Author Topic: The True Identity of the Adversary "potential spoilers within"  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
The True Identity of the Adversary "potential spoilers within"
« on: February 24, 2020, 12:53:45 AM »
This is a wild one. I am only about 30 per cent sure on it. But still here we go.

The most common reference we have to the Adversary is the Devil. Which would make sense, except Hell and the Outsiders hardly seem to be allies.

But one weird one was a character in the Fables comic series - called the Adversary. This character is a world-conquering totalitarian dictator, a true villain. Trying to conquer all the various Folklore world. He conquers all of the European folklore and is currently trying to conquer African and Asian folklore.

He is
(click to show/hide)
He creates an army of these life-like automatons and also inserts them as rulers in-place of the real ones, and initially no one can tell the difference. Through his proxies he rules worlds until he then dominates them by force.

Sounds similar to another multiverse conquering/destroying force.

This also leads to a new candidate for Cowl. Someone on the White Council. Someone innocuous. Who has been onscreen but never obvious, and mentioned here and there in passing. That person is: Klaus Schneider the Toymaker. Which makes a hell of a lot of sense considering the identity of the Adversary.

Yeah it probably isn't right. But still, what if? Very wild WAG. I know Jim probably wouldn't just rip off someone's IP so directly. But still some weird coincidences.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The True Identity of the Adversary "potential spoilers within"
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 03:01:44 AM »
But one weird one was a character in the Fables comic series - called the Adversary. This character is a world-conquering totalitarian dictator, a true villain. Trying to conquer all the various Folklore world. He conquers all of the European folklore and is currently trying to conquer African and Asian folklore.
I know Jim probably wouldn't just rip off someone's IP so directly. But still some weird coincidences.

Based on what I can see of the comic's publication dates, not only do I not think Jim would rip off someone else' IP, I don't think he could have. Nemesis was foundational from the very beginning, and he's been sketching the overarching series plot even before SF was published.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 05:08:02 AM »
Yes, it was only a bit of fun. I wasn't all that serious. It just found the similarities interesting.

But perhaps they both share a root? Of course the differences outweigh the similarities. I just found it amusing. Hopefully it will be clearer in future.

Offline Silentbrick

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:30:56 PM »
Very well, I'll present my most WAG for who the Adversary is:

(click to show/hide)
"No Nuke Too Big, No Target Too Small"

Offline FFguy

• Conversationalist
  • There is no logic in my rants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »
The Adversary is
(click to show/hide)
. It's the only explanation.
The Scary Truth about Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris may be able to round house kick you to death but only after he gets permission from Mister.  Just think about that.  Chuck Norris the most powerful being ever known needs to get the okay from a cat.  Beware the cat.  Fear the cat.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
The Adversary is
(click to show/hide)
. It's the only explanation.

So you think
(click to show/hide)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 08:47:18 AM »
The Adversary is the most evil and unredeemable individual, a literary critic who sneers at SF, Fantasy and most of all ‘Comic Books’.