Author Topic: The value of different medium  (Read 6550 times)

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
The value of different medium
« on: December 09, 2007, 09:13:25 AM »
I've hit a huge out flow of writing lately, but it's all on RPG.... so that begs the question... is it valid as "writing" or not?
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Cold Revenge

• Posty McPostington
  • The Dude abides, man.
    • View Profile
Re: The value of different medium
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 09:35:06 AM »
If you wrote it, it's writing. :P My buddy does the same thing. He posts on an online RPG, SHAE(swords honor somethin somethin, I think), and his vocab and description abilities have vastly improved since he started. He types out a section of storyline and posts it. I'd consider that writing, so if it's anything like what you're doing, I'd say yes, you are in fact writing.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »
Yep - that's it exactly.  :D Thanks....  The internal critic had insomnia last night...

Offline CrazyGerbilLady

• Posty McPostington
  • Rumblestrut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:20:49 PM »
Not to mention what you learn by reading what the other players are writing and trying to keep up with them.  I'm constantly looking stuff up on the internet.  And after all the speed-posting I've done with some people ... I'm not sure I'll ever really have writer's block again ROFL.
SqueakyTiki, goddess of rodents and other small furries

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »
Ain't that truth!!  ;D

I know more about Chicago gangsters and various assault weapons now than I'd ever thought I'd want to, and find myself watching Modern Marvels and the History Channel for research! LOL

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:45:20 PM »
I don't role-play any more, after some years doing lots of it in high-school, precisely because it feeds on the same energy as writing my fiction. [ well, that and a little bit of seeing the workings of the RPG industry. ]

I am however starting to head in the direction of getting back into photography again, for the first time since my early teens; will be interesting to see how that works creativity-wise.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

MatthewD44

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:58:28 PM »
Honestly I think that it would greatly improve your descriptions by playing RPG's I also know that one of the biggest best sellers Dragonlance started off as an RPG adventure.. so who knows..

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:45:54 AM »
oooooo.... then there ARE those who have fulfilled my dreams before me..... *rubs hands together gleefully*

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 03:57:58 PM »
Honestly I think that it would greatly improve your descriptions by playing RPG's I also know that one of the biggest best sellers Dragonlance started off as an RPG adventure.. so who knows..

Well, yes, but Dragonlance is rubbish.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:51:43 PM »
That's okay... then I can still aspire to doing the deed and creating a masterpiece! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »
Hey, my first for-hire job was writing short fiction for FASA for Shadowrun.

And I'm a HUGE proponent of MUSH as improv exercises for writing (online text based rp)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »
I'm sorry if my comment came across as negative on people who RPG regularly or have had some professional involvement with the field, that was definitely not the intention.  Just that for me, being involved in an RPG uses the same energy as writing fiction does, and right now writing fiction is more important to me.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »
No offense was taken, by me, anyways, neurovore. In fact, that was one of my fears when I began playing. All the time I spend on line playing is time and energy I could spend *insert serious voice* "writing".

But I must say, the energy that I've gained in collaboration beats anything I have ever experience writing alone. Also, the accountability factor seems to be counteracting my procrastination talents wonderfully! AND... I haven't had writer's block in months! Not to mention all that I'm learning with finding historial events that I can incorporate and morph into a storyline. The challenge inherent in injecting a completely fictional series of events inside a skeleton structure of historical accuracy, without altering the real life outcome of events is .... *big smile* satisfying.

Offline DrygonDM

• Posty McPostington
  • Random Encounter #13
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon's Den
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »
Well, I'm not much of a writer. But I have been Gaming, and DM-ing, for about 25 years, now.
And not just D&D, but a lot of RPGs: Earthdawn to Shadowrun; RIFTS to Witchcraft, World of Darkness to Battletech; TOONS to Superheroes; more.....

Various Play-By-Post Sites have improved my (Still Limited) writing skills.
(two P-B-P Sites I run – one for D&D and one for X-Men – anyone interested can email me. BLATENT PLUG!! [sorry.])

I normally love to play with different fonts and colors. However, different fonts and colors do not always work for every Posting Site –  I have yet to figure out how to do different fonts here. Colors is possible to do, but a lot of people have complained that the different colors makes it harder for them to read what I posted, and so I stopped doing it.

From what I have noticed, to write something for an RPG is like being the Uber-DM. You have to take into account everything that you want to happen, but also be flexible enough to see everything that could happen – and then figure out ways to change things in unexpected ways, so that your readers are almost always surprised by that event.

Being the Uber-DM also means that you have to look at your Villains and Monsters, and make them as “Human”  –  and as believable  –  as possible.
It also might mean letting the Baddies “win” from time to time, and then finding a way for your Hero(es) to defeat them.

Also look at unusual Races for Characters – my favorite “Monster Race” in D&D is the lowly Kobold.
This race has as much a chance to be almost any “D&D Class” as any other Race in the Player's Handbook. A Lawful “Communistic” Society, that has a lot of Racial history of being the Underdogs; and a great amount of anger, frustration, and “Religious Hype” against everyone else - remember that their only deity is evil, and hates all non-Kobolds, but especially Gnomes.

Can you Imagine a Gnome/Kobold "Romio & Juliette"? Write out the viewpoint of each, Before, During, and After they "fall in love".
First try a Gnome boy and a Kobold girl, and then try the reverse.
Also – decide if they are going to (1) break up, (2) suicide to be together, or (3) simply elope.

I once had a wonderful (IMhO) story (and not the R & J, above) about how a young Kobold becomes a powerful “Hero” of several “Normal” Races, as well as his other Kobolds.
But the story was lost years ago, from moving around so much, and technically it is nothing more then just “Fanfic” anyway.

My point was – that inspiration can come from a lot of sources, including playing RPGs.

Well, yes, but Dragonlance is rubbish.

After the first two trilogies (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning; and Time of the Twins, Test of the Twins, War of the Twins) I would tend to agree.

A few of the first Prelude “Histories”  - and a few Short Story collections – were ok, but most sucked rotten eggs.
Respect must be earned.

If, in the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King - imagine the power of anyone that can clearly see !!!

Offline seradhe

• Conversationalist
  • insert witty cliche here
    • View Profile
    • Where I write things
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 07:10:05 AM »
throw my two cents in as of late.

I actually Play some random Text-based RPG while writing on a story. I'll load up word and just start working, and I'll write as much as I can before whomever I am RPing with replies.

I don't know exactly why this works for me, but having a "second Story" being made where I am only responsible for half the action keeps my mind working fresh on my main tale. Provided I have a good partner in the RP, I can write for a good 7-8 hours (though it might be more like 5-6 if you subtract time spent on the RP and not the story)
I think it's painfully obvious why my pants are gone.