Author Topic: Resisiting a compel with magic. Can you?  (Read 2236 times)

Offline JediDresden2

• Participant
    • View Profile
Resisiting a compel with magic. Can you?
« on: June 20, 2020, 09:55:35 PM »
I know Harry does it when he goes on Larry Fowler.  If I remember right it was thaumaturgy he used to do it.  How can you design something like that in the game?  Since it is basically a compel against a characters high concept in game, how would you do a spell/ enchanted item/ IoP that helps you resist compels?

Thanks in advance for the assist.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Resisiting a compel with magic. Can you?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 09:36:50 PM »
You could, potentially, tag an aspect to resist a compel if it's relevant....I think.

So setting up a maneuver with Thaumaturgy: Steeled Mind, might let you resist a compel against being influenced.

OTOH,  Turning down a compel for a Wizard could just be paying a FATE point on their High Concept.  "No, I turn down this compel because I'm a wizard and I happen to have a spell that protects me."  pays a FATE point to GM

Offline JediDresden2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:26 PM »
Thanks for the help.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
The thing to remember is that a compel is a gameplay term.

It is not a story term.

Harry isn't using magic to resist a compel. He's using magic to resist an in-story consequence of his magic.

To put it another way, Harry putting up that spell is basically him creating a block against himself hexing things; if Harry was compelled, that means that the GM holds up a fate point and goes, "Your magic shorts everything out and gets you noticed, take it or spend a fate point so it doesn't happen."

If anything, it's Harry's aspect as a wizard that's being compelled, so he couldn't invoke that same aspect to get out of it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast