Author Topic: Battle Ground??  (Read 21178 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground??
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2020, 03:24:20 AM »
And she didn’t fare so well the last time a Starborn was running around.
The question is who "she" is. I always took it to mean the Winter Lady preceding Maeve, but the most recent female named was Mab.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »
Amazon is telling me $18.31 for the Peace Talks hardback. So that's about $10 for getting it soonest and in mint condition (unless your delivery guy throws it over your gate, RobReece).
I went ahead and pre-ordered Peace Talks for $16.31. I figured $8.00 is worth getting it immediately. Also Amazon guarantees the lowest price from here to through the release date.
If the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price, either through a price adjustment in your unshipped order, or through a refund within 24-72 hours following the release date.
Has anyone ever dealt with that before? Is it reliable?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2020, 08:42:23 PM »
Yes.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2020, 08:46:37 PM »
Thanks. I've never pre-ordered pretty much anything before.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2020, 10:59:05 PM »
Gonna be all noble, and NOT buy through Amazon.

I just love bookstores, and want to support my local ones.   ;D

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2020, 11:19:10 PM »
I no longer collect physical books.  If for some reason I need them, will buy them in a used bookstore I like.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2020, 02:06:05 AM »
I no longer collect physical books.  If for some reason I need them, will buy them in a used bookstore I like.

I am still awaiting an e-reader that I can enjoy using (even close to) as much as I enjoy handling a book.   :-(

I would like to move to e-copies of books.  I'm a long-term geek!

I'm also hoping to move (in a few years) to a mobile lifestyle.  The "books" issue looms as a major downgrade.  :-P

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2020, 03:13:55 AM »
Once upon a time I loved paper, but it's just that more luggage. I prefer Calibre but it means cracking copy protection and it just isn't worth the time. Kindle gives me the device, my phone and my computer.  I don't have to worry about backups, so all in all, it works.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2020, 03:26:55 AM »
I prefer FB Reader, but it involves using Calibre and cracking copy protection, so same problem. I have no idea if it's available on apple platforms.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2020, 03:29:00 AM »
I used to like paper too, but room for bookshelves is scarce. Also, with books published in foreign countries, the shipping is really expensive, so most of my books in English are in kindle. It has another advantage for me that only became apparent when I stopped being young. I can change the font size  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2020, 03:31:17 AM »
My local library had large print editions of most of the DF. That was nice.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
As convenient as e-books are, I just love holding a physical copy and smelling that new book smell. That said, I might just give in and do pre-orders.
Oh, what if after Harry beats the female titan, then Chronos sends Harry back in time as vengeance(?) and that kickstarts Mirror Mirror.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2020, 05:56:59 PM »
... Oh, what if after Harry beats the female titan, then Chronos sends Harry back in time as vengeance(?) and that kickstarts Mirror Mirror.

Blurb says she is the last Titan, which would rule out Chronos.

Blurb could be wrong, of course.

But Mirror Mirror is supposed to be a parallel-universe story, not a time-travel one.  Unless Jim's been actively deceiving us for YEARS now, it has a different premise -- we know a fair bit about it, by now.

I expect we'll get to a time-travel story, eventually (but it's not Mirror Mirror).

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »
@g33k: I agree, but for the sake of argument, the "last" in Last Titan might mean something other that the "last surviving" Titan. It could mean the "youngest" Titan. Or something else. Really any ordering of the Titans other than by death. I think that's a stretch, but possible.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2020, 09:00:12 PM »
@g33k: Oh right, lol, derp.