Author Topic: What do you look forward to in Peace Talks?  (Read 9466 times)

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What do you look forward to in Peace Talks?
« on: May 01, 2020, 07:30:10 AM »
I realise that there is just soo many things to look forward to. I will just list two :-)

-To see the effect of Harry not being limited by money in terms of building cool magical stuff. It has always held him back to some degree before, but now he has a bag of diamonds.
- I wonder if he is going to use earth magic more, it was stated in changes that it is a more physically demanding discipline than the others and since he is now at the very least one of the physically strongest mortal wizards in the world, that could be something.

What do you look forward to?

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What do you look forward to in Peace Talks?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
Seeing how Ebenezer and Thomas interact.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 02:05:30 PM »
   Going to keep an open mind.. ::)  The trailer and the first chapter preview kind of clash, not to mention there is going to be a part two book!  :o  One to you can be sure of, it is going to hit the fan and everyone is going to get hit! 8)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 03:57:14 PM by Mira »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »
-To see the effect of Harry not being limited by money in terms of building cool magical stuff. It has always held him back to some degree before, but now he has a bag of diamonds.
I really hope Jim goes in this direction. I don't mind if he does it slowly by just adding one or two awesome gadgets a book, but I'm going to be pretty disappointed if he doesn't at least do "permanent" or "full" enchantments. That would allow him to have more (instead of just better) equipment. In either Storm Front or Fool Moon, Harry talks about how full enchantments are expensive and he only does partial enchantments on his equipment. Jim has mentioned that Harry puts in about 20 hours a week maintaining his equipment. If he was able to do full enchantments, then he could spent that time enchanting new equipment instead of maintaining his regular gear. In Fool Moon Bob mentions "a greater Ring of Invisibility," and Harry's response is "Do I look like I'm made of money? I can't afford that."

So both more equipment and some awesome stuff are now possible for Harry according to the rules established in the books. I just hope Jim doesn't forget about it.

I do look forward to seeing what Jim says about Harry's finances. If anyone recalls the various estimates of the value of the diamonds, they went from "Harry's set for life if he's careful with his money" to "Oprah looks poor by comparison money." I'm thinking it should be somewhere around "Harry's set for life as long as he isn't completely stupid with his money" amounts based on Marcone's reaction to the diamonds.

I look forward to seeing Bonea. I doubt she is going to be very useful based on some things that Jim has said. I have a feeling if Harry is asking for her help like he did with Bob, it's going to be more like asking Toot questions about Winter Law and speaking Russian.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 09:52:29 PM »
Breaking the masquerade.  And Bad Alias, Bonea may not shine now but Jim has warned you  that she will eventually. She was thought  to be very valuable by a fallen angel.  That says something.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »
Yeah. She's probably going to be more comic relief for a little while than helpful. I've always really enjoyed Jim's characters that are heavy comic relief like Bob and Toot.

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 11:28:02 PM »
-Harry adjusting to new relationships with Maggie, Bonnie, and Murphy.
-Harry having some stability before it gets wrecked.
-Harry and the White Council.
-Seeing more of Molly's new Winter Lady duties in a professional setting.
-The Masquerade getting broken.
-"Murphy's funeral", which I'm still assuming to be metaphorical or not Karrin Murphy.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 02:13:37 AM »
Gear -- While I wouldn't object, it's not what I long to see.  However, I don't expect we'll see it; or if we do, only minimally:  it takes not just money, but time.  What with the war with the Fomor, and other sorts of service to Mab, and Harry's own sense of duty and obligation to his friends, and to the mortal world in general and Chicago in particular... I'm just not seeing lots of lab-time for dear Mr. Dresden.

I'd love to see Harry starting to investigate some of the backstory & theory we've seen hinted-at before.
What is a Starborn, exactly?  WHY is a Starborn?
What can Starborn's do, besides being harder for Outsiders to resist?
What was going on with Margaret LeFay, that she took up with Papa Raith?  What was going on with her that she left him?  What happened in her life (and Malcom's) post-Raith & pre-Harry?
Was there a noteworthy Maggie/Justin duMorne link?  What was it?
Is Elaine also a Starborn?  What is HER parentage???
What did Justin want with a couple of Starborn, besides cheap magical muscle?
What are some of the specific entities imprisoned in Demonreach, and why?  Are they there on general "too dangerous" principles, or did any of them perform some unforgivable deed?  Are there any of the Fallen (Denarian or otherwise) imprisoned?
What are the Winter Laws, specifically as applied to the Knight?  What duties does Harry owe to Lady/Queen/Mother?

Etc Etc Etc...  Harry has been showing up as kind of ... well... a bit stupid, for not pursuing (at least some of) these questions (the questions he asked Toot in Cold Days was a pathetic attempt, really!)

Edit:  oh, yeah!  Eb learning about the extra descendants he has!   ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 01:00:50 AM by g33k »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 02:37:43 AM »
Gear -- While I wouldn't object, it's not what I long to see.
What I want to see from Harry's gear is a lack of retconning the things I pointed out and a lack of complaining about "muh shield bracelet" from Harry that we've had from two books.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 11:25:00 AM »
Seeing Ebenezer meet his great-granddaughters.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
I want the masquerade to break.
Harry and Carlos fighting against baddies together
Whoever dies gets to go out in style
Eb and Thomas meet and talk more about Margaret
Bonnie and Maggie meet

Offline Sev Expar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 12:43:01 AM »
I'm really excited about Harry's run to the bank; explaining the whole no ID situation, clarifying that he's not dead anymore, etc.
Bank runs are awesome!

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 01:02:04 AM »
I'm really excited about Harry's run to the bank; explaining the whole no ID situation, clarifying that he's not dead anymore, etc.
Bank runs are awesome!
awww, c'mon, man!

This is a family-friendly forum, the Dresdenfiles is a family-friendly series, you can't just talk about this sort of thing!!!

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »
Harry using soulfire to something it is really suited for. So far I think the best bang for the buck use of it has been the illusions in the FBI's building in changes. But some longer term magical construct seems like the best use of it.

Offline AClone

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 10:07:53 PM »
Bank runs are awesome!
I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Wizard Rashid in Cold Days, explaining the "help" that he would give:
"...There's some paperwork to fill out to get the Council's office to reestablish your official identity with the government, but I'll see to it that it happens. I think I remember all the necessary forms".

In other words, that box of mail that Harry has in Jury Duty probably includes a temporary ID, until he can get to a State of Illinois Driver's License station. Oh, and his back Warden pay is probably also among those envelopes. So, I guess Harry will be needing some deposit slips.