Author Topic: Some curious things in Summer Knight  (Read 9195 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Some curious things in Summer Knight
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:52:10 AM »
1. Maeve moved to Undertown around the same time Harry initiates the Vampire War in Grave Peril. The implication, if subtly, is that this is part of the general weirdness surrounding those events. Aurora moves into Chicago at the same time, on top of the Rothschild hotel. But what if it was AURORA who moved first? That would make more sense, given her involvement in upsetting the natural order and infection by Nemesis. At that stage Maeve was uninfected.

2. Also, is it not extremely odd that the current Summer Knight has been living in Chicago for a number of years? He could have lived anywhere yet he is living in Chicago. What's so special about Chicago?

3. Aurora actually calls Harry a destroyer in their very first meeting. This is no accident I realise, but a deliberate bit of world building done by Jim. A buried clue. He doesn't smash it in our faces by capitalising it, but I suspect by alerting us fans in the Morgan microfiction he intends to expand on this concept in Peace Talks. And she connects it to Lea. Are we so sure Lea is really a good guy? What's her play in all this..

4. Aurora says that the Knights carry power that has a weight only a free mortal will can possess. She also relates it to influence. Harry has always thought of the power as how close it makes him to being the Hulk, how much more juice he gets. But I wonder if the real power the Knights have is how they carry the idea they represent, and affect reality with it. What I mean is that Harry being the Winter Knight makes the idea that Winter represents stronger in the real world, therefore Winter gains greater strength overall and it's aims are closer to being realised. I know it is a bit complex, but I think it falls between the ideas of Warhammer and Mouse's abilities in Zoo Day. The ability of the Knights to affect their reality and make it more suited to their Court is there real strength. Both Winter and Summer have plenty of heavy hitters. Why have the Knight? Because of the effect on the Mortal world, making them stronger both in the Mortal World and the Nevernever.

Now of course Jim hadn't fully fleshed out his World Building at this stage, so some stuff has changed and some retconned (like how weak the Ladies were originally, as opposed to in Cold Days or how Mab and Titania got nerfed a bit since Summer Knight). But I think in general these are still relevant points for now.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:57:48 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Some curious things in Summer Knight
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 07:09:12 AM »
Well we know what's special about Chicago - Harry lives there ;)

Good observations overall, but I think based on SF/CD/SG especially, you're underselling just how important an agent with Free Will is for the Courts. In essence the Courts are finely balanced to a T, and the Knights can do whatever they like and tilt those balances. Plus, they're the actor who can truly bring in outside power and add it to the Courts (all the other Fae have to strike bargains which obviously bring in a trickle of benefits).

Maybe that was a bit unclear, so put another way: the Knight is the normal go-to for the Courts to prevent crazy things like the Archive being usurped by apocalyptic maniacs. The Emissary business allows the Court a little extra leeway, but overall, the Knight's there to prevent reality falling apart behind the Fae, as the Fae battle to keep it from falling apart from Outside.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 03:06:20 AM »
Well, apart from Harry living there and it being the centre of Jim's location. Although honestly Jim could really afford to set the story outside once in a while. It isn't that hard. Certainly for flavor, if not for credibility.

I agree with your analysis, but I think there are things beyond the Knights ability to tip the balance slightly. They are given a frikken mantle for heaven's sake! I think that says a hell of a lot. If it was JUST mortal will, why not just have the emissaries? They are useful enough in that regard. I think there are deeper and more meaningful purposes to the Knights, something to do with he differing duties to the respective Queens.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 05:02:48 AM »
[1]What's so special about Chicago?

[2]Are we so sure Lea is really a good guy? [3]What's her play in all this.

[4]Aurora says that the Knights carry power that has a weight only a free mortal will can possess. ...
[1]It's a crossroads. I think it's explained in Small Favor as they talk about the ley lines. It draws in the supernatural. It might be the reason that Harry is in Chicago in the first place. He may have been drawn there.

[2]I'm pretty sure Lea is a bad guy who benefits from her dealings with Margaret LeFay/Harry. [3]Power. (Which gets shackled with a purpose, but that's a cost of her goal).

[4]What Avernite said. While the Knight has less power than any of the Queens, the Knight has the ability to use that power in ways the that the Queens, or any other fairy, can't by virtue of being a mortal. It's power + choice. The Queens have the power and the Knight has the choice.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 02:35:10 PM »
It the location of Chicago over Chicago.  And the home of the Stone Table.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
It the location of Chicago over Chicago.  And the home of the Stone Table.

It only exists (existed) because the Queens made it.

I'm pretty sure the Queens could make London over London, or Krakow over Krakow, or wherever has major Ley-lines... maybe 20 or so places worldwide?  (n.b. the specific towns I mention, and number of places, are my own guesses, wholly pulled out of thin air).

Wherever they make their killing-ground, that's where the Stone Table comes; it suited them to make it over Chicago on that occasion.  On other occasions, it might be other places.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 03:07:20 AM »
More -

Lea is infected and has the knife, and says she cannot speak a lie. Going through her interaction with Dresden, the only things of note she says is that he should never let Mab bring him to the Stone Table, and how the Table functions. But something that slips under the radar is that she says outright that she always had his best interests at heart, and leads him to believe the person who pays/paid the price of her help is Harry's mother. However what if she didn't need to exchange a price, and could help for free because Nemesis had freed her from that normal obligation restriction that all Fae have? Can anyone see anything else that she told as truth that if it were a lie, might change a whole lot?

Elaine. She is very shifty because of her betrayal, but she really sounds like Kumori in this book. Also she is implied (Harry outright states it in thought at the end) to be the summoner of the illegal Mind Fog. She tells Harry he can and should walk away, they can't stop the end of the world. She is hardly a motivated Emmisary. Also she uses fire supposedly in this book (which we never see her use again...). She also uses a bit of memory magic (like in her rings). This feels like foreshadowing for memory tricks in Harry's head. There are also several odd references to Egypt in combination with her. She uses Old Egyptian as her words of choice, and is described as using poses like "an old Egyptian sarcophagus" when channeling power. And the mysterious Black Council/Circle do seem to have some strange unexplained connection to Cairo.

Odin/Vadderung. Munnin (or Hugin) makes a cameo at the Mother's cottage. Also Norse and Egyptian Runes (and likely Greek and Roman alphabet, and a few others) are on the Stone Table. There are also several referances to Menhir-type standing stones and Stonehenge. Curiously, it is Winter's symbol carved on the front door, not Summer's. Not sure why that is. Also not sure why Lloyd Slate has the symbol burned into him and Harry doesn't (only his Id seems to wear it).

Mother Winter says "Can you feel it?" to Mother Summer. What she is talking about is not made clear. What can they feel? I think it is Harry's starborn nature, and perhaps his Destroyer nature too. Curiously, Mother Winter identifies herself as the destroyer, the unmaker. Just before giving Harry the Unraveling.

Also they let slip something well known yet I suspect is foreshadowing as well - Dragons hoard power. Perhaps that is an essential part of their job...keeping power until it is needed. Rather like Hades and the Christ Objects.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 03:18:08 AM »
Yeah Chicago-over-Chicago is only called that because of where they made it. They could have used any location. The Stone Table is in Tir Na North, according to Jim.

BA - Just because it is a crossroads doesn't explain why more than half the supernatural world and major events happen there. There is surely more than one crossroads too in any case. Chicago isn't even the biggest shipping or trade city, let alone the biggest major world crossroad. Chicago is fantastic, sure. But none of that explains why everything happens there. It's probably the New York phenomenon (i.e. how every movie and comic etc seem to have major world events happen there). I'd just love a better narrative reason myself.

Lea does benefit from her dealings with Margaret, but I think she has more going on. I think Lea is the purloined letter myself. Hiding in plain sight. I think Lea will have quite a lot to do with how the series wraps up.

I get your point about the Knights. I also think that Jim has changed a few rules since Summer Knight as well, which affect how powerful things are. But mostly, I think that Knights have extra special power beyond the Free Will they carry. They exist to fill a highly specific role, and in that role they are undeniable. Stronger in than the Mothers, in a sense. Just as the Mothers have incredible amounts of Power constrained by tight and complex limits, the Knights have just a little Power but essentially unlimited freedom with which to employ it. But I think that was no accident, I think the Knight were created to create a specific weapon far stronger than anything the Fae could do otherwise. Something stronger than the sum of its parts.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 06:24:14 PM »
1. Maeve moved to Undertown around the same time Harry initiates the Vampire War in Grave Peril. The implication, if subtly, is that this is part of the general weirdness surrounding those events. Aurora moves into Chicago at the same time, on top of the Rothschild hotel. But what if it was AURORA who moved first? That would make more sense, given her involvement in upsetting the natural order and infection by Nemesis. At that stage Maeve was uninfected.
I think the most logical order of infection was Knife => Lea => Maeve => Aurora. I think Maeve was already infected in summer knight.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »
I think the most logical order of infection was Knife => Lea => Maeve => Aurora. I think Maeve was already infected in summer knight.

Her and Aurora both,  with it being more apparent in Aurora than Maeve.  I still think it is possible that Aurora was infected by Elaine, who could be a carrier.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 06:50:03 PM »
Yeah Chicago-over-Chicago is only called that because of where they made it. They could have used any location. The Stone Table is in Tir Na North, according to Jim.

BA - Just because it is a crossroads doesn't explain why more than half the supernatural world and major events happen there. There is surely more than one crossroads too in any case. Chicago isn't even the biggest shipping or trade city, let alone the biggest major world crossroad. Chicago is fantastic, sure. But none of that explains why everything happens there. It's probably the New York phenomenon (i.e. how every movie and comic etc seem to have major world events happen there). I'd just love a better narrative reason myself.
Well, Harry really is the reason. The Vampire War starts there, the duel with Ortega happens there, because Harry.

Okay, a slight addendum is that WC headquarters is there, giving us White Night & Thomas. Which might just explain Harry - maybe the curse on Lord Raith drew Harry and Thomas (very) subtly together, and since Raith was in Chicago, so was Harry.

Even Chicago-over-Chicago revolves around Harry - Mab picks him as Emissary, Maeve and Aurora flutter around him (though they may just have been drawn to Ground Zero of the supernatural war).

And because all this stuff happens in Chicago, Uriel/Michael/Raphael/Gabriel respond-in-advance and plant a Knight in Chicago. Which ensures Nicodemus and his buddies are drawn in.

This only leaves the Dead Beat events unexplained, could've been anywhere with old burial grounds (Rome and Paris spring to mind, as do dead cities in Mesopotamia that are still close enough to the living), but I can give that a pass.

I get your point about the Knights. I also think that Jim has changed a few rules since Summer Knight as well, which affect how powerful things are. But mostly, I think that Knights have extra special power beyond the Free Will they carry. They exist to fill a highly specific role, and in that role they are undeniable. Stronger in than the Mothers, in a sense. Just as the Mothers have incredible amounts of Power constrained by tight and complex limits, the Knights have just a little Power but essentially unlimited freedom with which to employ it. But I think that was no accident, I think the Knight were created to create a specific weapon far stronger than anything the Fae could do otherwise. Something stronger than the sum of its parts.
Hence my reference to Skin Game. Even Uriel needs his power in the hands of Free Will to achieve things.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 01:12:23 AM »
... what if she didn't need to exchange a price, and could help for free because Nemesis had freed her from that normal obligation restriction that all Fae have? ...

Mab explicitly states that "it was the knife."  So unless SHE was Nemfected (and thus could lie) we can safely assume that was the vector into Winter (Lea & Maeve).

Summer/Aurora looks likely to be Elaine, still.  She may not even have been knowing/willing; or maybe Mortal Free Will was still allowing her to fight off the Nimfluence and work with Harry against Aurora...?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 02:35:31 AM »
It is not the flu, otherwise everyone would have it and the gates would be broken. Lea used the power of the knife and cat Sith was probably overpowered.

Lea had access to Maeve as confirmed in summer knight. The link between her and Aurora could have been the winter knight but I think Maeve simply did set up a meeting with Aurora and ambushed her. Seducing the winter knight came after that.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 03:20:16 AM »
The WC headquarters wasn't in Chicago. Lara was surprised Papa Raith was there when he showed up in Blood Rites. All of them who weren't in Chicago were there because Arturo Genosa was there.

Dead Beat happened there because they were all looking for the book, which was in Chicago. They were expecting to find it and were preparing the way there.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 08:13:28 AM »

Can't be true unless Mab lied or was mistaken, both of which are highly unlikely. She explicitly says it was the knife that was the vector of infection to Lea, implying Lea infected Maeve. Maeve was unlikely to have been infected in Summer Knight as she actually helps Harry get to Aurora and stop her, and is not working with Aurora. If they did (like Maeve and Lily in Cold Days) they really could have upset everything, and been a much more difficult issue. Also why would Lea infect Maeve and have her infect Aurora? Maeve could have played Aurora's role in Summer Knight just as easily but in reverse (in fact she would have relished killing Slate). Occam's razor - she wasn't infected yet.

Mira is probably right though that Elaine is the likely source, unless there is another unknown infected/infector. And you'll probably notice that whenever Elaine shows up, Black Council and Outsiders make an appearance (and Nemesis seems to as well, although there is a good argument to say Nemesis is in every book).

Well, Harry really is the reason. The Vampire War starts there, the duel with Ortega happens there, because Harry.

Okay, a slight addendum is that WC headquarters is there, giving us White Night & Thomas. Which might just explain Harry - maybe the curse on Lord Raith drew Harry and Thomas (very) subtly together, and since Raith was in Chicago, so was Harry.

Even Chicago-over-Chicago revolves around Harry - Mab picks him as Emissary, Maeve and Aurora flutter around him (though they may just have been drawn to Ground Zero of the supernatural war).

And because all this stuff happens in Chicago, Uriel/Michael/Raphael/Gabriel respond-in-advance and plant a Knight in Chicago. Which ensures Nicodemus and his buddies are drawn in.

This only leaves the Dead Beat events unexplained, could've been anywhere with old burial grounds (Rome and Paris spring to mind, as do dead cities in Mesopotamia that are still close enough to the living), but I can give that a pass.

Hence my reference to Skin Game. Even Uriel needs his power in the hands of Free Will to achieve things.

Okay but let's list all the things central to the series or the world that also are in/near Chicago:
- Knight of the Cross (Michael, then Karrin and later Butters. Susan too technically.)
- Demonreach (Prison full of world ending dark gods and monster, possibly and indeed likely Outsiders and Old Ones)
- Major White Court stronghold (previously not the heart, but with Lara in charge it effectively is)
- Previously powerful Red Court noble
- Major location for a number pivotal (sometimes world-saving) conflicts attended by seriously impressive groups and individuals including but not limited to: The White Council, The Heirs of Kemmler, Summer and Winter War, Regular presence of Faerie Queens and Nobles, The Knights of the Cross, The Order of the Blackened Denarius, the White Court, a strong individuals from the Red and the Black Courts, Outsiders, Archangels, Regular Angels, Gods, Demigods, Fomor, the Archive, a Dragon etc)
- Former home of BOTH immediately previous and CURRENT Summer and Winter Knights
- Current Winter Lady, former Summer Ladies and Winter Lady
- America's most powerful criminal (arguably)
- probably more but you get the idea

My problem is why it's pretty much always there.

And as for the power of the Fae Knights...I think that it comes down to the Mantle + Person = Knight. Same with the KotC (Sword + Person = Knight). The Knights are powerful because of the combination, but the person on their own is less so (sometimes MUCH less so) and the Swords or Mantles are effectively useless without an Agent to wield them respectively. 

Mab explicitly states that "it was the knife."  So unless SHE was Nemfected (and thus could lie) we can safely assume that was the vector into Winter (Lea & Maeve).

Summer/Aurora looks likely to be Elaine, still.  She may not even have been knowing/willing; or maybe Mortal Free Will was still allowing her to fight off the Nimfluence and work with Harry against Aurora...?

Not sure what you're arguing here. I don't disagree it was the Knife that infected Lea, and then Maeve by proxy eventually. But Lea had the Knife in Summer Knight, and was likely nemfected in this book. My point was that being nemfected allowed her to lie to Dresden (if she felt like it, we have this evidence from Cold Days) and therefore could have lied/misled Dresden on who paid the price for her help to see the Queens (i.e. not his Mother, but not price was paid at all - which is normally impossible for the Fae). And I agree Elaine is the likely infection point for Aurora, as I said above. Not convinced that Free Will trumps Nemesis, or that Elaine is actually infected necessarily. She could be enthralled to her master and given Elaine a tainted gift, like Lea received. She also may have saved Dresden for another purpose that aligns better with Nemesis' plans (like the fact he is a Destroyer).

It is not the flu, otherwise everyone would have it and the gates would be broken. Lea used the power of the knife and cat Sith was probably overpowered.

Lea had access to Maeve as confirmed in summer knight. The link between her and Aurora could have been the winter knight but I think Maeve simply did set up a meeting with Aurora and ambushed her. Seducing the winter knight came after that.

Arjan, no idea what you mean here. I am not sure who is arguing that Nemesis is like a highly infectious disease, but I am not. I have always maintained it has limits and chooses it's targets. When you say Lea used the power of the knife...what exactly do you mean? The Knife adds to her power, and as we have no idea how transmission occurs it is almost impossible to speculate on how the Knife actually passed it on to her. She may only have to touch it (like a Denarius) for it to be able to infect her. Cat Sith quite likely was overpowered, although again we have no idea how they actually managed to infect him (or who did it).

I completely disagree, as outlined above in my response to you earlier in this post. It's is too inefficient and complicated to have her infect Maeve just to infect Aurora. She could just infect Aurora herself. And if she couldn't meet with Aurora, infect one of her lesser retinue and have them pass it on. Why use the Winter Lady for such a task? You are also assuming that 1) Maeve could actually have gotten the better of Aurora and beaten her (unlikely considering Maeve was essentially a slave to the mantle she wore, and as Harry outlined that tends to give Summer and advantage as they are the perfect counter to Winter) and 2) that Aurora would have met with her polar opposite and enemy. Why would she even do it? The more you examine the situation you describe, the more complex it becomes. The simplest explanation is that Lea infected Aurora in Summer Knight, and infected Maeve later off-screen.

BA - Exactly. WC initial headquarters were originally not in Chicago, but effectively is now. Likely they have multiple bases all over the world. I always though LA or NY made more sense tbh.

But that's another weird thing. Why on earth was the last Die Lied Der Erlking in Chicago??! Surely there would have been more in Europe or other such places? I get the reason was so that Harry could be involved, but what if it had been London or Prague? Would Cowl have become a new god then? Would the book have been destroyed? Would anyone have noticed until it was too late and the White Council had been wiped out?