Author Topic: Anyone have a timeline on what happened when Harry was 16?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Anyone have a timeline on what happened when Harry was 16?
« on: February 09, 2020, 03:02:22 AM »
We get snippets, and I think it's terribly important, because it seems some of them are contradictory.

1) Lea's involved . . somehow . .such that he knew she was his godmother but didn't question why she didn't adopt him, or finds out she's his godmother.
2) There's a memory of coming back and finding Elaine entranced
3) But there's another memory of Elaine in funky makeup giving him something weird to drink
4) He fled, and then returned, to Justin's.

A few ideas I have I want to get some details on:

1) Is Nemesis somehow bloodborne as a vector? Is that what they were feeding him? Is that part of being Starborn- a Nemesis-infected woman births a child with immunity? Or with Outsider powers from their "Outsider daddy?"
2) Was Elaine already with DuMorne when he adopted Harry? Could she actually be the original vector that infected DuMorne?
3) How does he reconcile his time in foster care with Lea being his godmother- a god parent, in the oldest sense, is the designated caretaker/parent if/when the parents die.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a timeline on what happened when Harry was 16?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 07:15:56 AM »
We get snippets, and I think it's terribly important, because it seems some of them are contradictory ...

I think you're right on both points -- important, and contradictory -- and I think that's intentional on Jim Butcher's part.  I think there's a lot that would be revealed too early, if Harry could/would remember it clearly.

But fortunately for Jim's authorial plans (not to mention financial plans) it makes some sense that a teen in the circumstances might reasonably NOT have clear memories.  So Jim gets to drag it out, revealing things -- or further obscuring them -- as he wants.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:33:43 PM »
I think you're right on both points -- important, and contradictory -- and I think that's intentional on Jim Butcher's part.  I think there's a lot that would be revealed too early, if Harry could/would remember it clearly.

But fortunately for Jim's authorial plans (not to mention financial plans) it makes some sense that a teen in the circumstances might reasonably NOT have clear memories.  So Jim gets to drag it out, revealing things -- or further obscuring them -- as he wants.

Or changing them..

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 04:43:22 PM »
2) Was Elaine already with DuMorne when he adopted Harry? Could she actually be the original vector that infected DuMorne?

I vaguely remember reading that DuMorne adopted Elaine a few weeks after Harry.

I can't conclusively argue against her being already N-fected even then, but that seems to be crediting the adversary with a lot of foresight.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »
... I can't conclusively argue against her being already N-fected even then, but that seems to be crediting the adversary with a lot of foresight.

That depends on whether a Starborn can be usefully turned to serve the Outsiders; in which case, it'd just be SOP (if the Outsiders can find the damn Starbabies, of course).