Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240656 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #540 on: January 19, 2021, 08:21:45 PM »
Not your fault.. Hmmm, where have I heard that before? :P

I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about  :P
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 20, 2021, 07:58:49 AM »
Hi, weird!
I couldn't be here so much lately, because I had a lot to do. Work related and school stuff. At the moment I'm sitting with my first grader helping her with maths and reading and writing.
The other one works mostly on her own.

Today it's my husband's birthday. This afternoon we will eat cheesecake. I'll take it out of the fridge myself. ;)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 20, 2021, 11:00:47 PM »
Happy birthday to him!!   :D
And enjoy the cake.

I have a busy day because our bidet broke (the connection with the wall, not the bidet itself) and we had to call a plumber. It was solved now but I only could take a shower a while ago. (Most Argentinian homes have bidets, by the way).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 23, 2021, 04:41:50 PM »
Sorry about your bidet. I hope it is fixed now. We don't have one. I've never lived in a place with one, but I know people who have one. Mostly our bathrooms in all the homes I lived in, were too small for a bidet anyway. The house my parents moved into when I was in kindergarten had such a small bathroom, that you couldn't open the door completely. The reason for that was, that in the time the house was built (1944), people had their toilets outside and a small bathtub was placed in the kitchen and filled with hot water from the stove. So when the people living there decided to build a real bathroom there wasn't much space in the house to do so. So they went for one small room for the toilet and another for a built-in bathtub and a sink. My parents removed the bathtub and replaced it by a second toilet and a shower. After that, the door could be opened the whole way. As a child I went to my grandmother's home, when I wanted to take a bath. That was cool. I was often there over night. And each time I bathed before going to bed. At least in winter. A good way to get warm again.

For the birthday, the girls and I made a little show with the socks we used for my dad's birthday. We put a staff on two chairbacks, an blanket over it and did the Mahna Mahna song from Sesame Street. He laughed a lot.

Currently I'm rereading Grave Peril. It has been a while. You tend to forget a lot. I wanted to read something different, but couldn't concentrate on it.

My daughter read the first 5 Percy Jackson books over the holidays. The first 3 I have in German, and the other 2 can be read in the online library as the real library is still closed and I'm sure won't be opened until at least midFebruary. Pity they don't have the Heroes of Olympus series online.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 23, 2021, 11:27:04 PM »
Yes, my bidet is repaired, thank you. It is working well. We have a little bathroom too but at least it has enough room for it. I never lived in a place without bidet, except the three months I stayed in Mexico (and some hotels, of course).

I am glad you enjoyed the puppets.

Yes. I need to do a rereading at some point because I don't remember much of the first books.

I never read the Percy Jackson books. I just saw the movies,which were not that good.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 24, 2021, 02:05:12 PM »
That's right. There were only two movies and they didn't do the books justice. I liked the books. They are cute, somehow. Though in the beginning of the first book Latin was meant to be the same as ancient Greek. This annoyed me. But this was the only thing I didn't like. And it was never mentioned again in later books, so I am OK with it. The story was fun to read. I would recommend it. I've also read all the spin off series so far. Or not exactly spin offs, but stories set in the same world but with other pantheons. Magnus Chase with the Norse Gods and The Kane Chronicles with old Egyptian Gods. Though in the Kane Chronicles the protagonists aren't demigods but wizards doing magic with hieroglyphs. The only real spin off is The Trials of Apollo. Apollo is transformed into a human teenage boy with pimples (he is a very vain and arrogant god) by Zeus, as punishment, because of what he did in the Percy Jackson books. This one should be read after the 10 Percy Jackson books.
I think the movies are kind of like some of the Harry Potter movies. If you don't know the books, some actions don't make sense and a lot of things or characters that were cool in the books were not even mentioned in the movies. Like in a lot of movies made from books.

And one more thing. I did enjoy the cakes. We ate for 3 days. Now I have to see that my trousers fit again. All that eating and sitting around doing school stuff is showing now. Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:07:30 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 24, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
Well, take a few days of light food and you will be fine, I am sure. And, as Chiroptera (another weird-citizen) used to say, "cake is food for the soul. It's good".

Thanks for all the info about the books. When the first movie was released I considered reading the book but I was discouraged because they were too many of them. Also. I don't know if I am going to like them because I like Greek mythology and...I don't know, I don't want to see it messed around with.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 24, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »
Ha! I knew that the movie looked like it was based on a book. Thanks for confirming this Regen. The movies had that incomplete look about them. Cake is just... Awesome. I'd gladly gain a few kg for decent cake to take with my morning coffee/tea/milk. Although plain milk is best, and in my case, 10 minutes from the cow.
Here in the farm, I own 3 cows for myself, they're grandmother, mother and daughter. The daughter is maybe 18 months old, pregnant and still learning the ropes. Almost bit my hand off today while I was giving her a treat. She'll learn though. To be honest, I can't imagine a world where I can't have fresh milk and cream every day. All that's missing is cake. :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 25, 2021, 06:55:16 PM »
Good maen everyone!

I have to admit I never had fresh milk or cream. My mom used to say it was delicious. Generally speaking, I don't drink milk (of course I use it for cooking. And sometimes I have milk with my coffee, but it's not everyday).

It's another very hot day here, I am so glad for our AC. And the fan in the bedroom.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 26, 2021, 08:21:37 AM »
I still remember when I started working summers at the farm, I was 14,and lived in a city all my life. I still had "fresh" milk everyday from vendors in the city. My first taste of real fresh milk was that summer, with breakfast. Ambrosia. (breakfast also had fresh homemade cheese, sunny side up eggs with real butter, lettuce, coriander, parsley and Rocca cut 5 minutes ago).
I recently visited my aunt in Cairo and got her a gift of fresh milk and some greens from my garden. She immediately boiled the milk and had a cup, the expression on her face was priceless :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 26, 2021, 08:27:24 AM »
That is awesome!
I haven't even been near fresh milk in my life I believe.
As I said, I don't drink much milk anyway. I am, though, a fan of most cheeses. I just hate blue cheese and the like, but the rest...yummy. I actually had Parmesan with my salad today and it was glorious.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 26, 2021, 08:47:02 AM »
Parmesan is just amazing, right? It can transform most food into delicious food. I usually have parmesan and olives on my salad when I have a BBQ.
Wait wait wait.... There's a blue cheese?  :-/

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 26, 2021, 05:45:57 PM »
It's a mould cheese with blue mould. I like that on bread with pepper. But not on pizza.
I like parmesan on salad, too.  ;D
That reminds me: next time I go to the supermarket, take some cheese. There are so many different ones.
Somewhere I have seen green cheese. But that was because of the herbs in it. I didn't buy it. It was very small and too expensive, but it looked funny.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 05:47:41 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 26, 2021, 06:01:37 PM »
Mascarpone and Gorgonzola. They sell a combination of those two here, small stripes of both combined. Huge chunks on bread  :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 26, 2021, 07:31:33 PM »
Sounds delicious.  ;D