Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 240547 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1770 on: September 25, 2022, 10:13:51 PM »
I began watching Rings of Power (only ep1 so far). I am liking it.
I love it. Though I have some trouble with the actor playing Elrond. He's good, but he doesn't look like in my head at all.
Hugo Weaving didn't fit my head-Elrond either, but I got used to him. I will get used to this Elrond, too. But each time I see him, I have to tell myself: remember, this is Elrond, lol.

Wait until you see the dwarfs! I love the dwarfs. They have armour for their beards!!!! ROFL hilarious!

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: September 28, 2022, 02:38:38 PM »
MicroRegenbogen is still at home. There are two boys from the neighbourhood who bring the homework to her. The last two days they put marguerites on top of the folder. So cute.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 28, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »
Awww, that is adorable.
Is she feeling all right?

I have no problem with the actor playing Elrond, because I can see him growing up to be Hugo Weaving  :)
I have not seen more episodes yet, but hopefully I will do it in the weekend. I am also looking forward for a new Netflix show which is about Sissi the Empress. I am an expert in her, because I read books about her life since I was a child.  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 28, 2022, 05:52:28 PM »
She's ok. Thanks.

I would like to see Sissi, too. It's a series?  We don't have Netflix, though. So I'll have to wait a bit.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 29, 2022, 06:16:44 AM »
It is a series, but I don't know how many episodes or any other details. The actual title is "The Empress". I'll let you know what I think when I see it, but I will probably be biased  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: September 29, 2022, 09:29:04 AM »
It is a series, but I don't know how many episodes or any other details. The actual title is "The Empress". I'll let you know what I think when I see it, but I will probably be biased  :)

Yes, please do let me know. That would be great. There will also be no spoilers possible, because I also already know the history. ;)

Today I invited myself for breakfast at my parents'. I brought the bread and Brezen. Also my mother had some clothes from a friend of hers for me. I got first choice. I took two blouses which don't have to be ironed. One black and one light brown with coffee beans on it.
I visited them, because I am a nice mom  ;D and drive Mini to school this week, because she is still a bit exhausted from coughing and it is wet and cold in the mornings. But only this week. Next week she'll have to take her bike again. It's not far. Only 3 km. And my parents live near the school.
Micro is at school today for the first time since she had covid. She was so excited in the morning.
I'm still at home for the rest of the week, because I have to get rid of as many overtime hours as possible, because I'm changing departments next week.
I am excited, too. And I'm looking forward to the new work.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: September 29, 2022, 08:01:07 PM »
Apparently there are 6 episodes, and according to the summary I do not think they cover much time after the wedding, so I bet there are more seasons planned. J have not seen any of it yet and I am not sure about the country of origin of the show. I do not know the actors. I'll report any more news when I have it  :)

That is fair about mini and I am glad Micro is excited to be back to your school. You are a good mom and a good daughter too. Enjoy your clothes!
And enjoy your home time! I hope your new job makes you happier than the last one ((((((((((Regen))))))))))
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 29, 2022, 09:05:43 PM »
It's german.

:)

We are watching the first episode of Da Vinci's demons.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: September 30, 2022, 07:04:26 PM »
Well, I watched the first episode. I was not too impressed. I mean, I do not hate it, I will keep watching, and I enjoy some moments. But I was not delighted. And the very beginning was very sad, with an animal death, which I felt it was a weird narrative choice as the first impression. The acting feels a little unnatural, but perhaps that is the "German style". My main problem is that the show seems undecided between the romantic fairy tail and an edgy version, with, for example, some sexual kinks moments. I do not think those add much to the story. Also, it seems to want to create a stupid suspense, like "are they going to kill the emperor?", as if he was not an historical figure. As if the public was not aware that he was the long-lived Austrian emperor.

Da Vinci Demons. Oh. I watched all of it. Do you want my opinion?
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: September 30, 2022, 07:23:30 PM »
Thank you. I read it was a bit controversial in some ways. For example the emperor speaking with a Berlin dialect, which is so wrong, but could be seen as freedom of art, if one wants to. I think I will try it once whenever it is availlable to me.

We are watching the third episode Da Vinci now. I think one can't expect historical accuracy, but imo it is interesting to watch so far.

Please feel free to tell your opinion ;)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: September 30, 2022, 07:54:48 PM »
Ok. About Da Vinci. I think the idea was very good but as the episodes advanced it became more and more crazy. And the last season had no sense, with people changing their behaviour (like good guy becoming bad, and the other way around). So it left me a somewhat bitter taste. That said, some moments, especially at the beginning, were great. I think the lead actors were very good. The lead actor appeared in a ridiculous Doctor Who episode too, and silly as it was, I liked it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: October 01, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »
It is always a pity, when a series which started good, gets bad near the end. Books and TV alike.

I finally finished the German Skin Game. It was good. Even though he still used the polite form towards Charity (come on, she already told him long ago, that she considered him family, this sounds as if he doesn't want to belong to the family) and one thing got "corrected" during the book, which I find kind of funny doing it like this all the time and suddenly from one page to the other, doing it differently.
It is Kringle's name. I think it is safe to say that in Gemany most people don't know, that Chris Kringle is supposed to be Santa Clause's name. But also come on, there is Google and there are some American Christmas movies in which he is called that way.
Ok, in my area it is a bit weird, because there is no Weihnachtsmann (Santa), we have the Christkind (female angel who brings the presents).... And this is actually the phonetic origin of the name Chris Kringle. Christkindl (Bavarian and Austrian pronunciation) -> Chris Kringle.
 Kind of funny in my opinion. :)

But as in those parts of Germany where there is a Santa, he doesn't have a name. As the figure of Santa is origined in the Saint Nikolaus, the translator called him "Nicky" instead of Kringle, because to Nicky the readers could relate. I get it.
And it would have been ok, if there wasn't Nicodemus, whom Harry also sometimes calls Nick or Nicky.

So Skin Game is a book with both Nick and Nicky in it, lol. And when Harry was meeting with Odin in his Kringle mantle and talking to him about Nicodemus, suddenly there was an in no way smooth switch in the middle of their conversation. And from this point on Kringle is Kringle in the translation.

So, not exactly a bad thing. I actually laughed when I read it. Unintentional funny chapter.

Edit
I am reading Dracula now. Told my husband.
He asked: Original Bram Stoker?
Yes. Was on prime reading. Meaning I didn't pay extra.
Did he meet Gary Oldman already?
Not yet, but he talked about Winona Ryder.

Yes, we are highly educated in literature.
LOL
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:37:37 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: October 01, 2022, 07:03:52 PM »
I loved your dialogue about Dracula. I saw the movie but I have not read the book because as I told you, I am not a fan of vampires (Thomas aside).

About Da Vinci's demons, I wanted to tell you so it does not come as a surprise.

I laughed so much at the Kringle thing. It is the same here, general public does not know who Kringle is, but anyone interested, who has watched some Christmas movies or who got curious about the name in the book, would know.

I watched the second episode of The empress. I think it was better than the first. I think my favorite actress in the show is the one playing Helena.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: October 01, 2022, 07:25:01 PM »
Aaah, so there is still hope for the Empress.  8)

I am intrigued: How is Christmas traditionally celebrated in Argentina? Do you have Santa or else?

I'll have to look up the origins of our Christkind. Like, why is it called  the Christ child? Usually this is baby Jesus. And why is it female?

I am guessing it has to do with a winter solstice event of the religion before the area became christian. I will look it up. The Romans were very efficient in assimilating other cultures, especially those they have conquered. As it is with the easter bunny and the eggs, those originally belonged to the old religion as symbols of fertility.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: October 01, 2022, 07:52:39 PM »
Sorry for the double post.
I have found some information and it is complicated and somehow a little bit funny or better ironic.
I'll try to sum it up.

Martin Luther banned Saint Nikolaus, but kept the presents for children. So it became the Christkind who brought the presents. Over time the at first genderless present bringer became sometimes the child Jesus and sometimes a blond female young girl. I know pictures of a young grown up female in a children's book.

So initially it was a protestant invention.
Some day not so long ago (last century or 2) the catholics accepted the Christkind, too. But at the same time protestants began to accept the Weihnachtsmann (Santa) again.

And today the Weihnachtsmann brings the presents in the mostly protestant regions while the Christkind comes in the mostly catholic regions.