Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 246814 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1680 on: August 19, 2022, 05:11:16 PM »
Ok, sorry, it is a comic (I mean, with vignettes) or a story based on it? I do not know if that exists.
In any case, be wary of "24 hours". It in intense. And fast your belts, Sandman is a true journey.
I do not remember animal deaths in the comic though.
Also, Netflix just released a bonus episode of Sandman! I am so happy  :) :) :)

I had not even heard of Solace. I get what you mean about the children, even when I am not a mother myself. What I mean is that I understand how personal experience changes how we react. As I told you, it is quite rare (but non unheard)  for me to cry with humans deaths in movies, but when I saw the movie Prisoner of Azkaban, which was the same year my dad died, I cried like a stupid at any reference to Harry believing to have seen James, and at Prongs. I mean, it was not even an on screen death, but I cried a lot.

@Fcrate, I would have thought Egypt had humongous spiders (and I still did not see the link. I won't).
Oh, and you are right, the movie is just Riddick,
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 19, 2022, 05:37:14 PM »
 @Dina
I'm so sorry about your father's death. I can just imagine your feelings there.

The eBook is a comic. I've tried that before with Rivers of London Comics and one Asterix. I can read it very well on our Tablet, not on the kindle.

And @Fcrate
I also thought there were big tarantulas in Egypt. I honestly thought you would laugh at my tiny spider. It is with feet only as big as the palm of my hand without the fingers.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 19, 2022, 06:00:04 PM »
Thank you Regen. It was many years ago, and I was a big adult woman, but even so, small words made me cry. Still, Dumbledore words in Philosopher's stone, about how those who loved us never leave us, are the best. Warm my heart.

Ah, that was what intrigued me, as I cannot read comics in my kindle. But I do remember buying some comics for my old tablet. Sandman art has beautiful moments (and the covers are amazing). Enjoy.
I never heard of Rivers of London, but I love Asterix.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 19, 2022, 06:10:33 PM »
Rivers of London is originally a book series by Ben Aaronovitch. It's about a rookie bobby in London who starts to learn magic in his bosses' department. There are river gods, kind of genius loci. Nice idea. And fey and a completely different kind of vampires and other wizards.
It's at times a very nerdy series. I like it, though it is often less magical than I would wish. And the author did quite a few comics as short stories during different places in the timeline

This is the chronology of all the books and the comics on the river Thames timeline:

https://dyn.media.titan-comics.com/82qHGT8b0dl8dsmLnBd__YgkttI=/fit-in/600x759/https://media.titan-comics.com/comics/news/Rivers_Reader_Guide.jpg
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 06:13:35 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 19, 2022, 06:12:02 PM »
Interesting, I will probably check it. Thanks!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 19, 2022, 06:28:05 PM »
Interesting, I will probably check it. Thanks!
Yeah, you're welcome, that's my "revenge" for the Sandman, lol ;)

You need to start with the first novel "Rivers of London", not the comic Action at a Distance, though that is first on the timeline.

Edit:
Sorry, I edit a lot today!!!!!
I just remembered: I can imagine there is an American version, so don't choose this one. They tend to "Americanize" the language, so you won't get exactly what the author originally wrote. This is an important feature for me. It would be better to buy from amazon.uk not from amazon.com. Even the title of the first book is different.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rivers-London-First-novel-Book-ebook/dp/B004K1EC1S/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=KZPTB25KGE1N&keywords=rivers+of+london&qid=1660934753&sprefix=riv%2Caps%2C569&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 06:51:00 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 19, 2022, 10:51:17 PM »
Ah, thanks for the recommendation. I also prefer the original version if possible.

Random comment, but I am drinking a tea (orange and anise flavored) and it is delicious.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 20, 2022, 06:51:07 AM »
About the spiders, maybe in the south, but I'm not sure. We do have lots of scorpions if it makes you feel better :D
Rivers of London sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Although I tried reading comics on my phone, it was too much of a hassle to be enjoyable, so Sandman is out.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: August 20, 2022, 07:31:16 PM »
I am pretty sure there is some way to read comics in your computer, Fcrate.

Of course you have scorpions! We all watched "Scorpion King", which I am sure it is an accurate representation of Egyptian culture  :)
Speaking seriously, I am aware scorpions can be dangerous. And that both scorpions and spiders are arachnids. But I am much more scared of spiders than of scorpions. It is irrational, I know.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 21, 2022, 11:55:12 AM »
About the spiders, maybe in the south, but I'm not sure. We do have lots of scorpions if it makes you feel better :D
Rivers of London sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Although I tried reading comics on my phone, it was too much of a hassle to be enjoyable, so Sandman is out.
I agree. Comic on phone is no fun. Though better than on kindle, lol.
I have never tried, but I think it is possible to read on the computer directly from the amazon cloud.
This year I bought a small fire tablet. It is mine, but my little one could use it if they should close the schools again. I used it to read ebooks from the library, because they are epub and not Moby format and the kindle doesn't let you read those. Of course, because you should only buy from amazon ;). So I decided to modernize our computer household. But I refuse to have Alexa. I mean, come on, does nobody remember how Skynet took over control?  :o
So I disabled the Alexa function on the tablet. Damn, I didn't even know they had it installed.

About scorpions: there aren't any here, but I am not afraid of them, either. I mean not more than I would be of any poisonous animal.
The fear of spiders isn't rational. Technically I know, they can't hurt me, but I am still afraid. I thought it was the legs and how they move, but scorpions have the same legs. Weird.
I am not fond of touching crabs, though.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 21, 2022, 07:09:29 PM »
Heh heh. I love how nerdy you are. What does it say about me that I find your sentiments about Alexa to be very rational? Or that I actually asked Google Assistant: Are you Skynet? (the reply cracked me up BTW) :D
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: August 21, 2022, 07:50:03 PM »
LOL! I tried it (the Google assistant thing) and I have a laugh too.
I do not have Alexa, and I would probably disable it if I had it  :)
Sometimes people seems to not have watched/read anything sci-fi related.

Scorpions and spiders still move differently, I think that is the main issue.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: August 21, 2022, 10:07:50 PM »
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DpGscqp32MtE&ved=2ahUKEwjsj8mk0tj5AhXyVfEDHSTRCv4Qjjh6BAgVEAI&usg=AOvVaw2lAWKT944vdeNGovfViq_b

OMG I knew it!
Actually I was called crazy. I told a friend who has Alexa in every room, that I don't want it. She had one spare and gave it to me. I told myself, come on, how bad can it be, it was a gift, but I couldn't bring myself to activate it. So I gave it back and told her, thanks, but I am serious about not wanting one. She didn't believe me at first. It's just science fiction. Yes, that was Star Trek too and now look what we've got everywhere: scanners, communicators, little phones with cameras and internet.... I could go on...  ;)

Though I had some weird experiences: for example a colleague talked to me about narcissists. It was boring and annoying, because she wouldn't stop and I thought she was exaggerating a lot and calling every asshole a narcissist just isn't accurate. I was completely offline at that time. It was at work. My phone was even shut down, and she didn't have my number back then, but the next day I opened Google on my phone and there are these algorithms, we know, at least half of the suggestions had the word narcissist in it's topic.
Now that was disturbing! How did Google know???? I never googled it, the phone was offline, no Bluetooth, no internet, even shut down and in my bag inside the cupboard. And even after the day I never told anyone about the narcissist fetishist colleague.

Skynet is everywhere, it just tells us it is not, and we believe it!!!!!  :o
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 10:22:32 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 21, 2022, 10:50:17 PM »
Ok, that was scary.
But the algorithms, even when you can explain them, are really disturbing because how accurate they are. I do not remember the details now but the other day I was spooked because my computer began showing ads for things I was considering buying but that I had not actually googled. They were just related with searched I had done. Not the same things, mind you. Just related, and not directly. The spooky things was how well they predicted that I was going to search for those things sooner or later. And it was not as direct either.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: August 23, 2022, 07:42:20 AM »
Algorithms are creepy.
Sometimes they are quite accurate, but sometimes I have to laugh at the suggestions.

My daughter and her best friend are going to the city today by train. They want to go shopping. I predict she'll come back with a bag full of stuffed animals and food, lol. I don't think she will buy any clothes. The friend wants to teach her to eat unhealthy food, so they are going to go to MacDonald's, lol.
I"m a little bit nervous. This is her first time almost alone in the city. The friend has some experience, but she tends to be chaotic. I expect to be called in the evening to pick them up at some weird station, because they either took the wrong train or missed their station.
Ahem, just speaking of experience, lol.
Happened to me a lot. Not the wrong train though. In the train I sometimes fell asleep and woke up after my station. That's creepy because you are some place you don't know alone at night.
Or I took the one bus that didn"t go all the way to the village with the train station I needed to get home. So I either had to wait at least 2 hours at the bus station, of course in the dark (it was always dark when stuff like that happened, mostly winter after 5 pm) or happen to have coins to call home in hope to be picked up. The last one usually only happened because of my lazyness to take the long walk to the train station at my school's place, when the schedule caused me to not reach my bus. It was an ugly creepy place too back then, so we often took the bus at the bus stop not so far away from school to take us 3 villages further towards home. I found out that the arrival of the bus was nicely timed with the arrival of the train there, so there was almost no wait.