Author Topic: Need help with converting characters to Dresden Files Accelerated  (Read 2729 times)

Offline McNulty

• Participant
    • View Profile
So as the tin says, we are converting our existing DFRPG characters to DFA. Most of it is pretty easy, but one of our characters is really throwing me a curve ball. He is Focused Practitioner with the focus being Rituals:Crafting, ie the one that doesn't have any other magic abilities than crafting potions and magic items. How would you approach converting this one to DFA?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Need help with converting characters to Dresden Files Accelerated
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
I'm not sure if Spirit of the Century is Fate Accelerated but it has gadget and artifact stunts that might work for crafting.

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 12:24:58 AM »
I want to help with this. This seems really cool to me. Can you give me a rundown of what the character has done using this magical ability thus far? Like, what's the weakest item they've created? The most powerful? The most useful? Do they make charmed items or just potions or what? Also, what do the player think is the coolest thing about being a magical crafter? Does the character enjoy mundane building, repairing, crafting? Or just imbuing things with magic?

There are a lot of ways to do with this and it all depends on the player's personal preference. There is no one size fits all. We want to get this as close to what the player thinks is awesome as possible. I'll be thinking on it and I'll come back Sunday with some suggestions.

Thanks for your time!
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 05:18:43 PM »
Magical Crafter Mantle
Tools of the Trade: Whether have figured out the workings of many a magical item over years of practice or the blood of the Svartálfar flows through your veins, you have have a knack for and love of making magical items. You carry with you a couple of signature items at all times. Choose two different combinations of action and approach, then name the items associated with them. An overcome action with Guile might be a "skeleton key" which unlocks any lock, or a defend action using Force might be "ring of protection." Use of these items gain the benefit of Supernatural Scale at the GM's discretion.

Ars Technica: Mark Exhausted. Inexplicably, your magic extends to even the mundane items you handle. When you repair, modify, or build a mundane device it always functions as intended and is uncanny in its performance. In game terms, you create an aspect relating to the work you've done and you gain two free invokes. At the GM's discretion, you gain the benefit of Scale when using your device.

Uncanny Invention: Mark Burned Out. You may combine materials in impossible ways, giving one the attribute of another. You may make paper with the strength of steel, or steel with the weight of paper. You may create a set of clothing that's fireproof, waterproof, and bullet proof -- you just need materials with the proper attributes and time in your forge or alchemical lab. Consult the the GM and design any stunts or conditions these new creations may confer upon their user, subject to the normal restrictions. Permanent additions to any character must be paid for normally during a major milestone, otherwise using the item beyond the scene it was introduced costs a fate point.

Stunt Suggestions
Crafsman's Eye: You have an intuitive understanding of mystic artifcacts. Just by seeing an item, you can tell what it does, at least in general, and are capable of activating it.

More Toys: You carry additional signature items with you. Choose another action, another approach, and name the item. You my buy this stunt more than once.

Proper Workspace: When preparing rituals which fit in the penumbra of your Talent, add +2 to the preparation roll and reduce the number of costs by 1 (to a minimum of 1).

Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 05:20:01 PM »
I love that mantle. Another thing to consider layering in is a more item-specific ritual system for coming up with powerful new items in session. I suggest retheming the Atomic Robo invention system to incorporate magic items.

https://fate-srd.com/atomic-robo/invention