Author Topic: How to break the Lady's Mantles.  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
How to break the Lady's Mantles.
« on: February 26, 2020, 12:42:05 PM »
Sex with the Winter/Summer Knight of there respective courts. Mab says what the Mantle will do to defend itself. Winter Knight is part of the Winter Mantle as extensively talked about in Cold Days. Mantle can't defend against itself, would probably indulge in it.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How to break the Lady's Mantles.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:36:28 PM »
Given how hard Maeve tried to create that situation, it doesn't seem impossible for sure.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
I think about Black Widow spiders.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 01:01:22 AM »
Also, take the whole "can't defend against itself" thing with a grain of salt.  We don't have any specific reason to think Maeve was lying, but she could, and thus we can't assume she was being truthful.  Maybe she wanted Harry to try and fail to make Mab have to kill him in defense of something.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 12:12:59 AM »
There's other ways to destroy those Mantles:

1) Ritual sacrifice of the Lady on an altar of power.

2) Devouring the Mantle's power by a non-female.

3) Transforming the Lady into a male.

4) Killing of the Lady where there is no available vessel for the Mantle.

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:46:04 AM »
Harry's thaumaturgy skills. He has winter, so.....

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:40 PM »
Also, take the whole "can't defend against itself" thing with a grain of salt.  We don't have any specific reason to think Maeve was lying, but she could, and thus we can't assume she was being truthful.  Maybe she wanted Harry to try and fail to make Mab have to kill him in defense of something.
As long as I have no specific reason to think Maeve was not lying I assume she was.  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 08:49:36 AM »
Getting Mab to break her word, which I am sure at some point Harry will do to kick off the Apocalyse.

You know it will be Harry’s fault.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 06:17:18 PM »
Hm, that's interesting. Getting Mab to break her word would break a mantle on someone? Would that only work on the knights? Or would that include the ladies too?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »
I'm not even sure Mab is able to break her word.

I mean, Molly wasn't able to do things counter to her mantle's desires, even when her mind wanted to.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 07:48:56 AM »

She may have suspected Harry had been given orders to kill her; whatever his reason for being in Chicago, she wanted to thwart it.

Mab had finally gotten an active Knight on the field again...  just as Maeve's plans were about to bear fruit, and unlock the Demonreach prison.  Of course Maeve wanted Harry stymied!!!

What better way than to dangle the "Mab may be mad" bait in front of Harry's nose?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
She may have suspected Harry had been given orders to kill her; whatever his reason for being in Chicago, she wanted to thwart it.

Mab had finally gotten an active Knight on the field again...  just as Maeve's plans were about to bear fruit, and unlock the Demonreach prison.  Of course Maeve wanted Harry stymied!!!

What better way than to dangle the "Mab may be mad" bait in front of Harry's nose?
Maeve was playing that card since proven guilty.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:45 PM »
Sex with the Winter/Summer Knight of there respective courts. Mab says what the Mantle will do to defend itself. Winter Knight is part of the Winter Mantle as extensively talked about in Cold Days. Mantle can't defend against itself, would probably indulge in it.

Disagree. I rather think Slate's hatred of Maeve is that she used sex to entice him, and when he cornered her on "delivery", the Mantle did its thing.

I also suspect that this is the purpose and point of the Lady *needing* a handmaiden. Dollars to doughnuts, Jenny Greenteeth, shapeshifter, "pinch hit" for Maeve when necessary and available. Tradeoff? Having a secret on the Lady.

So sometimes she gives him what he wants, sometimes she gives him a Ramirez, and his hatred of Maeve makes total sense.

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Harry's thaumaturgy skills. He has winter, so.....

Forget about Winter.

Pat, Vanna, I'd like to solve:
(click to show/hide)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 10:18:13 PM »
Disagree. I rather think Slate's hatred of Maeve is that she used sex to entice him, and when he cornered her on "delivery", the Mantle did its thing.

I also suspect that this is the purpose and point of the Lady *needing* a handmaiden. Dollars to doughnuts, Jenny Greenteeth, shapeshifter, "pinch hit" for Maeve when necessary and available. Tradeoff? Having a secret on the Lady.

So sometimes she gives him what he wants, sometimes she gives him a Ramirez, and his hatred of Maeve makes total sense.

Once Nemfected, Maeve could most-likely have had sex; it's the kind of violates-their-nature thing that Nemfection seems good at.   :-X

I've got a WAG that "you can boink!" was a key bargaining point for Maeve to join Team O.   :-*

But then... any faerie of EITHER court who knew Maeve could have sex would have automatically known that Something Was Very Wrong.   :-\

So an extra side-helping of Nymphomaeviac-Rage was, "I can boink... but I still can't boink!"   :o