Author Topic: Battle Ground??  (Read 21136 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground??
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2020, 09:29:41 PM »
@g33k: I agree, but for the sake of argument, the "last" in Last Titan might mean something other that the "last surviving" Titan. It could mean the "youngest" Titan. Or something else. Really any ordering of the Titans other than by death. I think that's a stretch, but possible.
Oh the rest is still in demonreach also known as tartarus.  She wants to free them.  :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2020, 09:50:22 PM »
Oh the rest is still in demonreach also known as tartarus.  She wants to free them.  :)

Tartarus is in the Nevernever:

The Nevernever is a big place. In fact, it’s the biggest place. The Nevernever is what the wizards call the entirety of the realm of spirit. It isn’t a physical place, with geography and weather patterns and so on. It’s a shadow world, a magical realm, and its substance is as mutable as thought. It has a lot of names, like the Other Side and the Next World, and it contains within it just about any kind of spirit realm you can imagine, somewhere. Heaven, Hell, Olympus, Elysium, Tartarus, Gehenna—you name it, and it’s in the Nevernever somewhere.

Butcher, Jim. Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, Book 4) (p. 297). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2020, 10:43:57 PM »
Tartarus is in the Nevernever:
That is what Harry thinks in book 4.  :D

Besides where do you think you get if you open a door to the nevernever from demonreach?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:49:01 PM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2020, 11:38:34 PM »
I don't know. Those stairs sure do go down a long way.  ;)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
If you opened a portal to the nevernever on Demonreach, it might open in a place like tartarus. Portals open into places that share similarities. So it could be.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2020, 08:41:52 PM »
If you opened a portal to the nevernever on Demonreach, it might open in a place like tartarus. Portals open into places that share similarities. So it could be.
Eh.

Tartarus is two-fold though, punishment and jail. Demonreach is just a storage.

That said, I'm sure noone sane has tested this theory (although the Gatekeeper came pretty close in Turn Coat).

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2020, 11:07:36 PM »
If time or reality are a toroid, inside Demonreach might be outside the Outer Gates.

That's if my WAG is correct, that the main purpose of Demonreach and the Warden is to contain the Nemesis-corrupted. So he's the counter-intelligence inside man, the cavalry for the Gatekeeper.

In which case, my other WAG- that it bleeds power deliberately from its prisoners, and that this is the true source of the ley line- might be it bleeding off the "cleaned" power.

Also, that the summoning circle exists for an ascension ritual for in extremis emergencies for the Warden.

Offline AClone

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2020, 12:08:28 AM »
Given that text indicates that Demonreach's prisoners include "Dark Gods", I'm willing to entertain the possibility that "mere" Titans could be imprisoned there.

Also, that the summoning circle exists for an ascension ritual for in extremis emergencies for the Warden.
I found myself wondering how that would work. The one ascension ritual that Harry knows involves necromancy, and absorbing the life of ghosts and other undead spirits. I'm fairly sure there aren't many dead people in the island.

Perhaps there is another ritual that only involves "spirit" power, and I'd guess that either the spirit of the island--or Alfred--would suffice. However, I'd think that sucking the power from either would be counterproductive to the Warden's responsibilities. And I'm pretty sure that Alfred would...quibble.

Then there is the fact that if the Warden were to ascend to godhood, he'd probably find himself opposed by thirty or forty beings of the same power level.  Not to mention all of the "lesser" beings.

I suspect that someone, somewhen here has calculated just how many could be imprisoned every few feet in twelve tunnels a "mile or two" long.

After all, I recall that someone did make a good estimate of just what Harry's share of the diamonds was actually worth!

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:26 AM »
The one ascension ritual that Harry knows involves necromancy
After all, I recall that someone did make a good estimate of just what Harry's share of the diamonds was actually worth!
There's the one he encountered in Welcome to the Jungle.

It's really hard to figure out how much those diamonds would be worth because we don't know the size and quality of the diamonds and the diamond market is not exactly open. The estimates can range anywhere from "never have to work again if you're careful with your money" to "rivals the wealth of the poorest nations." Those were some good discussions.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2020, 06:37:40 AM »
... we don't know the size and quality of the diamonds ...

Small enough that a stream of them seems to flow like water.

Large enough that a box of them, NOT moving, isn't mistaken for any other small crystals.

Is that helpful?

And absolutely top quality, because Hades.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2020, 07:42:20 AM »
Given that text indicates that Demonreach's prisoners include "Dark Gods", I'm willing to entertain the possibility that "mere" Titans could be imprisoned there.
I found myself wondering how that would work. The one ascension ritual that Harry knows involves necromancy, and absorbing the life of ghosts and other undead spirits. I'm fairly sure there aren't many dead people in the island.

Perhaps there is another ritual that only involves "spirit" power, and I'd guess that either the spirit of the island--or Alfred--would suffice. However, I'd think that sucking the power from either would be counterproductive to the Warden's responsibilities. And I'm pretty sure that Alfred would...quibble.

Then there is the fact that if the Warden were to ascend to godhood, he'd probably find himself opposed by thirty or forty beings of the same power level.  Not to mention all of the "lesser" beings.

I suspect that someone, somewhen here has calculated just how many could be imprisoned every few feet in twelve tunnels a "mile or two" long.

Or it uses the crystal to suck the power right out of the prisoners?

That'd turn the user a lot darker, but also very powerful and yet safe.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2020, 11:45:52 PM »
Small enough that a stream of them seems to flow like water.

Large enough that a box of them, NOT moving, isn't mistaken for any other small crystals.

Is that helpful?

And absolutely top quality, because Hades.
As to the first part, I have no idea if that is helpful. I agree with the second part. With some of the higher calculations I saw, Harry's share was probably enough to crash the global market, what with diamond prices being high only because of the diamond cartel and what's probably the most successful marketing campaign in history. But with what the Church Mouse, whose name I can't remember, said, I can't imagine they are worth that much. I.e., not enough to noticeably effect the 82 billion dollar industry.

With what Nicodemus said about the $20 million, I imagine one of the boxes was probably worth at least 10 million.