Regen: Thank God I don't have a strong imagination. :-\
@Dina: I really confuse the names sometimes. What is the difference between Reggianito and parmesan?
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 01, 2021, 02:26:35 PM »
Parmesan comes from around Parma in Italy and you are not supposed to make it anywhere else otherwise the Italians get angry.  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2021, 07:31:15 PM »
Basically, yes  :)
I don't know the specific, they are similar (but the "crust" is of a diifferent color  :)) I would say Parmesan is a touch...denser but the taste is slightly softer (perhaps less salty too) than reggianito. Argentinians use any of them for grating it over their pasta.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 02, 2021, 09:12:20 AM »
And you wouldn't want angry Italians to scream at you. I understand completely. Hehe
We call this cheese here Turky/Romy cheese. "Turkish/Roman cheese". They're sold to vendors in those round drums that chased the cats in Tom and Jerry's "Napoli" episode :D the vendor in turn grates them or slices them with a machine for resale. I buy them in blocks though, to grate them myself.
A sandwich with this cheese's slices and slices of tomatoes is pure heaven.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 02, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »
Yes!
Actually, just bread and that cheese is awesome.

In other topics, we had a few cool days (like 14°C) which was weird for Summer. The "cool wave" seems to have finished yesterday but today is temperate, not at all as hot as past week. The cool wave felt good too, we could give the AC and fans a rest, and sleeping at night was bliss.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 04, 2021, 07:11:39 AM »
Funny. Do you feel the same? When it is hot, you can't imagine it to be cold. And when it is cold, you can't imagine being hot. No matter which temperature, one always seems to crave the opposite, because one seems to forget that both can be equally annoying. ;)

January has been almost typical January this year. Ice cold. But it rarely goes beneath -7°C any more. Sometimes there were warmer days and the snow began to thaw, but not completely. After that it snowed again and was freezing, so we had plates of ice beneath the snow for days. Once we had to hack ice plates on the way to our house, so that nobody would slip and break something.

But now it is warmer, wet and windy. Ha! www  ;D It is 9°C and it feels like the beginning of spring minus the wind.
At least there was enough snow to go sleighing before.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 04, 2021, 07:19:17 AM »
Well, when you have many days of a given temperature (specially if it is uncomfortable), a change of pace is always welcome. In Winter, we have what we call "Veranito de San Juan", which is like the Indian Summer for US people. Some hot days in Winter. They are always wonderful. But it is much rarer to have colder days in Summer. Anyway, we are having nice warm but not too hot days now. So I am enjoying it.

We are beginning to plan the classes for the university this year (We began in March) and we think we are going to have another "online semester". We will see though. We are still not sure.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 04, 2021, 07:55:57 AM »
My kids will be at home at least until midFebruary. At the moment I am with my first grader learning new letters and grammar. The teacher has made a plan for each day of the week. Today I learned something new to me, too. LOL. I admit, most of the time I didn't pay much attention to grammar in school. I just did it by feel. I still do. I was surprised there actually was a rule about the h in words. I always assumed you just had to know when to use it and when not. Because there are exceptions, of course. But there are rules, when to make an exception.
After that we'll be doing maths.

The other kid has online lessons.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 04, 2021, 09:13:21 AM »
LOL! I imagine German grammar is a nightmare.
We have a radio host here that once joked that German language does not exist, it's German people making fun of the rest of the world, while among them they talked in a reasonable language  ;D

In Spanish, h is usually placed in the position where an f would be in the original Latin. Or if it was a Greek word, h is just kept. Still, there are other reasons. In general, it reminds me to the ^ in French, that many times shows that a letter (generally an s) was missing from the original Latin word. For example, fenêtre comes from fineStra (window).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 04, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »
Oh no! That's supposed to be secret. How did the radio guy detect that. We were so careful. Must be the internet! Damn! ;D

Oh, that's cool. An indication of a missing letter.
In German you can put a lot of words together into one really loooooong word. That can be funny, so there are a lot of jokes or tongue breakers about it.
A famous one is for example Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmütze which means the cap of the captain of a steamship fleet or a company which cruises on the river Donau. LOL.

Edit: actually the word was so long I forgot a part of it and had to edit. ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:37:07 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 04, 2021, 09:41:38 AM »
... and yes, it really has to be written with 3f, because of a change in orthography in 1998 or 1999 to make the spelling easier.  ;) No joke. I don't think it is easier, just different. That got a lot of people confused, so they still are not sure how to spell certain words.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 04, 2021, 09:58:35 AM »
LOL, that is so fun!

You know the whole world thinks German are mad for speaking German  ;D. I know only a couple of worlds, but I know it has a few things like Latin (declination and such), complicated grammar, different letters and things like that. What an fff means?

Spanish can be tricky too but some things are easier than in German...or so I've been told.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 04, 2021, 10:23:33 AM »
Explanation to the fff:  ;)
If you put two words together and one of them ends in two similar letters and the other starts with the same letter:
before the change in orthography rules you just left out one of the 3 letters. It was against the rules to write the same letter thrice.
The words "Schiff" and "Fahrt" put together would have been written "Schiffahrt" before 1998.
Some lunatics decided that now the combined words had to be written the same as the separate words, which would have been OK, but with the new rule you sometimes have cases where there are the same letters thrice.
So, by the old rules the words Schiff and Fahrt put together would have been "Schiffahrt" and by the new rules it is now "Schifffahrt" which means "shipping".

Edit:
I forgot to translate the separate words:
Schiff = ship
Fahrt = journey/ride
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:26:35 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 04, 2021, 10:16:11 PM »
That was very interesting! And I actually would have been pro keeping the 3 letters too, so to respect the original writing of both words.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 05, 2021, 06:59:50 AM »
Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmütze... Word!
I did try for 5 minutes to pronounce it, I sounded like I had a stroke. Then I gave up and looked up how it sounded in Google translate, I tried for 5 more minutes then gave up and had a little more respect for German speaking people :D