Author Topic: Battle Ground??  (Read 21168 times)

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground??
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »
 @Arjan: Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jaeger!
....I'm not sorry.
But wow, how long did he have to keep this to himself?

Offline LoopyGuru

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
Just watched the Daniel Greene interview.  Easy to miss, but Jim said that he hoped to finish the 2nd Cinder Spires by the end of the summer, so if he keeps to that schedule we may have that by spring next year.  And therefore he could be starting the 18th Dresden by this autumn.  Which would be nice.  Feeling like a feast after famine is possible!

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2020, 09:29:01 PM »
I don't buy new books often, so I don't really know what he market is. Used Dresden Files books ranged from $4-12 delivered for the most part. I generally get hardbacks, but they didn't exist until Dead Beat and for some reason, I ended up with Cold Days, I think, in paperback. You can get Skin Game for about $8.50 right now, used and hardback. New it's over $30. Paperback for about $9 something, new or used. (All Amazon).

Amazon is telling me $18.31 for the Peace Talks hardback. So that's about $10 for getting it soonest and in mint condition (unless your delivery guy throws it over your gate, RobReece). I only see the kindle edition for Battle Ground. Barnes and Noble is coming out to $41.16 total for both for me. Free shipping, didn't check tax, but I'm sure that's added. I'm figure the Battle Ground hardback will be about the same as Peace Talks once it hits Amazon.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2020, 09:51:05 PM »
I don't buy new books often, so I don't really know what he market is. Used Dresden Files books ranged from $4-12 delivered for the most part. I generally get hardbacks, but they didn't exist until Dead Beat and for some reason, I ended up with Cold Days, I think, in paperback. You can get Skin Game for about $8.50 right now, used and hardback. New it's over $30. Paperback for about $9 something, new or used. (All Amazon).

Amazon is telling me $18.31 for the Peace Talks hardback. So that's about $10 for getting it soonest and in mint condition (unless your delivery guy throws it over your gate, RobReece). I only see the kindle edition for Battle Ground. Barnes and Noble is coming out to $41.16 total for both for me. Free shipping, didn't check tax, but I'm sure that's added. I'm figure the Battle Ground hardback will be about the same as Peace Talks once it hits Amazon.

Unless Amazon made an error, or it was on special the week I ordered it, but I just went back and checked it
Track package
Peace Talks (Dresden Files)
Butcher, Jim
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
$11.16 

I will check it again to make sure they didn't think I ordered it on Kindle, because I didn't.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:55:55 PM by Mira »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2020, 11:06:22 PM »
I am happy with it. Two books will be easier to pay (I mean, assuming the same total amount I rather pay it in two parts) and it will be good to have some DF to read on July and September. I am excited.

Now, to find where you are discussing the trailer.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2020, 11:35:52 PM »
Amazon had a sale on PT recently, so I'm definitely saving by breaking up the cost between two books. $50->over $70CAD and I'm getting PT for around $25CAD due to the sale. Even if Battle Ground isn't priced similarly, it still saves a bit of money.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2020, 12:53:17 AM »
Now, to find where you are discussing the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriscellieThat's Priscilla's Youtube page. It's got the trailer and the live stream.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2020, 01:21:37 AM »
Thanks! I just meant the thread here in the forum for discussing it. About the trailer itself I went to the JB official site and there was a link to the trailer.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:43 AM »
@Dina: Cool. My bad.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2020, 01:39:04 AM »
Not bad at all  :). Thanks anyway!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2020, 02:23:55 AM »
Morris, it might feel like a cash grab but I think it isn't likely. They way he explains it is that he tried to write one big novel over the past few years and couldn't make it work. This is because it starts of like a traditional Dresden Files story and then morphs into something very different. He was trying something out (not to mention all the issues in his personal life that slowed down his writing) and this is the result. He even says in the interview, the publisher wanted to publish it next year and he wanted us to not have to wait that long (which I am sure you can appreciate, considering you often say you won't see the end of the Files). Even if it is a cash grab because money is tight, I don't mind. Life is tough right now, and Jim has had a tough few years, and being an author (even a successful one) doesn't mean you don't run into money issues occasionally. His books make me happy, and I am more than happy to pay for two polished novels quickly, rather than one expensive mess. I take him at his word, but how you see it is up to you.

Also - does anyone else see the obvious reference to PUBG? One feels Battle Ground will be a last man standing book. Good for jim to try and capture that zeitgeist (even if he is a little behind the eight ball).

(click to show/hide)

Offline GWPfark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2020, 02:37:58 AM »
This is simple. Next book is Mirror Mirror. Harry is sent to another time. Its caused at the end of the book. The Villian is
(click to show/hide)
"By human standards, if she was any flakier you could pour milk on her and call her breakfast."

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2020, 02:45:55 AM »
Morris, it might feel like a cash grab but I think it isn't likely.
Okay, and even if it is I can't say that if I was in his shoes that I might not do the same. But I want two books, not 1.5 with padding.  And I won't know until after the fact.  However, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2020, 03:26:12 AM »
I had to google PUBG. I quit playing video games after I got out of college. (Not because I think it's "kid's" stuff, but because I didn't have the time and developed other more expensive hobbies. If I won the lottery or something, I'd probably be right back in). So, no. I didn't notice.

I don't think the Titan is any combination of the Faerie Queens. Hecate was a goddess and not a Titan. Jim could change that, but I don't think so. My money is on the
(click to show/hide)

This is simple. Next book is Mirror Mirror. Harry is sent to another time. Its caused at the end of the book. The Villian is
(click to show/hide)
"The Last Titan has declared war on the city of Chicago, and has come to subjugate humanity, obliterating any who stand in her way." The blurb describing the book.

you pays your money and takes your chances.
I don't know why, but I love that saying.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2020, 04:39:22 AM »
Yeah PUBG wasn't really my thing tbh. But I am sure BG is a reference. Every title he has had in the series has at least a double meaning.

Depends on how you look at Hecate actually. Some children of the Titans, like Atlas and Pallas were still considered and even referred to themselves as Titans. But the Olympians considered themselves separate. Hecate was one who didn't really fit into normal categories. She doesn't really even fit all that well in the heart of Greek Myth, more on the fringes. As a triple goddess she was also considered to have power of earth, sea and sky and fate - and in post-christian writings was even considered to have a Savior role and connected to the World Soul. Wouldn't count her out.

(click to show/hide)

Yeah not Cronus though, it is clearly stated to be a her.

Okay, and even if it is I can't say that if I was in his shoes that I might not do the same. But I want two books, not 1.5 with padding.  And I won't know until after the fact.  However, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Indeed that is true. I agree with you though, I hate being ripped off. If it felt like just two halves of the same novel that might disappoint me a bit. Not enough to drive me from the series probably, but still. Here's hoping it is two distinct entities. Although one could argue that Cold Days and Ghost Story are part of the same thing. He said he had to do heaps of rewriting once it split in order to make it two distinct novels, so I am sure he has tried to do that. Time will tell.