Author Topic: Peace talks excerpt indications  (Read 44669 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Peace talks excerpt indications
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 04:33:25 PM »
Mira
(click to show/hide)
Rob
(click to show/hide)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 04:58:34 PM »
Marcone would not want to spoil his relations with Mab either.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 05:38:04 PM »
Marcone would not want to spoil his relations with Mab either.

True, but then....
Name other vanilla mortals in on the talks?  Or whom of those that are going to be present at the talks know enough mortals to pull this off?  Now it could be that the Foman are pulling a fast one..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 05:59:46 PM »
It could be the return of Cowl and his ilk. He certainly does not want these peace talks to be a success and they called outsiders before to aid the red court in their war with the white  council. I think Cowl is our main suspect.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 06:55:03 PM »
It could be the return of Cowl and his ilk. He certainly does not want these peace talks to be a success and they called outsiders before to aid the red court in their war with the white  council. I think Cowl is our main suspect.

I think it becomes a question of how well known the peace talks are to begin with.  If it is well known that they are going to take place, I'd agree, but if they are not, then he either has someone on the inside or it is someone else.   

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 06:59:33 PM »
I think it becomes a question of how well known the peace talks are to begin with.  If it is well known that they are going to take place, I'd agree, but if they are not, then he either has someone on the inside or it is someone else.
It takes only one infected in one of the many participating factions to let the outsiders know. I think it is very likely that they have some sources of information probably within the fomor who worked with the red court.

A lot of people know. I do not think it is a big secret.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 09:20:33 PM »
I agree with Arjan theory.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 10:52:03 PM »
Cowl knows the council quite well. He was probably an active member at some point. He hides his identity so he has an identity to protect. That might just be a white council identity. Cowl’s source of information could simply be Cowl.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 11:57:59 PM »
Cowl knows the council quite well. He was probably an active member at some point. He hides his identity so he has an identity to protect. That might just be a white council identity. Cowl’s source of information could simply be Cowl.

I think that is too simple for the story line.  As in just because we haven't seen Cowl in a while he'd be the one behind the Outsiders coming to the party.  I doubt that he could hide himself among the White Council, he totally reeks of black magic.   He could have a spy though.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 01:16:09 AM »
Marcone has plenty of other ways to get muscle, and he is a pragmatist. If he wanted to disrupt the peace talks, there are plenty of more mortal ways to do it. Like bombs and bullets. If he really wanted a monster, why pick an Outsider? Whole menagerie of Norse monsters, not to mention all the other types that I am sure Monoc could help with. Why pick something so dangerous and unpredictable (of which information is scant)? Not to mention (as has previously been pointed out) that Vadderung wouldn't stand for it. Not to mention freaking Mab, who literally last book worked with Marcone.

Now it could be Cowl, but it doesn't have to be. Just as likely him as not. And just because a Wizard doesn't use black magic, doesn't mean he can't. Harry's magic is tainted but it doesn't stop him being on the Council. Freaking Eb has used black magic by those standards, and he is on the Senior Council! Cowl's magic does not reek. It merely is tainted, much like Harry and Eb and probably Molly. He could very well be still hiding and an active member on the Council. The White Council is so arrogant they couldn't imagine anyone had infiltrated them, and look how far Peabody got. Not to mention how many other agents are likely on the Council. Cristos comes to mind, and he certainly has some shady support (which if you cast your mind back, apprehended younger Wardens at the end of Changes). I think we are about to learn a lot about what has happened to the White Council in the time between Changes and now. And I reckon Cristos will be more powerful and influential than ever.

It could also just be another Cowl acolyte, or another "Black Council" operative. That is just as likely as not.

It could be those same humans that aided the Red Court during the war. Almost certainly the same group.

And for those that were wondering about the Fomor-Outsider connection, I did post a WAG a while back but I might post an updated version in light of some new information and thoughts. But what I will say for now is that there is a clear link that these groups are all being pushed around from behind the scenes, and the Fomor seem to have taken the place of the "face" of the enemy whilst the real foe stays in the shadows. And I think the Fomor have been linked with the strangeness in the supernatural world of recent times, and every time things get weird (for the supernatural world) Outsiders always seem to be involved.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 02:32:36 AM »
I think that is too simple for the story line.  As in just because we haven't seen Cowl in a while he'd be the one behind the Outsiders coming to the party.  I doubt that he could hide himself among the White Council, he totally reeks of black magic.   He could have a spy though.
We actually do not see him use that much black magic. He usually hates some monsters in to do his killing and he did not raise zombies in dead beat. Peabody did a lot of black magic undetected inside council headquarters for years.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 03:51:35 AM »
I think Marcone has too much common sense to mix with Outsiders. Of course, I could be wrong, but that is what I think
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 04:51:57 AM »
Excellent points both, Dina and Arjan.

Although Arjan I believe Cowl did use necromancy in Dead Beat (both early in the book and later on). I don't believe him summoned spirits or zombies though. He seems to have a very different view of it than Grevane and Corpsetaker. Consider his student's views. I don't think there was a specific passage describing him doing it, but I think it was implied a few times. Except of course for when he actually did the Darkhallow. That was using a specific onscreen use of necromancy.

And Peabody is an excellent example of black magic going undetected, or at least its origin misdirected.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 09:04:44 AM »
I think Marcone has too much common sense to mix with Outsiders. Of course, I could be wrong, but that is what I think
It also does not agree with all his curent alliances. Gard, Vadderung, Mab, Hades,....

They would all desert him and become his enemies.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 11:57:58 AM »
And Peabody is an excellent example of black magic going undetected, or at least its origin misdirected.

But did Peabody actually do black magic?   He used ink that was laced with a potion that could
make others submit to his will,  a love potion can be said to do the same thing.  Remember Harry
made a love potion in Storm Front, he was under the Doom at the time.  He was just playing around
in his lab at the time, now if it was black magic easily detectable, would he even consider it?  Morgan
would have taken his head in a heart beat.  So it may not be strictly legal, but at the same time not
be considered black magic.   Also when Harry first meets Cowl he describes his aura as reeking of black magic..  It leaves stains that cannot be removed..  Even Harry carries some stains.  So I doubt that Cowl could go into the Council undetected, now he might have a follower or two who could get
away with it.