Author Topic: Weird? Pretty much.  (Read 244455 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Weird? Pretty much.
« Reply #1515 on: May 22, 2022, 09:13:55 AM »
If you're a nerd, Regen, then you're in good company.
That's why I feel so comfortable here.  :)
LOL the 10 galleons.

@ Dina:
Come over to the heavy side of the force!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
There are no undead druids.

So, what's "crossbow" in Spanish then?
And just to be nosey: is arco also used for a built arc.
In German "bow" is "Bogen" (like in Regenbogen ;) ) and is also used in architecture.
A crossbow would be "Armbrust".
I remember the first time I came across the word crossbow. I didn't have to look it up, because the word explained itself to me.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 22, 2022, 11:32:35 AM »
 :D It was so fun.
Yes, arco is used for what in English is call arc (including a plot arc in a tv show for example, or in geometry, a part of a circle. And, as I believe I told you before, rainbow_"arco iris") but also for bow. A crossbow would be a "ballesta", I think (a word derived but not the same as "ballista", which is a sort of catapult.)

@Fcrate, I watched a couple of episodes of a kid show called Theodosia. It is set in 1906, with a girl who is the daughter of the two British archeologists or something, expert in Egypt. They basically stole things from the Valley of the Kings to take them to a museum, as British do, but the girl find a magical amulet and yaddayadda. Did you hear of the show? In the second episode a new character is introduced, a young Egyptian princess. According to Imdb, the actress is American/Egyptian?Swiss. The show is in HBO.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 22, 2022, 06:53:04 PM »
No, this is the first I've heard of it Dina, is it any good?
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 22, 2022, 11:11:44 PM »
The visuals are good, the cgi not so much. The story is mostly just beginning, so I can't tell, but I think if I were a child I would love it. I am not so sure what I would think if I were an Egyptian child though.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 26, 2022, 11:08:48 AM »
How are you all?

We have a lot of noise here. There is a football game. The football field is near our home. There seems to be a winner now. We can hear celebrating drums and shouts and music. ;)
It is father's day.
We are going to do a barbecue. Some time today my own father will be telling me, when he is back home, so that I can visit. I think he is somewhere with his bike. Probably somewhere where he can combine a nice landscape with drinking beer, without his wife telling him not to drink too much beer, lol.

I am happy, because in two weeks we will be on vacation in Turkey. I am very excited, because it will be the first time for the kids travelling by plane.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 26, 2022, 02:17:01 PM »
All fine Regen. Have fun in Turkey. You'll be there at the same time as my mother and father. They're in Berlin visiting my brother, they'll transit in Turkey on the way back.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 26, 2022, 05:20:11 PM »
@Fcrate
Oh, cool. I have never been to Turkey before. I am very excited.
I wanted to go to Spain at first, but we didn't find anything affordable on short notice. We were quite late for booking, because for a long time my vacation wasn't sure.

I think I told you, that I plan to work in a different department soon. For a long time it wasn't sure, when I was allowed to leave, as it is the same employer (the hospital), just a different area.
My working schedule will change a little and I will do different work, but still in the lab, salary won't change and I will still do all the shifts, but with a different boss and without the "evil" doctor breathing down my neck. I didn't tell anyone yet, that in fact it is her, who's accelerated my wish to leave. And that she managed to control everything to the detail, even intimidating other doctors. Poor things, they are afraid to stand up to her.
She is the reason, all the assholes got so much power. And this is an environment, I tried to fight, but soon realized that I was outnumbered.
Thank God the new boss knows me for years and is happy to take me in.
I'll have to endure until autumn this year and then I can go.

My father wasn't alone, he let my mother accompany him. They went by bike and found a place to eat and drink.
He told me, getting old is not for cowards, because he can barely walk now. His legs hurt because of the long ride. Of course he is still weak from the cancer treatment, so it isn't only the age.
But he was happy about the whiskey I gave him (good for the pain) and the sweets. Some mint chocolate and soft caramel bonbons, I know he likes.
LOL he was a bit angry that his legs hurt, but my mother's didn't. We told him, she can't feel the pain, because she is lacking the enzymes. LOL. Sometimes we make fun of the fact that my mother and I have a high pain tolerance.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 27, 2022, 02:04:09 AM »
Regen, such exciting news! Have a lot of fun in Turkey! That is so cool and I am sure your children will love flying.

I am glad your dad enjoy your gifts for him. Also I remember he was on isolation not so long ago, so I am pleased he is biking and enjoying the fresh air again. And I can imagine the banter about your mother not hurting  ;D

You had told us about your changes at work. I am sure all is going to be better in the new position :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 01, 2022, 02:34:04 PM »
Thanks.

I wanted to say: damn! I just wanted to try out the German translations, to see, if they are OK for my daughter to read. And what happened?
I read them!!!! And I can't stop. LOL
At the end of the year there will be new ones. They said, they took the old translations and improved them. I hope so. Already preordered. And there will also finally be translations of Peace Talks and Battle Ground.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 01, 2022, 11:48:30 PM »
LOL! It happens to me too. I began rereading a Dresden book just to check something and I finish reading all of it  :D
Dresden is addictive and I am pretty sure that is true in every language.

How are you doing? Some people I know is Covid+ but they are not too sick and hopefully they will be all right soon. There are many cases here, probably because of the cold days, but with vaccinations and omicron being softer, people is rarely too sick.
I've been staying at home this week, especially because I had to dictate my classes virtually, but Friday I will need to go to the job. It is necessary but I am not looking forward to it, especially now than the cold makes it difficult to leave the bed  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 02, 2022, 07:01:50 AM »
Yes, addictive, that's the word!  ;D
I am sure, once I have the new editions, I will start reading them again, because I need to compare, if there are differences, LOL.

We are fine. No one in my little family (meaning my husband, my children and myself) has ever had covid yet, though lots of people around us did.

They banned almost all the restrictions, but if you catch covid, you still have to quarantine. So I think most people just don't test themselves any more, so that they don't know if they have it or not. Yay.

My nephew called on Monday and told me, he is well again. What a surprise, because I didn't know he was ill before. He has a nasty autoimmune desease and was at home sick for almost two months (which we also didn't know, though we texted sometimes and he had new posts on Facebook). After he got better, he went out with his girlfriend and so they both got infected with covid. But he said, he felt OK, just a little headache and a running nose.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 02, 2022, 01:13:56 PM »
Oh, I hope he remains healthy and I am glad you and your family are well too.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 10, 2022, 09:54:13 PM »
Maen all! hope you and yours are all well.
heatwave here. Was 42°C yesterday. Today 41 and tomorrow 44. Going to work at 4:00 am to avoid most of it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 10, 2022, 11:06:37 PM »
OMG, that is terrible.
We are now with cold, around 10 C most of the day but at least today and yesterday were sunny. The previous day it was cloudy and foggy, it felt like coldness entered your very bones. We are still 10 days from the beginning of Winter, so I am a little worried, especially because it would be the first Winter I have to go to my job since the pandemics. I miss working comfortably and warm from home.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 11, 2022, 06:09:03 AM »
I can't imagine how it must feel at 44°C! My brain stops functioning well at 32°C and my head aches a lot, lol.
We are in Türkiye right now. It is between 26 and 28°C during the days. That's OK. I definitely won't go there in August, because there is around 40°C, too.
We are swimming in the sea every day. And in the evenings we go there and put just our feet in. It is very nice here.

Edit: I just came back from the pool. Now I am sitting outside and waiting for the others to wake up. LOL
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 06:11:47 AM by Regenbogen »