Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 247823 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #465 on: December 22, 2020, 06:05:20 PM »
But it is winter here and we need comfort food. Stew with potato mash and Brussels sprouts. We probably make too much but stew freezes well.
Us, too. So you have food for the next days without having to cook anything new. We'll probably eat meat, sprouts and bread with sauce for two days. Mushrooms usually are eaten up on the first day.
Sauces last for 3-4 days. My mother remembered the garlic butter.
So we just need bread afterwards. That's OK. I have everything at home to bake some. Also the bakeries are open. So all kinds of delicious bread and other things are available. For the holidays you just have to reserve some at the bakery.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 22, 2020, 11:07:49 PM »
We have decided to add some Arabian food to our buffet froid. Tabulli (still with this spelling  :P), koeppe, probably some falafel. I won't be cooking it. I just will buy it in the morning.  And yes, hopefully we will have leftovers for a couple of days.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 23, 2020, 02:47:07 PM »
Hello Weird! Today I'm cooking, and lazy, so I'll just grill some catfish slices. I've spent a month buying coriander, parsley and Rocca from the market while mine were still growing, but finally my garden is ready and i can say goodbye to inferior food. So a huge bowl of fresh salad tonight. :D
@Dina: what is koeppe?
Spelling is fine, but please add a b :P
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 23, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »
Well, Lebanese here write it Keppe (without the o, I don't know why I've felt the English spelling should have an o). The Wikipedia in English calls it kibbeh, but in Spanish it says "Kibbeh (también kipe, quipe, kebbe, kibi, kipi, kepi, kibba, cupi, kubba, quibbe, árabe كبه)".  :)

So great about home-grown veggies! What is Rocca?

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 23, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »
Ah, yes. I don't know about the o, but yes, bb instead of pp. Delicious regardless of the spelling. Lol.
Rocca is another edible herb. Like parsley, but with a much wider leaf. It's great in salads, as it has a slightly bitter and earthy taste. Also if you ask for a felafel sandwich here, they always come with it. I'll send a picture in the morning if I can remember. :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 23, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »
Perhaps is what in English is called Rugula?
I came home with some veggies today, lemon, cucumber, celery, cherrie tomatoes, lettuce and green olives. Some of those will be in the pionono.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 23, 2020, 09:36:07 PM »
Yes, that's it exactly. We call it gar-gir here.
That's a lot of green and red. Isn't piniono a type of sweet roll?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 23, 2020, 09:48:47 PM »
There are sweet piononos (in Argentina, most sweet piononos are filled with dulce de leche). But there are also savory (salty) ones, like with turkey, or chicken, or ham. Ours will probably have ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce, olive and mayo. Perhaps another one with pastrami instead of ham and cheese. Hubby hates celery so I will add some of it to my servings.

Ok then, rugula. I am not really a fan (I mean, I can eat rugula and I do it often as many take away dishes have rugula but I never use it myself).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 23, 2020, 10:58:47 PM »
I have to agree about the celery. Some dishes are great with a little bit of celery, but I prefer it ground up and spread all over the dish instead of a concentrated taste with the leaves intact.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:09 PM »
I understand, but I just love celery. I sometimes just took the sticks, add some lemon and salt and eat them like that  :)

Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 23, 2020, 11:51:50 PM »
Hah, I feel the same way about Rugula. Sometimes when I'm working on my garden I just pick up a batch and eat them just like that. Especially if it was the first cut. I do the same with parsley.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 24, 2020, 12:02:10 AM »
Yes, Parsley fresh from the plant is really tempting.
Well, Arabian food is here. We have tabulli, kebbe, humus, kebab, and falafel.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 24, 2020, 09:04:53 AM »
That's a LOT of protein...
Fun fact. Felafel here is strictly breakfast food. Also we make it out of beans in Egypt, not humus. (chickpeas?)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 24, 2020, 06:58:18 PM »
LOL! I never had falafel for breakfast. And yes, it's a lot of protein, Hubby loves to have dead meat in his plate (that is something said on a TV show and we adopted it years ago). I am fortunate we are having a couple of salads  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 24, 2020, 08:18:49 PM »
Would be weird, if the meat was alive on the plate. Probably trying to escape or to argue with you about not eating it. LOL

We always call the meat for fun by the sound the animal makes. What is this? It's moo, for example.

As there is a lot of moo, meh, quak, oink, baa, Wiener sausages and sprouts and mushrooms left, we decided to eat the leftovers tomorrow at noon as birthday food. No need to order Vietnamese. We will do that another time.

For tomorrow we have prepared a little show for my dad. We will use single socks as hand puppets, complete with wool hair and button eyes. The sock puppets will sing Ramalama Ding Dong. I hope, it will be funny. We want to make him laugh.

Now I am so full of food. At first I could barely move. The little one fell asleep on the way home (it's less than 5 minutes).

I won't be up long either. The day started early. The cat woke me up.

Edit: the little one was very happy about the little wand I made for her. :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:22:13 PM by Regenbogen »