Author Topic: Peace Talks Trailer.  (Read 15551 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks Trailer.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 01:00:46 AM »
I've been on the good ship S.S. Elaine for a long time. I freely admit that ship seems to be sinking fast. Can we knock off the spoilerizing? If someone's gotten this far down the thread, they've likely read everything or stopped.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 01:02:06 AM »
Okay, so a few things.

(click to show/hide)

Arjan - Why must the assassin be Kincaid? There are several assassins in the books so far, why him?

I am not sure True Love is a protection against WCVs. More like being in love with someone...I know it is semantics but I think the point is that it doesn't have to be your one and only soulmate.

KurtinStGeorge -
(click to show/hide)

Dina -
It's fair not to like it, but to be unimpressed is just odd. It wasn't meant to be Hollywood-level. Either your expectations are unrealistically high, or you are unreasonably critical. It's meant to simply generate interest and give some fan service. Like a youtube fan film etc. I think production wise it was actually pretty good - and I have been involved in Film on and off for many years now. There were lots of nice touches with editing to conceal some Easter Eggs, and while the casting might not be to everyone's taste, they worked with what they had. Not bad really. I think after putting in so much time and effort and passion, it's more than a little disheartening for the creators and a bit ridiculous and churlish of you to be negative - especially in these difficult times.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:00:25 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 01:09:12 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

As for the trailer itself, it was fine. I wish the Q&A had fielded more of the general questions than being mostly about the trailer though.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 01:19:03 AM »
Dina -
It's fair not to like it, but to be unimpressed is just odd. It wasn't meant to be Hollywood-level. Either your expectations are unrealistically high, or you are unreasonably critical. It's meant to simply generate interest and give some fan service. Like a youtube fan film etc. I think production wise it was actually pretty good - and I have been involved in Film on and off for many years now. There were lots of nice touches with editing to conceal some Easter Eggs, and while the casting might not be to everyone's taste, they worked with what they had. Not bad really. I think after putting in so much time and effort and passion, it's more than a little disheartening for the creators and a bit ridiculous and churlish of you to be negative - especially in these difficult times.

Wow! Ridiculous and churlish (a word I don't know, actually)? And a low hit on top of that? Sorry, you can make me feel bad all what you want, I may go to a corner to hide and cry, but even if I wanted, I cannot change what I've felt when I watched it. I tried not to be aggressive or offensive, seriously. I thought this is a place where we were allowed to say our feelings, without offending anyone. That is what I tried to do. And your answer really surprised me.

But if you think the people involved may have read what I wrote, I will add: I loved the FX, and the care they put in make-up, clothing and hair dressing. It is obvious there is a lot of work involved.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:33:40 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:01 AM »
(click to show/hide)
That's a svartalf from Bombshells.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 01:36:46 AM »
The caption identifies her as
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 01:48:58 AM »
My apologies Dina, my response came out harsher than I intended. Having seen how people tore apart the last few trailers, not to mention how critical people can be generally about this stuff (especially on the internet) I was a bit defensive. I know some people who worked on those other trailers and the way people reacted to people just trying to provide some entertainment and fan service was very toxic, and we were just so shocked after trying to do something nice for everyone. Just so you and everyone else knows, quite a lot of people involved do read these forums (even if they don't post or even have accounts. It pays to think about how your reaction might affect others. You are always more than welcome to say what you like, but there can be consequences too. Free speech cuts both ways, I'm afraid.  We all run the risk of offending people with any actions we take and whatever things we say. Best thing we can do is try and be respectful and kind, and I compromised my own principles then being harsher than was necessary. I am sorry for that, I hope you have a good day.

Snark Knight - I think the Winter Mantle is more like the Dark Side of the Force. It doesn't so much protect defensively, I suspect it follows the "best defense is a good offense" idea. Kill before you get over powered. Creatures like phages might be biting off more than they can chew trying to eat Winter.

Bad Alias - my bad, so it is. Why Evanna says he is getting justice is strange...who would she care about apart from another Svartalf? Gard maybe (being related in mythological circles)? Although why he would kill Gard is a mystery to me...forget Marcone you have to deal with Vadderung!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 01:57:00 AM »
Ok, my point was that you accused me of being rude when I did not say anything but the way I personally reacted to the trailer, I did not mentioned anything at all about the trailer itself, precisely because I did not want to hurt anyone. I only said what I feel. And of course I did not offend anyone specifically, while you attacked me personally. But it's all right, I understand three things, a) you took it personally because you want to protect the people you know, which is great. b) you were a la defensive because of your previous experience (I personally don't think I said anything about the previous trailer, so I get it is not against me) and c) we are all sensitive right now, with all what is happening. So it's all right. I am sorry our first (as far as I recall) interaction in so many years was that bad. And I did not want to offend anyone.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 03:09:59 AM »
The caption identifies her as
(click to show/hide)
Thanks. I heard Jim and Priscilla say it, but I had no idea how to spell it.

I think maybe Thomas did something regarding the talks that fall under Marcone's aegis. Maybe as host. Thomas almost certainly had reasons, was framed (but that seems duplicative of Turn Coat), mind controlled (see last parenthetical), or something.

One of the things that Jim said is that good stories come from bad decisions. I think that was in the interview linked to over in the "Battle Ground???" thread.
Here's the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpLssK14iL8
It might've been the live stream. Anyway, I think it's important to keep in mind that flawed characters generally make for better stories.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 03:33:34 AM »
... Snark Knight - I think the Winter Mantle is more like the Dark Side of the Force. It doesn't so much protect defensively, I suspect it follows the "best defense is a good offense" idea. Kill before you get over powered. Creatures like phages might be biting off more than they can chew trying to eat Winter ...

I've previously wondered if White Court mojo might be able to wreak havoc with Winter Knight hungers.  We know that Harry can take a full-on hit of Hungry Lara, and turn that to fuel his own magic, but maybe WK's extra out-of-control "hungers" would weaken Harry's self-control...?

Then I realized...

I now expect that the WK would simply do the sex/violence conversion (that Harry has had to deal with several times).  They're the same, for the WK.  A whamp would never see it coming, never realize when their amorous victim decided to kill them, instead...

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 03:45:27 AM »
I agree with g33k. If a White used the sexy vibes on Harry, he might lose all control. Jim did say in one of the videos today that anything that makes one ... more excitable would probably make them more vulnerable to White Court seduction.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 04:46:58 AM »
Yes, and it could also depend of the circumstances, I mean, if, for example, Harry is hurt he will be more prone to loose control.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 05:36:16 AM »
Arjan - Why must the assassin be Kincaid? There are several assassins in the books so far, why him?

The assassin, A creature well known to be your frequent ally
That reduces the suspect pool quite a bit.

Also “The Assassin” did sound a bit like a long earned title or a profession, not like someone who just killed someone else. A creature like Kincaid could be called the assassin. It is his profession. And he is at drift now.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 06:40:25 AM »
Yes, and it could also depend of the circumstances, I mean, if, for example, Harry is hurt he will be more prone to loose control.
Is he ever not hurt?  ;)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 06:57:01 AM »
Good point  :)
Missing you, Md