Author Topic: New here and new subject theory for DF  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Wolflordodin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
New here and new subject theory for DF
« on: June 05, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
Good Afternoon all,

Im new her but am and have been a life time fan since book one of the DF. Can not wait for the new book in just over a month.

So i have been having some thoughts about the DF universe and wanted to see if anyone else has had these thoughts.

Thought 1 - The fairy Queens. So what it is im thinking is that balance is a big thing for the dresden universe and there are three fairy queens, Lady, Queen and Mother for each court. But there is balance in the universe so i was thinking is there fairy kings? Summer Queen is Titania and as we all know there is Oberon who is the partner for Titania accoring to shakepsear.
So this got me thinking i feel that we have seen or met characters of the shee who are candidates for the Kings of fairy. My thinking is the Earl king could be a King of Fairy for Summer. Kringle/Odin/Vaderung is King of winter. Its possible that Hades could possible also be a King or even a Father of Winter. Any way thats the thought just wanted to see who else might have had this one rattle around their heads.

Thought 2 - Dragons. They have been mentioned way back at the beginning of the books when one attended the party of Biannca and then the mention again in the last book as having a vault in Marcones building. So i thought is there going to be a better use of these characters who apparently are legendary beings and there is possibly both good and bad Dragons.

Anyway just wanted to see what people thought of these subjects look forward to hearing about it from you all.

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
Re: New here and new subject theory for DF
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »
Intresting thoughts n_n .

I think the Erl King is actually Mab's Husband. He is King of the Goblins after all, and Goblins fall under Winter's Domain. I don't think we've met Oberon yet.

As for the Dragons, you forgot about the one Micheal Fought to rescue Charity XD . I have a feeling they'll be makeing an appreance soon.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New here and new subject theory for DF
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
Hello, Wolflordodin, and welcome!

Erl is wyldfae, neither Summer nor Winter.  But his origins are in Summer.

Kringle is Winterfae... even though Vadderung is not.  I'm not sure there's a purely "faerie" entity these days who could/would take up that Mantle... but there very well could be.  Given the amount we know -- and don't know! -- about how the Mantles work, it could even be that there are several entities who pass the "Kringle" mantle around amongst themselves.  Vadderung is clearly capable of putting Kringle's Mantle on, and taking it off again, more or less at will.

Oberon is dead (ish).  Word of Jim says:
Oberon… well, the guy kind of wound up between Mab and Titania in one of those romantic triangle things, back around Shakespeare’s day. He didn’t make it.

Jim also says:
The Faerie realms just aren’t that structured. It’s more accurate to say that [Kringle] is /a/ Winter King. Or even more accurately, that he is a free Wyld Fae who is of a power level that is on par with Mab’s and happens to neighbor her sphere of influence, and finds it simpler to show up to family dinners during the holidays and make polite than to start staking out boundaries and establishing treaties.
And:
There is no such thing as a Summer King in the Dresden Files faerie cosmology. Mab and Titania need a King like a fish needs a bicycle. :)
There are a ton of independent rulers of the Wyld, though, much like the Erlking, who is a member of the Winter Court more or less as a sign of courtesy and respect.

Dragons
There's two kinds, apparently.  There's the big scaly monsters, like flying dinosaurs with firebreath... these are the emissaries & servants of the REAL dragons.

Ferrovax is a real dragon.  He seldom manifests in the world because he's just too potent a being, reality warps around him.  Again from WoJ:
[Ferrovax] isn’t some kind of Smaug hanging around a nice apartment.  He’s a Dragon in a more Asian sense of the concept, a semi-divine being who was once given authority over various portions of the mortal universe, and who was responsible for their orderly procession.

There's only a few true dragons left in the world... I don't think Jim has entirely made up his mind on the exact number, or their identities; but it seems to be less than half a dozen.