Author Topic: Kincaid microfiction "Goodbye"  (Read 67578 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Kincaid microfiction "Goodbye"
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2020, 09:28:00 PM »
Because she was already asking questions about it meaning she was already messing with something that could get her killed. "Hey, stop messing with that! It's dangerous," is something.
Then at least tell her what can get her killed. Tell her about the laws of magic and why to take them seriously.

Wardens do it at least sometimes so it is not absolutely forbidden to do so.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2020, 11:29:38 PM »
Then at least tell her what can get her killed.
He did.

Tell her about the laws of magic and why to take them seriously.

Wardens do it at least sometimes so it is not absolutely forbidden to do so.
I chalk Harry not doing that up to EIW like g33k said. I just think it's largely justifiable EIW.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2020, 12:08:37 AM »
Sorry, what is EIW?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2020, 12:11:53 AM »
Sorry, what is EIW?
I had to look it up. Something like early installment weirdness. or something to that effect.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2020, 12:14:59 AM »
I had to look it up. Something like early installment weirdness. or something to that effect.

Yeah, it's a TV Tropes thing. 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2020, 12:19:48 AM »
Ah, meaning...Jim was still making the rules and the world?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2020, 12:26:51 AM »
Ah, meaning...Jim was still making the rules and the world?

Basically, yeah.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2020, 12:39:09 AM »
Or that he changed them later on. EIW is kind of like the opposite of retconning (retroactive continuity). Retconning is usually done very sloppily. Jim's pretty excellent at it. A lot of times EIW is basically creators trying to find their stride early in a series.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2020, 01:09:19 AM »
Like the weird uniforms and Troi's telepathy in "Encounter at Far Point"?
Missing you, Md 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2020, 01:53:38 AM »

So, there's TWO things that could have gotten Kim killed...
  • Trying to bind a sufficiently-dangerous creature in the circle (a circle she's neither competent-enough to create nor strong-enough to empower) and failing.
  • The Wardens finding out she's messing with Outsider/Demon/Elderthing caliber circles, and snicker-snak'ing her.
Harry DID warn her off of #1... not explicitly saying WHAT she'd found, but that it was dangerous, and beyond her; arguably, he could/should have said "something strong enough to need this circle is too strong for you to contain it, and it will just break the circle and kill you," but he didn't say that.

It seems he left #2 un-touched, which I put down to EIW (but as noted upthread, could also be how horrible Harry found it, to deal with the WC/Wardens/DamoDoom schtick; a blind spot by virtue of his own trauma, crossed with a severe version of "keep them ignorant for their own good" that Harry does for the first 10ish novels).

Looking upthread, fwiw, I think some folks are talking at cross purposes regarding those two points.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2020, 02:29:11 AM »
Two is moot since she would have had to have succeeded for it to be an issue.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2020, 03:22:54 AM »
Like the weird uniforms and Troi's telepathy in "Encounter at Far Point"?
Great examples. Season One of TNG is basically figuring out how to not to be TOS. It's kind of hard for me to watch.

he could/should have said "something strong enough to need this circle is too strong for you to contain it, and it will just break the circle and kill you," but he didn't say that.
Didn't he? He says she can't do the circle. He says if she could and she messed it up, she "could get a lot of people hurt."

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2020, 05:14:10 AM »
Say I have a lot of knowledge I am doing mysterious and secretive about and clearly gives me status and power and potentially wealth. Knowledge you need to save and protect people.

Then I say you you can’t have it because it is dangerous. Does that always work with people?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:39:16 AM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 29, 2020, 05:19:15 AM »
Great examples. Season One of TNG is basically figuring out how to not to be TOS. It's kind of hard for me to watch.
Even when you are right, I still like many of those first season episodes. Besides, they are the only ones with Tasha.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 29, 2020, 08:53:30 AM »
Say I have a lot of knowledge I am doing mysterious and secretive about and clearly gives me status and power and potentially wealth. Knowledge you need.

Then I say you you can’t have it because it is dangerous. Does that always work with people?
I'll have to reread the section and think on that. I don't think I agree, but this is a new idea.