Author Topic: Morgan Micro Fiction  (Read 51213 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan Micro Fiction
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2020, 11:24:12 PM »
Maybe following a Rule of Three ... ?
Odin?

Reading Kurtin's section about who knows what about Nemesis and Gatekeeper, I had a thought that Ebeneezer is likely to be one of the most well informed members of the Senior Council on the bigger picture of the magical world. He has the Merlin's journals. I've never really thought about the implications of that, but while Kurtin's right that Eb might be in the dark about more recent events, I don't think Nemesis, Old Ones, the Outergates, Demonreach, Outsiders, etc. are recent events.

The Gatekeeper says the rest of the Council doesn't know as much as they think they do about his and Harry's roles. But as Kurtin points out, Jim has said that they don't share information. Some of the Senior Council probably knows more about their jobs than the Gatekeeper presumes.

But Morgan is not talking about what happened when Harry was born. He is speaking about what happened when Malcolm died. That is when Morgan missed his chance to take care of him because he was on a mission, Harry went to the foster system and only THEN Justin appeared.
@BadAlias: it's ok  :)
Justin was a warden at some point. We don't know precisely when he retired, but I'm sure he had connections with the Wardens after he retired. Dina's comment made me consider the possibility that Justin made his move when he knew Morgan wouldn't be around to do anything about it. That's assuming that Justin was directly involved in Malcolm's death and Harry's vanishing.

Thanks, Dina.  :)

Morgan escaped from custody and got to his silver oak leaf. I doubt that he was allowed to keep it on his person while in custody. Morgan could have grabbed a few things when he got to his quarters or home or lair or whatever. Then he traveled the Ways to the Southwest and took a train to Chicago. He could have grabbed his journal and wrote on the train. There is a post office right near Union Station and I found an image of a post office "letter box" in Union Station. I don't know if the letter box is currently serviced or if it's kept for historical purposes. Point is, he could easily have dropped it in the mail at some point.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2020, 11:38:11 PM »
Morgan escaped from custody and got to his silver oak leaf. I doubt that he was allowed to keep it on his person while in custody. Morgan could have grabbed a few things when he got to his quarters or home or lair or whatever. Then he traveled the Ways to the Southwest and took a train to Chicago. He could have grabbed his journal and wrote on the train. There is a post office right near Union Station and I found an image of a post office "letter box" in Union Station. I don't know if the letter box is currently serviced or if it's kept for historical purposes. Point is, he could easily have dropped it in the mail at some point.

Um, during all of this, you are leaving out that Morgan was wounded pretty badly.  So grabbing his journal and writing in it during a train ride seem a bit far fetched.

The Gatekeeper says the rest of the Council doesn't know as much as they think they do about his and Harry's roles. But as Kurtin points out, Jim has said that they don't share information. Some of the Senior Council probably knows more about their jobs than the Gatekeeper presumes.

Somehow I doubt it.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2020, 02:20:37 AM »
Justin was a warden at some point. We don't know precisely when he retired, but I'm sure he had connections with the Wardens after he retired. Dina's comment made me consider the possibility that Justin made his move when he knew Morgan wouldn't be around to do anything about it. That's assuming that Justin was directly involved in Malcolm's death and Harry's vanishing.

Thanks, Dina.  :)

I like your idea about Justin (or whoever kill Malcolm) to do it knowing that Morgan was not available. Perhaps they were from the White Council or have agents inside.And thanks for the data about mailboxes, I probably need to rewrite some of TC to see what Morgan says.
And you are welcome  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2020, 03:01:56 AM »
What happened to Harry implies that the Council wasn't part of the surveillance.   Had it been, Harry would have remained covered even when Morgan wasn't there.  So what Morgan was doing appears to be off the books in so far as the Wardens were concerned.  Justin takes Harry when he manifests, so he was apparently watching as well.  It seems to be pretty straightforward that Morgan and Justin were playing the same game.  When will Harry manifest? And can I grab him first? Otherwise why would he run back to check after his mission?
Um, during all of this, you are leaving out that Morgan was wounded pretty badly.  So grabbing his journal and writing in it during a train ride seem a bit far fetched.
Yet it appears that he did something of that sort.  He wrote it somewhere, bleeding or not.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2020, 05:18:38 AM »
Yet it appears that he did something of that sort.  He wrote it somewhere, bleeding or not.

I know, that is what rings so false to me in the whole micro story.   I  can buy that Morgan kept a journal, but I don't buy the timeline of the entry or it's writing.  I find it a little hard to believe that Morgan, the warden's warden, would be close enough to Margaret to promise to watch her kid.  To begin with, did she know ahead of time that she was going to be killed?  Possible..  The only way I can rationalize her asking Morgan and him agreeing was he knew her role as a spy to get information on the Enemy.  Was he the only one on the Council that knew about Harry's birth?  Goes back to debates we've had before about Eb, he tried to get revenge for Margaret's death, but never followed up on the where his grandson went or what happened to him after his father died.  You'd think if any of this was common knowledge, especially about Nemesis that he'd compared notes with Eb, who had after all done a soul gaze with Harry about his fears that he might be infected. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »
  I know, that is what rings so false to me in the whole micro story.   I  can buy that Morgan kept a journal, but I don't buy the timeline of the entry or it's writing.  I find it a little hard to believe that Morgan, the warden's warden, would be close enough to Margaret to promise to watch her kid.  To begin with, did she know ahead of time that she was going to be killed?  Possible..  The only way I can rationalize her asking Morgan and him agreeing was he knew her role as a spy to get information on the Enemy.  Was he the only one on the Council that knew about Harry's birth?  Goes back to debates we've had before about Eb, he tried to get revenge for Margaret's death, but never followed up on the where his grandson went or what happened to him after his father died.  You'd think if any of this was common knowledge, especially about Nemesis that he'd compared notes with Eb, who had after all done a soul gaze with Harry about his fears that he might be infected. 
The story is absolutely neutral with respect to the relationship between Margaret and Morgan.  You needn't assume they were close. Nor do you need to assume she was a spy for the Council or anyone else.  All you have to assume is that Harry's birth was an intentional act.  She set out to produce a Starborn.  And then she shopped him to Morgan.  Harry is a weapon and Morgan's fear is about who will wield him.

Here are what I consider to be the two key phrases.
That bastard Justin DuMorne got to him before I could.
From then on, we could not be sure that the child was not molded to be a creature of Nemesis.
The way I read that is,  since he knew about Harry in the first place, was that he was waiting for exactly the same reason Justin was, i.e. for Harry to manifest. And in the second case that they didn't fear a nemfection until he disappeared. This also implies that the "we" and Morgan knew the nature of a nemfection.  I now assume that the we is the Senior Council.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »
The story is absolutely neutral with respect to the relationship between Margaret and Morgan.  You needn't assume they were close. Nor do you need to assume she was a spy for the Council or anyone else.  All you have to assume is that Harry's birth was an intentional act.  She set out to produce a Starborn.  And then she shopped him to Morgan.  Harry is a weapon and Morgan's fear is about who will wield him.

No, it is not..  If a mother gives a damn about her baby, you are careful as to whom you ask to look out for it.   Morgan from the time we first meet him till his death doesn't seem like that kind of guy.  Also given what Luccio had said about Margaret, it hard to think that Morgan would think differently about her.   Morgan isn't a deep thinker, he takes orders and carries them out.  I need a lot more information otherwise none of this is logical.
The way I read that is,  since he knew about Harry in the first place, was that he was waiting for exactly the same reason Justin was, i.e. for Harry to manifest. And in the second case that they didn't fear a nemfection until he disappeared. This also implies that the "we" and Morgan knew the nature of a nemfection.  I now assume that the we is the Senior Council.

Now you are making assumptions..  What do you mean by manifest?   The other side of the coin is, Justin kept the kids secret from the Council, but more to the point he kept the Council secret from the kids!  Harry had no clue that the Council existed until he was arrested..  Morgan doesn't question why that is.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »
I'll point out that Jim has Margaret run and leave Thomas to become a vampire.  Not exactly a paragon of motherhood as I define it.

Manifest.  Come into his magic.

Obviously Jim is retconning Morgan to pump up interest in Peace Talks.  There is a clash with existing canon, where Morgan was a grade A bastard with a God complex.  If this was always Jim's plan then he has done what he has always done, to use the first person narrative of Harry to make us look in the wrong direction. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2020, 03:52:08 PM »

I'll point out that Jim has Margaret run and leave Thomas to become a vampire.  Not exactly a paragon of motherhood as I define it.

True as far as that goes, however we have no idea of how much of a choice she had in the matter.  The fact that Thomas doesn't seem to hold a grudge against her for this is perhaps a clue that she
didn't have a huge choice.  Lord Raith may have killed him along with her if she had taken him.

Manifest.  Come into his magic.

Harry came into his talent at the age of ten..  What he got once Justin adopted him he got training.. 
So if the infection supposedly showed itself or not when his magic showed up, there is no debate..

I seriously doubt that Morgan couldn't track Harry once Justin adopted him.  The wardens were jolly on the spot when he killed Justin.. So they knew where Justin lived, I presume he may have even gotten retirement pay, if they knew that they had to have known about Harry and Elaine.. 

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »
Others have raised as part of this thread about how winter, and really everyone, has been "forging" Harry to be able to deal with temptation and be strong willed.  It made me think about what we learned about winter, "you are always vulnerable to yourself."  What if, to do what Harry needs to do, Harry needs to be infected with Nemesis at the end, and overcome it?  Essentially, become Nfected so that he then has some connection with Nemesis everywhere (rather than just the Nfected shell in front of him) and then use that connection and his starborne nature and his forged will, to order Nemesis out of reality.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »
@Mira
You may read that as Justin was the danger in terms of there being a nemfection, not something inherent in Harry. This quote is fairly self explanatory.
Quote from: Juornal

From then on, we could not be sure that the child was not molded to be a creature of Nemesis.
Quote from: Mira
I seriously doubt that Morgan couldn't track Harry once Justin adopted him.
Morgan tells you he couldn't.  Make what you want of that.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2020, 05:51:22 PM »
You may read that as Justin was the danger in terms of there being a nemfection, not something inherent in Harry. This quote is fairly self explanatory.

That sounds like an excuse.. Why call Justin a "bastard?"  Even after Harry killed him he was held in
pretty high regard, so is that after the fact?  Not sure if he is saying that Justin is a source of the infection or what?  When did he know that Justin got him?  Why didn't the wardens do a raid then and take a very young Harry and Elaine away..
Morgan tells you he couldn't.  Make what you want of that.

That is the bit that doesn't make any sense to me..  There are records when there are adoptions.. Harry and Elaine went to public school for crap sake..  During the time when Malcolm was alive maybe harder, they moved around a lot, but in the orphanage and after adoption?  Not so clear.  And is he now saying it is a given that Justin was a part in the infections?  Successful with Elaine but not Harry?

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2020, 05:59:09 PM »
SoA,

Holy Cow!!!

Talk about revelatory...  I don't even know where to begin.

I love how it's straightforward, blunt, and right to the point. Very Morgan.

I agree it’s huge.  It also cements for me that Maggie Sr. Is not “Black Council”.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 09:45:29 PM by SerScot »
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
@toodeep, I will be pleased if you are right.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2020, 06:52:53 PM »

Somehow I doubt it.
He wrote in it some point after escaping and while losing blood. "I am losing blood." Sitting on a train seems like the best time we know of. I doubt it was while he was moving around.

I doubt that Rashid knows what all the other members of the Senior Council know.

There are records when there are adoptions.. Harry and Elaine went to public school for crap sake..  During the time when Malcolm was alive maybe harder, they moved around a lot, but in the orphanage and after adoption?
I arrived less than ten hours after the child went into the foster care system, and someone made him vanish. Magically, physically, bureaucratically.
There were no records by the time Morgan got there. Also, adoption records are sealed. In the mid 80's, when Harry would have been adopted, such records would have likely been stored for the long term on microfiche or a similar system a powerful wizard probably couldn't access, so Morgan couldn't have even stolen them and Justin could have easily destroyed them. If they hadn't been converted yet, paper is easy to burn.

No, it is not..  If a mother gives a damn about her baby, you are careful as to whom you ask to look out for it.
Margaret does apologize for what she's done to Harry in the SoulGaze with Thomas. And Morgan is probably a pretty good choice for a protector. Morgan promised to protect Harry. We don't know that he promised to raise Harry if something happened to Malcolm. Margaret also choose Lea to protect Harry.