Author Topic: Battle Ground Cover Art  (Read 9382 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground Cover Art
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 10:17:34 PM »
Because that cover looks like an urban disaster of larger than typical Dresden scope.

I think the "Terrorist" excuse finally unravels at the end of the book... on live TV.

"The city was on fire, and it wasn't my fault."
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 01:35:00 AM »
"The city was on fire, and it wasn't my fault."

And this time, I had proof!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 06:06:33 AM »
Like the hat?

I know it is not an original roman spearhead, I just wondered of somebody would know where the inspiration came from.

Yeah, like the hat that Harry never wears.  I think the inspiration comes form the very important and powerful artifact Harry retrieved from the vault.  I cannot remember how detailed the description of it was in Skin Game, which could account for it.  The idea is to intrigue us and get us guessing, which could also account for the generic quality of it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 06:15:59 AM »
Some things I noticed: Harry's pentacle is "upside down" and doesn't have his mom's ruby. Also, McGrath's signature has "19" after it. Could that mean he had this done some time last year? If so, why was the book announced without the cover art?

Maybe a dumb question, but how can you tell if a pentacle necklace is upside down?  Yes, supposedly there is an up side and a down side to a five pointed star, but the necklace might be different.  I think the center of the picture is too fuzzy to tell whether or not the ruby is there or not.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 10:19:04 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but how can you tell if a pentacle necklace is upside down?  Yes, supposedly there is an up side and a down side to a five pointed star, but the necklace might be different.  I think the center of the picture is too fuzzy to tell whether or not the ruby is there or not.
In the beginning of Small Favor he has a bit where he explains some of the Pentacle lore to Murphy and talks about the first point being the Pentacle's North (or something to that effect) and that the first line you draw plays a role in that, but the way he described it sure implied that the "normal" version has a point facing upward.  In most of the other covers I can find good images of at the moment (Cold Days and White Night right now) it has that more normal/traditional point-upward orientation, but in both Peace Talks and Battle Grounds it's point-down.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 10:59:18 PM »
If you draw the star without lifting your pencil you will always end at the point where you begin.  I suppose this is considered up. If you omit the circle  it is impossible to attach a chain anywhere other than a point and have the star hang correctly.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 12:37:27 AM »
First, note my use of quotation marks. This should indicate to anyone with passing familiarity with various meanings of pentacles have in western society that I'm just saying it isn't a pentacle with a point of the star as the top. Second, what Quantus said. Third, https://www.jim-butcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/IMG_0972.jpg.

For the ruby, just zoom in. It's quite clearly not there.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 02:10:45 AM »
Well after a little research it turns out that it's called a inverted pentagram and it could be a symbol for Satanism and a demon called Baphomet.

And just because I can, is this evil Harry from Mirror Mirror.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:14:39 AM by morriswalters »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 03:28:13 AM »
In the beginning of Small Favor he has a bit where he explains some of the Pentacle lore to Murphy and talks about the first point being the Pentacle's North (or something to that effect) and that the first line you draw plays a role in that, but the way he described it sure implied that the "normal" version has a point facing upward.  In most of the other covers I can find good images of at the moment (Cold Days and White Night right now) it has that more normal/traditional point-upward orientation, but in both Peace Talks and Battle Grounds it's point-down.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, it is just something I never paid that much attention to in the pictures, that is why I asked.  Though I know the pentacle is important to Harry, however I don't remember the bit
from Small Favor.
First, note my use of quotation marks. This should indicate to anyone with passing familiarity with various meanings of pentacles have in western society that I'm just saying it isn't a pentacle with a point of the star as the top. Second, what Quantus said. Third, https://www.jim-butcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/IMG_0972.jpg.

For the ruby, just zoom in. It's quite clearly not there.

Some of us aren't deeply into that lore or do a lot of jewelry shopping ..  Though I think the Wolf Man has one on his palm in the old movies.   Perhaps the artist is just sloppy, or just never read Changes?  Having said that one would think that Jim has to approve of the cover art.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:36:52 AM by Mira »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 02:43:32 PM »
I believe the pentacle is an artistic license, mainly because I don't think Harry's necklace could change. Just in case, I checked Eb's pentacle in the trailer and is is "normal" (not upside down). Also, if I've seen it well, it has no gem.

It would be so interesting though (I mean, if Harry really was wearing an upside-down pentacle)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2020, 03:47:25 PM »
I believe the pentacle is an artistic license, mainly because I don't think Harry's necklace could change. Just in case, I checked Eb's pentacle in the trailer and is is "normal" (not upside down). Also, if I've seen it well, it has no gem.

It would be so interesting though (I mean, if Harry really was wearing an upside-down pentacle)

Eb wouldn't have a ruby or jewel in his pentacle anyway, because the ruby belonged to Margaret and didn't make it or use it to hold the maps for the Ways?   It came from her to Harry via Lea, I haven't heard of Eb being like wise associated with the Ways and the Nevernever like his daughter was.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
I think it's "upside down" because that's how Mr. McGrath did it. I don't think it means anything more than that. The ruby is also absent in Cold Days and Peace Talks. I also that's just a choice Mr. McGrath made (or he just didn't know about the ruby).

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 07:42:55 PM »
That seems to be the consensus on Reddit as well. To bad, I like my idea. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 08:16:54 PM »
  Eb wouldn't have a ruby or jewel in his pentacle anyway, because the ruby belonged to Margaret and didn't make it or use it to hold the maps for the Ways?   It came from her to Harry via Lea, I haven't heard of Eb being like wise associated with the Ways and the Nevernever like his daughter was.
Yes, you are right
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »
That seems to be the consensus on Reddit as well. To bad, I like my idea.
What's your idea? Is it that Harry or Mr. McGrath is a Satanist?