Author Topic: Morgan Micro Fiction  (Read 50986 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan Micro Fiction
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2020, 04:45:17 AM »
That happens me often but with Harry I took some books to actually caring for him. I kept reading because I liked...well, all the things Harry does not any more. The P.I thing, the potions, the magic gadgets. Also, because I had seen the show and I actually cared for those Harry, Morgan, and Bob.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2020, 01:59:33 PM »
You're... just wore out with vague hints, speculations, possible/probable/improbable/nothing's-impossiblities ??!?    :o

Dude.   ???

You're hanging out on the wrong forum.

;)
This is a nice, quite, drama free place.  Something I place a high value on. The rest is a rant, you've been warned.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
That happens me often but with Harry I took some books to actually caring for him. I kept reading because I liked...well, all the things Harry does not any more. The P.I thing, the potions, the magic gadgets. Also, because I had seen the show and I actually cared for those Harry, Morgan, and Bob.

Yes, especially Bob, that is the one thing the television show did a better job of than the books, but a lot of that is due to the actor who played him.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
Yes, he was incredible. All the actors were quite good, to be honest but I simply liked Harry and Morgan.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2020, 11:22:17 PM »
@Bad Alias: I dunno, I end up reading quite a few things where I ended up liking it for the supporting cast more than I did the main character.

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2020, 11:46:57 PM »
Interesting that your interpretation is so different of mine, specially about her last movements. I see them as calculated and very rational, nothing of desperation (and she could feel fear and regret but that was not what fueled her actions).

I too see her actions as calculated and rational.  I have often wondered if she might have had visions of the future so that everything she did was with a purpose to save the end of the world.   

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2020, 05:20:53 AM »
This is a nice, quite, drama free place.  Something I place a high value on. The rest is a rant, you've been warned.
(click to show/hide)
You've just blown the case wide open!  ;)

I can barely finish a 90 minute movie when I don't care about (or dislike when I'm supposed to like) the main character.

@123Chikadee: That's why I hedged a bit with "main characters" instead of just "main character."

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2020, 09:58:47 PM »
... I'm thinking of things like the plot of Proven Guilty. Nine books later we don't have any real clue and neither does anyone else.  Can you tell me something as simple as, who was the antagonist? ...

Define "antagonist."

If you mean, who kidnapped Molly -- that was Mab.  Pretty sure WoJ says so.  The hands may have been Captain Kudzu's, but the will behind the snatch was Mab's.  That was Harry's "antagonist."

But this topic wanders far afield from the Morgan Micro Fiction topic, so I spoilerblock a revisit of that old PG topic...  :)

(click to show/hide)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2020, 12:42:17 AM »
The connection to Journal is in the mechanism used to find Molly by the antagonist. Like I said, 9 books later all we got are WAGS. Nobody can speak definitively about why it worked the way it did. And the most interesting question in PG is not who fixed LC, but why did Jim break it in the first place.
(click to show/hide)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
Random thought I just had, but what if Mab wasn't the target of the attack on Arctus Tor? What if Mab's reasons for having Molly abducted was because the 'hornets nest' that Harry had kicked up had decided to cut their losses in the face of Hurricane Dresden and take her themselves, and Mab just decided to rob them of their prize by 'kidnapping' her away to her Stronghold.

Not that I can think of a reason why Molly would be so valuable back then as to be worth that much effort of course, but hey, I'm half asleep, this is probably a stupid idea.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »
Why would Margaret contact Morgan?  The only thing that makes any sense to me comes from how Jim has positioned Morgan.  As absolutely uncorruptable.  What would that imply?
Not that I can think of a reason why Molly would be so valuable back then as to be worth that much effort of course, but hey, I'm half asleep, this is probably a stupid idea.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »
The connection to Journal is in the mechanism used to find Molly by the antagonist. Like I said, 9 books later all we got are WAGS. Nobody can speak definitively about why it worked the way it did. And the most interesting question in PG is not who fixed LC, but why did Jim break it in the first place.
(click to show/hide)
Based on Mab's "desert fox" comment in Summer Knight, I think she doesn't know what Rashid is up to all the time (maybe most of the time) but enjoys trying to figure it out.

Why would Margaret contact Morgan?  The only thing that makes any sense to me comes from how Jim has positioned Morgan.  As absolutely uncorruptable.  What would that imply?
(click to show/hide)
Rashid also has some ability to see possible futures.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »
Based on Mab's "desert fox" comment in Summer Knight, I think she doesn't know what Rashid is up to all the time (maybe most of the time) but enjoys trying to figure it out.
Rashid also has some ability to see possible futures.
Mab does what Anduriel does, with the addition of video.  Rashid is only a step behind her.  It's a wonder Harry doesn't feel breathing on his neck when he takes a leak. However in terms of Time, at least in this case, it's a probabilistic look at time. Possible futures rather than absolute ones.  Things that might be. What that Desert Fox tells you more than anything else, is that Mab knows him well enough to give him an affectionate  nickname.
Random thought I just had, but what if Mab wasn't the target of the attack on Arctus Tor? What if Mab's reasons for having Molly abducted was because the 'hornets nest' that Harry had kicked up had decided to cut their losses in the face of Hurricane Dresden and take her themselves, and Mab just decided to rob them of their prize by 'kidnapping' her away to her Stronghold.

The attack at Arctis Tor was designed to do precisely what it did, keep Mab bottled up while events were occurring in Dead Beat. It was a feint.  She beat it off and then tried to figure out how and why.

I spoilered this because I'm sure that people are tired of me banging this particular drum.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »
@morris:
Was it just that?

I know Uriel fights one soul at a time too, but what would it have done to the Council? Harry murdered as he stood up for what was right - and even Morgan seems to know it. Morgan who swore to protect Harry. Would even Morgan be able to stand straight when his duties conflict and justice argues against his greater duty? Or would he crack and shatter, before or after Harry's death?

Harry wasn't yet the hero of the young Wardens of Turn Coat/Changes, but he was no doubt close.
And then Ebenezar and his gang are dead if Uriel/TWG doesn't send Michael.

In other words - the deadliest Warden is internally shattered, two more of the scariest wizards in a fight (Eb and Harry) lie dead, and the Wardens who need Morgan's clarity to prevent them doing anything foolish want to avenge Harry. That is 'The White Council is gone' levels of bad.

Saving Harry's soul was the point - but saving the soul of the White Council was, too, even if it was a less roaring success.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
Harry wasn't yet the hero of the young Wardens of Turn Coat/Changes, but he was no doubt close.
And then Ebenezar and his gang are dead if Uriel/TWG doesn't send Michael.

Are you sure?  Have to go back but I believe the consensus was that Harry was the hero of the young wardens and the apprentices.  I believe you are thinking of Proven Guilty when Michael tells him that it was Harry that was being saved, not Molly.