Author Topic: New custom power  (Read 3078 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
New custom power
« on: February 01, 2020, 06:09:45 PM »
PRIMAL ENMITY [+0]

Description: You have a primal opposition to one or more enemies of yours, crossing over from personal dislike into the sort of warring that makes myths. Whether you’re a knight of the cross dealing with Denarians or a scion of Beowulf trying to stop a Grendelkin, you detect the presence and workings of your enemy more easily. The downside is, these sorts of bonds do not work one way.

Musts: You can only take this power if your relevant sworn enemy takes it as well.

Note: This isn’t a power you can slap onto any two rivals. The opposition of the enemies who take this power must be in the realm of myth: Heaven vs Hell, Winter vs Summer, and so forth are the class of viable candidates to go with here.

Skills Affected: Lore, Deceit, Stealth, possibly others.

Effects:

Know Thy Enemy. You know instinctively when your foe is at work. You can use Lore+1 to detect your enemy’s presence or identify them as the culprit behind the magic they weave.

The Enemy Knows Thee. Your presence and your magic are more detectable to your enemy than you might like. Any skill you use to conceal yourself from your enemy suffers a -1 penalty. Further, if you attempt to hide yourself with magic, the penalty is -2 instead.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: New custom power
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »
Why is the penalty higher for magic?

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
I think its more like supernatural catch against both sides as both sides know each other too well they kinda automatically trigger their own aspects against each other.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
I think its more like supernatural catch against both sides as both sides know each other too well they kinda automatically trigger their own aspects against each other.

This. It’s meant to represent things like how in Death Masks, Michael and Sanya could sense Nicodemus in the airport, and conversely, Nicodemus could sense Shiro coming when while Harry was imprisoned.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 10:34:17 PM »
Why is the penalty higher for magic?

Mechanically, I'd represent it as:  You're leaving all the physical signs that your opponent knows so well, AND your adding your own magical signature... that your opponent knows so well.

What passes as "disguise" for most -- even magical disguise -- acts more like signposts for your Primal Enemy.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 07:36:45 AM »
Interesting idea. I feel like the effects are overly minor, though.

If I have to see it every time I look at my character sheet, I'd like it to mean a little more than a very occasional small bonus.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 03:51:53 PM »
This feels like it could just be an aspect and compels to me.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast