Author Topic: The Fomor  (Read 2144 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The Fomor
« on: April 15, 2020, 06:47:30 AM »
So, the Fomor seem to have a feudal-ish power structure (partly with a "Celtic" twist, i.e. "Cantrev Lords").   Many of the Old-World beings do the "Feudal" thing!

They have a "King Corb" we haven't(?) yet seen on-screen.  Above a "King" there is also an "Empress".

And the "Last Titan" is a "she" -- and she's coming with an army.

Is it too much of a reach to suggest these pieces fall nicely into place?

Is it too paranoid to say... Maybe too nicely?

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Fomor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »

First Generation:
Phoebe-moon goddess possibly predates Selene. Not much is known about her. Gave birth to the Oracle of Delphi. Seer powers, gave them to Apollo.

Mnemosyne- Goddesss of memory. Had nine children-the Muses-with Zeus. Kings and poets receive their oratorical abilities from her and her daughters.

Rhea- Mother of the Gods Not too much is known about her.

Tethys-Wife of Oceanus and a sea goddess,well known for having a lot of children, over 6,000.

Theia- Just means goddess. Gave eyesight to mankind. Wife of Hyperion. Mother of Helios. Has light based powers?

Themis-Zeus's 2nd wife and daughter of Uranus and Gaia. Goddess of devine law, order, and custom. Represented traditions and customs that had been passed down to the gods. Had the power of prophecy, which she passed to Phoebe. Role of divine justice which she passed onto Nemesis. She was so respected that even Hera called her Lady Themis. Mother of Prometheus in some myths.

Second Generation:
Asteria- Goddess of nocturnal oracles and falling stars. Fled to the sea to escape Zeus. Her island was the only refuge Leo had when fleeing Hera

Asia- Daughter of Oceanus and Tethys, wife of Iapetus. Also credited with being the mother of Prometheus. Mother of Atlas.

Eos/Aurora-Goddess of the dawn. A love goddess before Aphrodite took her role, even cursed by Aphrodite to have unquenchable lust. A possible role of a dawn goddess was to instill the aging process in people. 

Leto- Goddess most famous for giving birth to Apollo and Artemis.

Metis- Daughter of Oceanus and Tethys and a goddess of wisdom. God swallowed by Zeus b/c her feared the prophecy that stated that she would have powerful children. She was pregnant w/ Athena when he ate her, which is why Athena had burst out of his head. She lived inside Zeus's head and gave him inspiration.

Selene/Luna- Goddess of the moon, and the moon itself. Apparently she fought against Typhon, which is why the moon has craters.

Styx- She was the first to side with Zeus in overthrowing the titans, so for this her name become a binding oath for gods.

From Wikipedia: Fer Corb ("chariot man"), son of Mug Corb, was, according to medieval Irish legend and historical tradition, a High King of Ireland. He came to power after killing his predecessor, and his father's killer, Irereo, in Ulster. He ruled for eleven years, until he was killed by Irereo's son Connla Cáem. The Lebor Gabála Érenn synchronises his reign with that of Ptolemy IV Philopator of Egypt (221–205 BC).[1] The chronology of Geoffrey Keating's Foras Feasa ar Éirinn dates his reign to 330–319 BC,[2] the Annals of the Four Masters to 474–463 BC.[3]

Cob is also a Fomorian king in Celtic legend, but I couldn't find much on him. I posit that the Titan and the Empress are the same character for the sake of convenience.  I think the options for titan ladies are thus: Tethys, Asia, Possibly Asteria. I kinda like the idea of Selene, if only b/c of the moon craters coming from a battle. I mean the Fomor do have people from a bunch of different pantheons. Plus, the Norse jotun have been likened to the Fomor as well, so who knows, maybe the titan's army is gonna be full of jotnar?

I also found it interesting that the Fomor are the apparently the enemies of Ireland's first settlers, which to me, makes me think that from the prospective of the settlers, the Formor are the baddies. Which is something that settlers do to the (supposedly in this case) indigenous people when they try to drive them off. Yet Wikipedia tells me that the Fomor had a more complex relationship with the  Tuatha De Danann, which, I believe would also be the Sidhe, to the point of intermarrying. So that could also be true for Dresden Files, as some of the fae could have Fomorian ancestors.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 05:39:26 PM »
From Ghost Story:

“I like steel better than fiberglass,” he said. “The Fomor and the faeries are apparently related. Neither one of them likes the touch of any metal with iron in it.”

“Lot of interbreeding there,” Bob said. “Back in the old, old, old days. Before the Sidhe Wars.”

“the Fomor have a lot of faerie blood in their makeup. I like having Detroit steel around me when I drive.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 11:54:47 PM »
I posit that the Titan and the Empress are the same character for the sake of convenience.
the  Tuatha De Danann, which, I believe would also be the Sidhe, to the point of intermarrying. So that could also be true for Dresden Files, as some of the fae could have Fomorian ancestors.
I agree with the first point. My understanding of the Sidhe is that they are, or at least were, the same group as the Tuatha De Danann.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 04:23:08 AM »
I agree with the first point. My understanding of the Sidhe is that they are, or at least were, the same group as the Tuatha De Danann.

It's heavily implied this is the case, but not outright stated. Probably because that ties into the whole concept around deities that Jim isn't ready to go into.

It's highly likely that the Empress is the Last Titan. I found it interesting Jim called her the Last Titan for a number or reasons. Technically, the females are referred to as Titaness (Titanis/Titanides). So using the word Titan is an interesting choice. Yes it can be broad enough to refer to both...but normally that is when grouping them (such as calling the whole "race" Titans.

As to her identity:
ASTERIA: Leapt into the sea to escape Zeus, sometimes considered the mother of Hecate. A likely choice.

PHOEBE (also potentially Selene/Luna): Oldest goddess/titaness of the moon, sometimes the Moon. In some stories recieved the gift of prophecy from Lady Themis, and the one who started the Oracle at Delphi (maybe she began the Archive) perhaps considering the hint the Archive will have a large role in the next book or two is another hint.

LADY THEMIS: Titaness of Divine Law and Justice, roles she partially passed onto Zeus. Also may have passed on her gift of prophecy to Phoebe. Also potentially the start of the Oracle at Delphi. Mother of the Fates and Seasons by Zeus. Also a highly likely candidate for this reason.

TETHYS: Considered the great nurse ("tethis") of life. Titaness of fresh water and streams. Wife of Oceanus. A possible candidate as Fomor are of the water, however I think this is misdirection.

STYX: The titaness of oaths and the deadly, netherworld River Styx.

GAIA: Technically a Protegenoi, but possible.

Just FYI - 123Chikadee, Theia is the Titaness of Splendour, and in some cases considered a Sun Goddess. Rhea is often a Titaness of motherhood, fertility and sometimes nature/earthly elements.

If the Fomor have an Empress, I supect there is more than one King. It is common in Celtic mythology to have a "High-King" which I suspect the Empress fills that role. An Empress implies an Empire, which would be made of many fiefdoms, perhaps ruled by other Kings. The Cantrev Lords such as Omogh probably all beneath the various Kings and Queens.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:34:39 AM by Yuillegan »