Author Topic: Battle Ground??  (Read 21062 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground??
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »
... you pays your money and takes your chances.

Or you waits 'til you can read reviews &c from some of the others whose tastes have previously been close to your own...   ;D

(jus' sayin)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2020, 08:50:14 AM »
In Dead Beat Dresden asks Mab what happens if the Darkhallow succeeds. She tells him that Cowl will hold power that hasn't fallen into human hands in living memory (or something).

In the blurb for Battle Grounds it says that the Last Titan is power of an order of magnitude above any of Harry's normal enemies, power the mortal world hasn't seen in a millenium. This is almost certainly tied to Hastings. When Titania and Mab both ascended, Mother Summer retired and the Queens of Faerie died. Also when the last Starborn was running around. Long have people speculated this was when the Gate Changeover happened at the Outer Gates, and why Vadderung and Mab have a long standing disagreement. 

Was Cowl trying to become a Titan or Titan-level being? Maybe to match the Titan and maybe to do the same thing. Interestingly, Cowl and his cronies talk of a New World Order and they will reshape the place.

The Last Titan is trying to conquer the mortal world too.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:53:53 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
In the blurb for Battle Grounds it says that the Last Titan is power of an order of magnitude above any of Harry's normal enemies, power the mortal world hasn't seen in a millenium. This is almost certainly tied to Hastings. When Titania and Mab both ascended, Mother Summer retired and the Queens of Faerie died. Also when the last Starborn was running around. Long have people speculated this was when the Gate Changeover happened at the Outer Gates, and why Vadderung and Mab have a long standing disagreement. 
Where is this part said? I don't remember it.
Your spoiler-tagged theory is interesting.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »
... Also when the last Starborn was running around ...
Where is this part said? I don't remember it.

It's one of the common theories -- dunno if it has been confirmed via WoJ -- that there was a Starborn active at that time.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »
It's one of the common theories -- dunno if it has been confirmed via WoJ -- that there was a Starborn active at that time.
It was a wou but I can never find them if I want to.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2020, 05:06:03 PM »
It is not the same to say "there was an active Starborn" that "the last Starborn was active". If there has not been a starborn in a thousand years, it is much weird that there are two (Harry and Eleaine) at the same time(same age even)  in the same country. And it makes them much more special.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2020, 05:38:25 PM »
It is not the same to say "there was an active Starborn" that "the last Starborn was active". If there has not been a starborn in a thousand years, it is much weird that there are two (Harry and Eleaine) at the same time(same age even)  in the same country. And it makes them much more special.

Or there is only one, but two who had potential requirements to be the starborn.  Kind of like Harry Potter and Nevil Longbottom..

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »
Unless there can only be a Starborn at certain conjunctions that only come around every 1,000 years or so.

My recollection of where that comes from was that it was something like "the last time a starborn was running around both the Ladies died," and it was a reference to when Aurora and Maeve became Ladies.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2020, 06:03:56 PM »
It was a wou but I can never find them if I want to.

I dunno if this is all there is, but...
Uh, the Ladies, Queens and Mothers, their mantles change very, very, very rarely in general. I mean, Mab’s been there for better than 1,000 years. And Maeve’s been there….there was a Winter Lady before Maeve, uh, in Mab’s time. And she didn’t fare so well the last time a Starborn was running around.
  (https://wordof.jim-butcher.com/index.php/word-of-jim-woj-compilation/woj-on-the-fae/, near the end.)

It's not 100% clear to me, from this, that "the last time a Starborn was running around" is the SAME time as that thousand-years-ago time.

Interestingly, Jim said "better than 1000 years" which would noticeably pre-date Hastings (indeed, predate the birth of William the Conqueror).  It could be simple error in speaking; everybody's subject to slip-of-the-tongue errors, carelessness, etc...

Or not.

Everybody's all busy looking at Hastings, while maybe Jim is over there cackling madly about Millenial Madness and the Y1K panic, for example.  Charlemagne's kingdom being split into 3 (three Swords?) in 843AD, for another example (or Charlemagne's rise, late 700's through 800AD).

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2020, 06:18:43 PM »
Of that quote, I think that Maeve predecessor lived any time in the last 1000 years, it could had been a couple of centuries ago. We don't know if Aurora become a Lady at the same time.

And Mira is right about the requirements to be a starborn.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2020, 07:05:10 PM »
It could be Clontarf. It is somewhat earlier and ab big defeat of the vikings by the Irish in 1014. R.E. Howard wrote a piece about it and I just had to think about it

http://www.howardworks.com/storyg.htm#grey

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
Not to mention the fact that other authors have put out doorstopper novel that don’t market at $50 a pop.

Yeah, Rothfuss hardcovers are double the page count of any DF book, with smaller print, and still not prohibitive for bookbinding. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, though - maybe it's mostly the change in tone not working, and this might be much longer than a normal DF novel.

Of that quote, I think that Maeve predecessor lived any time in the last 1000 years, it could had been a couple of centuries ago. We don't know if Aurora become a Lady at the same time.

Maeve and Sarissa's father was the "famous Austrian composer" which, even admitting some uncertainty which one we're talking about, pretty much limits them to being born no earlier than ca. 1650. And it may have been a while until Maeve got her mantle; perhaps ~1800. I believe Molly refers to a "two hundred year backlog" from how lazy Maeve was about her duties.

But it might be that there was one intervening Winter Lady between the time both got killed in the era of the last Starborn and Maeve's ascension.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »
Uh, the Ladies, Queens and Mothers, their mantles change very, very, very rarely in general. I mean, Mab’s been there for better than 1,000 years. And Maeve’s been there….there was a Winter Lady before Maeve, uh, in Mab’s time. And she didn’t fare so well the last time a Starborn was running around.
(https://wordof.jim-butcher.com/index.php/word-of-jim-woj-compilation/woj-on-the-fae/, near the end.)
I'm pretty sure that's the one I remember.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2020, 08:27:40 PM »
It seems to imply the the Gatekeeper is a starborn.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2020, 02:11:49 AM »
From that and Mab's remark on his brolliance and insanity, I figured Kemmler was starborn, & the death of the WL was part of his mantle research