Author Topic: What do you look forward to in Peace Talks?  (Read 9509 times)

Offline AClone

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: What do you look forward to in Peace Talks?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 11:28:10 PM »
One thing that I'm looking forward to sometime in the near future would be Ancient Mai doing an about-face in her attitude towards Harry. She has made certain assumptions regarding him in the past. In the face of seeing him accompanied by a Foo Dog, she has to be aware that many of those assumptions are invalid. Especially considering she's obviously a true believer in Occam's Razor. In this case, the simplest explanation is that Harry isn't innately evil, like she thought he was.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 12:15:48 AM »
SNIP
/dup
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:07:04 AM by g33k »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 12:17:54 AM »
SNIP
/dup
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:10:13 AM by g33k »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 12:46:22 AM »
One thing that I'm looking forward to sometime in the near future would be Ancient Mai doing an about-face in her attitude towards Harry. She has made certain assumptions regarding him in the past. In the face of seeing him accompanied by a Foo Dog, she has to be aware that many of those assumptions are invalid. Especially considering she's obviously a true believer in Occam's Razor. In this case, the simplest explanation is that Harry isn't innately evil, like she thought he was.

Given that Mai is one of the prime candidates for being on the Black Council, her realization that Harry associates with a genuine Foo Dog may actually be more of an "oh shit!" moment than an "oh my!" moment...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 07:09:01 PM »
Given that Mai is one of the prime candidates for being on the Black Council, her realization that Harry associates with a genuine Foo Dog may actually be more of an "oh shit!" moment than an "oh my!" moment...

Then again Mouse didn't show any sign that she is evil.

Offline AClone

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »

Mai being “one of the prime candidates for Black Council“ according to whom?

Please. The woman is so rigidly on the good side that she practically has “Lawful Good” stamped on her forehead. The stone Temple Dogs that she created are a blatant symbol by Jim of exactly what side she’s on—and how.

Indeed, her problem with Harry is that she’s so firmly entrenched on the “good” side that she sees the bad things, and isn’t capable of grasping shades of gray. It’s either/or with her, a binary solution set.

That Ancient Mai would be Black Council is ridiculous. It’s like saying that Mister Ferro would be—outside of him ever having received that gift at Bianca’s party. I guess we’ll find out shortly whether that one “got” him or not.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 09:26:22 PM »
Bonnie and Maggie meet
I think they will have already met because Jim has talked about how the girls were making pancakes in, I believe, Peace Talks.

I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Wizard Rashid in Cold Days, explaining the "help" that he would give:
In other words, that box of mail that Harry has in Jury Duty probably includes a temporary ID, until he can get to a State of Illinois Driver's License station. Oh, and his back Warden pay is probably also among those envelopes. So, I guess Harry will be needing some deposit slips.
I wonder how long it will take for them to be able to take his photo without a malfunction.  ;)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 07:26:47 AM »
Mai being “one of the prime candidates for Black Council“ according to whom?

Please. The woman is so rigidly on the good side that she practically has “Lawful Good” stamped on her forehead. The stone Temple Dogs that she created are a blatant symbol by Jim of exactly what side she’s on—and how.

Indeed, her problem with Harry is that she’s so firmly entrenched on the “good” side that she sees the bad things, and isn’t capable of grasping shades of gray. It’s either/or with her, a binary solution set.

That Ancient Mai would be Black Council is ridiculous. It’s like saying that Mister Ferro would be—outside of him ever having received that gift at Bianca’s party. I guess we’ll find out shortly whether that one “got” him or not.

That very image of being "rigidly lawful good" could make an amazing cover, hmmm?

It lets her vote, consistently, to execute the Starborn.... because he might turn out bad.

Even if she's leaning in on the rigid ethics, she comes across as the sort who might slip over into ends-justifying-means and small-evil-for-greater-good thinking that could be JUST the chink in her moral armor that lets a Black Council pitch find fertile ground (like Kumori's "end Death" ambition has her helping do an obviously-evil Darkhallow).

Let's take a closer look at her Temple Dogs, for that matter.  The temple dogs who didn't detect Peabody... an active Black Magician. 

Nor did they detect any of his workings:  layers of control on most of the Wardens, many (or even all)  of the Senior Council, etc.  Mai's Temple Dogs allowed Peabody to smuggle a Mistfiend into the Council.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:28:38 PM by g33k »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 06:01:48 PM »
Honestly, I think the best argument for Ancient Mai not being Black Council is that it would be too obvious and therefore have little impact on the reader as a big revelation. Eb and Injun Joe would be the biggest shocks I would believe. The Gatekeeper would be the biggest shock, but I'd have a hard time believing he was on Team Outside. If the Black Council turns out to be very much not on Team Outside, then I could believe it.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »
I look forward to seeing "...all captain winter now..." In action. Winter knight melee fights with once enhancements are going to be awesome. Maybe soulfire powered ice claws etc.

Also Molly meeting the Merlin again...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 10:24:22 PM »
That very image of being "rigidly lawful good" could make an amazing cover, hmmm?

It lets her vote, consistently, to execute the Starborn.... because he might turn out bad.

Even if she's leaning in on the rigid ethics, she comes across as the sort who might slip over into ends-justifying-means and small-evil-for-greater-good thinking that could be JUST the chink in her moral armor that lets a Black Council pitch find fertile ground (like Kumori's "end Death" ambition has her helping do an obviously-evil Darkhallow).

Let's take a closer look at her Temple Dogs, for that matter.  The temple dogs who didn't detect Peabody... an active Black Magician. 

Nor did they detect any of his workings:  layers of control on most of the Wardens, many (or even all)  of the Senior Council, etc.  Mai's Temple Dogs allowed Peabody to smuggle a Mistfiend into the Council.
Do you think for one moment that anyone would have checked Peabody.  He was invisible.  Always there but never in sight.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
Do you think for one moment that anyone would have checked Peabody.  He was invisible.  Always there but never in sight.

Even if they never checked Peabody, his workings were all over the place, as g33k pointed out.  All over the young wardens, who would not have gotten the same pass that Peabody  or the senior council did.

Even assuming that the temple dog statues are not always on, one would rightfully assume that they should have tripped on at least one of the hundreds of people Peabody messed with.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 01:32:03 PM »
Honestly, I think the best argument for Ancient Mai not being Black Council is that it would be too obvious and therefore have little impact on the reader as a big revelation. Eb and Injun Joe would be the biggest shocks I would believe. The Gatekeeper would be the biggest shock, but I'd have a hard time believing he was on Team Outside. If the Black Council turns out to be very much not on Team Outside, then I could believe it.

The best evidence that Ancient Mai isn't Black Council is Mouse totally ignored her.  If there was the merest sniff that she was, he would have bared his teeth and gone for her throat before she could have even got the question out about what Harry was doing with a real Foo Dog.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 08:26:48 PM »
The best evidence that Ancient Mai isn't Black Council is Mouse totally ignored her.  If there was the merest sniff that she was, he would have bared his teeth and gone for her throat before she could have even got the question out about what Harry was doing with a real Foo Dog.
Following that logic, the only member of the Senior Council that could be on the Black Council is Cristos. I don't think that's the case.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 10:40:37 PM »
Even if they never checked Peabody, his workings were all over the place, as g33k pointed out.  All over the young wardens, who would not have gotten the same pass that Peabody  or the senior council did.

Even assuming that the temple dog statues are not always on, one would rightfully assume that they should have tripped on at least one of the hundreds of people Peabody messed with.
The only way to know that would be for Jim to say exactly what
Temple Dogs are designed to detect. Which he hasn't.