Author Topic: Morgan Micro Fiction  (Read 51242 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan Micro Fiction
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2020, 07:00:41 PM »
Things are tunning towards an apocalypse now but normally immortals have loads of time.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2020, 08:13:34 PM »
My best friend's husband is a lawyer,  I think it depends on the type of law one practices.  In some areas the laws change more frequently than others.. However as far as I know he might take a week or a weekend once a year to get caught up on them, not much time when one is immortal..  As a practicing lawyer, he already knows the law, reading and understanding the fine points of a new law or change shouldn't take all that long.
One's field of practice doesn't affect one's jurisdiction's CLE requirements. (I know some field's require certain CLE's be taken, but the overall number doesn't change). It's not necessarily about staying on top of things; it is necessarily about meeting state mandated requirements.

I think the main point is Mab thinks like a very good lawyer.
I do think that was Jim's point. He said "some of the fae ... they understand codes." These fae would be natural lawyers. They wouldn't need law school, training, or much practice to be effective practitioners of mortal law. Which does go to my original point of bringing up that Mab is a lawyer. Those fae would be good at handling a bureaucracy.

Perhaps Europe has another rules too. I won't be surprised if Mab has a British identity, so Shakesperean.
I have no idea what the rules are in the various European states. I'm sure they're different in each one. I'm also sure Mab has interests in all of them.

Mab could always represent herself. She wouldn't need a license for that.

Things are turning towards an apocalypse now but normally immortals have loads of time.
But do they have loads of free time?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2020, 08:59:15 PM »
But do they have loads of free time?

The Gatekeeper and Harry in Cold Days:
I felt my eyes get wide. “An immune system . . . What happens if it . . . you know, if it breaks down for a bit?”
“Pardon?” the Gatekeeper asked.
“Uh, it gets a glitch. Like, if somebody new took over or something and things had to reorganize around here . . .”
Most years, it would pose no major difficulty,” he said.
“What about this year?”
“This year,” he said, “it could be problematic.”
“Problematic.”

Maeve could ignore her duties for more than a century, Mab can take a few days of normally. But not now maybe.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2020, 01:31:56 AM »
Solid point Arjan. I'm still vehemently of the opinion that Mab's time could be better spent.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2020, 01:41:51 AM »
You have to wonder, who could bring a legal action against Mab?  How could a process server serve her?  And what court has jurisdiction in the Never Never.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2020, 03:48:39 AM »
You have to wonder, who could bring a legal action against Mab?  How could a process server serve her?  And what court has jurisdiction in the Never Never.

There seems to be an idea upthread that Mab may have business interests, own land, and otherwise have a mortal-facing legal presence.  Businesses can be sued, land can be levied-against, etc.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 05, 2020, 06:44:28 AM »
As to what court has jurisdiction in the Never Never, the obvious answer would be "Mab's" so I pity the fool that tries to hold legal action against her there :D

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2020, 03:57:31 PM »
One's field of practice doesn't affect one's jurisdiction's CLE requirements. (I know some field's require certain CLE's be taken, but the overall number doesn't change). It's not necessarily about staying on top of things; it is necessarily about meeting state mandated requirements.

But how much time are talking practically speaking?  Just looked it up, if Google is correct we are talking 3 to 9 hours per reporting period..  Not a huge amount of time, it didn't say whether it had to be done all at once either.  So if Mab could spare the time to go to the opera or a sporting event with Sarissa in the past, keeping her law license current wouldn't be a big deal. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2020, 10:47:23 PM »
... I'm still vehemently of the opinion that Mab's time could be better spent.
And I reiterate that, with Nevernever-based time dilation available, Mab doesn't have to lose any "time" to this project.

She is immortal -- she has unlimited lifespan to spend.  Real-world time progresses inexorably, so she has THAT limit (and I agree that's something she can't squander).  But she can spend an arbitrarily-small amount of that time by using a very-dilated bit of the Nevernever, because her lifetime has no end.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2020, 04:34:51 AM »
   But how much time are talking practically speaking?  Just looked it up, if Google is correct we are talking 3 to 9 hours per reporting period..  Not a huge amount of time, it didn't say whether it had to be done all at once either.  So if Mab could spare the time to go to the opera or a sporting event with Sarissa in the past, keeping her law license current wouldn't be a big deal.
It usually doesn't have to be all at once and definitely doesn't if it's a video/audio recorded CLE. The the typical range is 10 to 15 hours with about six exceptions. Alaska and Hawaii at 3, and D.C., Maryland, Mass., and Michigan having no requirements. https://www.lorman.com/Minimum-CLE-Hours-by-State

A lot of CLEs can apply to multiple jurisdictions. I'm assuming Mab is licensed in at least the major states if not all of them. I'm also assuming she could manage to meet the requirements of all states with only having to go over the maximum requirement by no more than 5 hours.

And I reiterate that, with Nevernever-based time dilation available, Mab doesn't have to lose any "time" to this project.

She is immortal -- she has unlimited lifespan to spend.  Real-world time progresses inexorably, so she has THAT limit (and I agree that's something she can't squander).  But she can spend an arbitrarily-small amount of that time by using a very-dilated bit of the Nevernever, because her lifetime has no end.
I have a feeling the Nevernever-based time dilation isn't ever that clean. I don't see any other instance in any of Jim's worlds where someone gets something for nothing. There's always a cost.

My point has never been that Mab can't do it. It's that it doesn't seem like a good deal for her. She's getting less out of it than she's putting in. Now she could be strategically licensed in one or more jurisdictions that don't have licensing requirements, be licensed on an inactive status, and not licensed in states that allow lawyers from the other states to appear pro hac vice or have easy reciprocity requirements. That still seems like too much effort to me. Why not just hire an attorney? Do that and they've made a deal with her. Then she may even be able to sock puppet them and be her own lawyer in situations where she can't appear pro se.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2020, 06:05:03 AM »
My point has never been that Mab can't do it. It's that it doesn't seem like a good deal for her. She's getting less out of it than she's putting in.

I think you could be mistaken there, as we've learned Mab has a reason for every move she makes.  It may not be apparent now, but bet on it, she has a reason why she wants that ability in her back pocket.  For example her very mortal Knight gets in serious trouble with the law under her orders.  He is too valuable an asset to trust his defense to anyone but herself..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2020, 12:05:09 PM »
From what we have seen the supernatural powers closest to the real world have material interests in that world. They have a presence in the real world. What would be more logical for the winter court than a law firm? Man would be on top of it.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »
CEO's don't litigate.  Ever. No matter how good a Attorney they might be.  The Outsiders could care less about the legal system and that is Mab's focus.  Her word is law in the Never Never, no Judges required.  If she's litigating it's wasted time.  She has lackeys.  As many of them as she needs.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »
CEO's don't litigate.  Ever. No matter how good a Attorney they might be.  The Outsiders could care less about the legal system and that is Mab's focus.  Her word is law in the Never Never, no Judges required.  If she's litigating it's wasted time.  She has lackeys.  As many of them as she needs.

We shall see...

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2020, 01:57:43 PM »
I'm going to steal a bit from the concept of omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient...
Mab isn't any of these things but she certainly aspires to them.

Thinking back to the puppet that Aurora made and the fact we have demonstrated Mab's immense intellect, I'm certain its within her capability to at least split part of her awareness into a puppet and send the puppet to whatever CE she needs.