Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240666 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
I am sorry to hear that, PD. I am doing really well. Hubby and I are working from home (I am doing my classes via Zoom+virtual campus and writing a manuscript) and enjoy being at home. I am doing a little cooking and catching up with shows. I've been quite busy.
I am also very worried. My country was doing very fine several weeks ago but now my city, the surrounding area and a couple of the provinces are doing poorly, with the cases raising a lot. We don't know how far away we are from the famous peak of the curve. It is troublesome.
I try to not get out much, for instance, today after my class I will need to get out to do some grocery shopping.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2020, 12:09:45 AM »
I think I’m about ready to paint myself blue, run off to live in the woods and find some really good mushrooms.

Have a care for the order of operations, there!

In some jurisdictions, the "painting blue" part may result in lockdown becoming involuntary, such as a hold for psych-eval.

Also, if the mushrooms are good enough, you may find the other steps less needful; or if they're bad, the other steps may become irrelevant/impossible.

Running off to live in the wood is an option I've always found tempting, honestly...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2020, 12:17:14 AM »
I've been to the woods and they don't have flush toilets.  ;)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2020, 07:02:48 AM »
I've been to the woods and they don't have flush toilets.  ;)
LOL
And no plumbing either. But maybe some nice animals that would like to eat you.  ;)

And I'm sorry about your boredom, Pilgrim. I wasn't bored. Got a lot to do and actually I am glad, when I'm finally at home. I can't remember what being bored feels like. I think the last time I've felt that, I was still a teenager.
I think it is not that I do so much, but more that I don't mind doing nothing and actually enjoying that, when it occurs once in a while.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2020, 10:04:33 PM »
I think I’m about ready to paint myself blue, run off to live in the woods and find some really good mushrooms. It seems to be the only logical response.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
Also blue isn't the safest of colours. UK summers still have a high chance of frostbite.
Or being adopted by Nac Mac Feegles.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2020, 12:38:55 AM »
((((((((((SoG)))))))))))))   :D :D :D :D :D
So good to see you here!
Do you know that we are having sample chapters for PT? I am reading them and I want to read more!!

Regen, I do get bored from time to time, but that is not the case now. I simply don't have time, I've been quite busy. But I am very happy to report that the mid-term exams of my students were similar to those from a normal year.  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2020, 02:08:25 PM »
@Dina: good for your students.

My little one was allowed to got to ballet again yesterday for the first time in months. They did it a bit different than before, but she was so happy that she didn't mind. I had to bring her fully dressed and wasn't allowed to enter the building. They have organized that the front door is only for entry and people leave through the back door.

I have finished the audio books yesterday. Now I'm rereading the short stories. At least some of them.
I never expected there would be 3 !!! chapters in advance. Maybe one or two. And next Tuesday there will be chapter 4 as I've read. Every Tuesday I am so excited, I start tapping my feet until the new entry on the website is online.

Not long now. Waiting is hard. Not long. Just a bit. Soon. Not long....

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »
Yes, it's not so long. Breath deep and enjoy the short stories. And next Tuesday is just around the corner.
I am so happy for your girl! I loved my ballet classes so I can totally understand her. I hope there is no problems. Germany is doing quite well right now, isn't it? (We are not, cases keep raising and I really want my stupid major to go back to an stricter lockdown)
Missing you, Md 

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
((((((((((SoG)))))))))))))   :D :D :D :D :D
So good to see you here!
Do you know that we are having sample chapters for PT? I am reading them and I want to read more!!

I'm... dipping a toe, so to speak.

I'll wait for the publication day.
It's weird to see weird so empty.  :-\

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2020, 10:14:28 AM »
(((((SoG)))))))I was about to go to bed, but are you still here?

Uh...I guess not.
Well, it is true it is weird. It takes us ages to reach a hundred pages, nothing at all like in the ol' good times. But I can promise you, the new people is great too. I believe you and Regenbogen will get along well. And I hope you meet our resident Egyptian, Fcrate. I wonder if he was able to see the eclipse (it was not possible to see it from my country) I believe when I get up I will watch some pictures or video.

Regen, speaking of ballet, I suddenly remember having seen Coppelia at the theatre when I was about 12 years old and it was truly magical.Oh, have you and your little one watched "Nutcracke and the 4 realms"?It may be good for her
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:26:20 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2020, 10:51:14 PM »
Heh. Resident Egyptian :D
Yes Dina, I managed to catch the last of it this morning. Was awesome. :)
@Woods: On the other had, you don't really need a toilet to flush in the woods, do you? All you need is a spade :P
Hello, Shades. (heh) Nice to meet you, and hope to troll with you soon! You should know that I'm the only perfectly normal person posting on this thread. The rest are weirdos.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2020, 11:27:30 PM »
I am envious. I've been several pictures, one of them taken from Cairo. It seems to have been awesome
I am playing RPG right now, I am getting so used to do it online
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2020, 01:26:21 PM »
Hello, Shades.
It took me a while to write. I wasn't home much the last days.
Nice to meet you.

@Dina:
Yes, we are doing OK in my opinion, but there are already voices that say there might be a second lockdown, because now every infected person infects 2,8 others. During the lockdown it was down to less than 1. But that is OK and logical, because now people are allowed to meet again. In private you don't wear a mask and you tend to not hold the distance. So it is only logical, that more people get infected than during the strict lockdown. I'm not sure how this is going to be in the future. I want to believe we have it under control, if everybody keeps to the rules.
The kids in school alternate school days and home schooling days. So that there are always only half the kids in school and the other half at home.
In kindergarten the parents are not allowed to enter the building. And they have splitted the kids into smaller groups.
This week my choir is allowed to meet again to plan how to stick to the rules while singing. We will have to stand apart from one another. At least the room is big enough.
Ballet: We have seen Nutcracker on TV once. She was fascinated.

And now there is a big black cloud in the sky above me. Damn. I had hoped to spend the afternoon on my blanket outside with my coffee and my book. But I will stay until the first drops fall. Or until I'm freezing. The wind is getting rather cold now.

@Fcrate's eclipse: ;)
That's great. Wish I could have seen it.

Apropos ballet: I just remembered having been to Swan Lake in the theatre with my mother once. We have never seen the whole ballet before, only parts on TV. And, what was worse, a few of my uncles and cousins did the dance of the 4 swans once for my aunt's 50th birthday. It was so funny, my belly and face are still hurting, I had to laugh so much.
Then imagine my mother and me in the ballet seeing the original dance for the first time with the picture of the men dancing that in our heads. Oh, how evil the looks were! We tried to stay serious. Really. But it was not possible.
Even now when I hear the music I start laughing.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2020, 06:30:33 PM »
You made me laugh a lot with your story about Swan Lake. I always remember there was an Argentinian movie with a fat actor (an hilarious comedian) was characterized as a ballerina and did a little Swan Lake scene. I burst to tears because of so much laughing. (I tried to find a clip to share with you but no luck).

I am confident you will be fine with the covid Regen. But that said, be very careful about the choir. I remember having read an article around the start of the pandemia about a choir (in USA, I believe).They had done a rehearsal and they have used sanitizer and all that and they had tried to take some measures, I am not sure how well did that. The problem was that about 40 people (some of them in the risk group due to their age) got infected. I remember they said that they had understimated how much could the saliva spread when you are singing. So please, be careful. (I may track the news article if you want it)

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »
Yes, I know. There have been some stories about cases in choirs. I think I'm going to wear a mask. There are a lot of older people in my choir. The first day will just be some of us measuring the room, so that we can try out how to sit or stand with a 2m radius to the person next to us.
There are a lot of members working somewhere in the health system who know how to disinfect properly, myself included. Some hospital nurses and some geriatric nurses too. Together we hope to work something out. The pastor is thinking about to let us sing in church this Sunday, but we'll see if and how it works out. Could be that not all of us fit in there.
Btw I've tried out how far I can spit, if I do it on purpose, LOL. It's between 1,5 to 2 m.
In the garden when no one could see me.