Author Topic: What would the Vord eat, if they won?  (Read 7006 times)

Offline Dagroth

• Participant
    • View Profile
What would the Vord eat, if they won?
« on: January 15, 2020, 12:26:31 AM »
I get the impression, that the Vord's goal is total eradication of all life that's not them.

So, if they achieved it, what would they eat?

Those in Wax Forest, back in "Furies of Calderon", seemed to be surviving on animals that fell or wandered in (like that crow whom Tavi tried to free from the Croach), and the occasional Marat, who failed to stay sneaky enough and was caught (Kitai said something about it, as far as I remember).

But if they killed everything there is to kill, and covered all the ground with Croach, it seems there'd be nothing left for them to eat.

Well, there were trees in Wax Forest (if they were still alive), but I got the impression Vord are carnivores, or at least getting whatever food they keep in and transport through the Croach from animals & people, not plants.

In fact, what did they eat in the areas they conquered and covered in Croach (like the majority of Alera at the time of Third Calderon) ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:28:14 AM by Dagroth »

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
Re: What would the Vord eat, if they won?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:41:36 AM »
Well, I'd assume once they got to the very end and there was absolutely nothing left, they'd just eat each other, and then die. Unless they somehow achieved space travel/interdimensional travel. The Vord aren't designed to be a never ending story. They live, kill, eat, and then die. There's no real happy ending for them.

But that would be several centuries down the line. There's still a lot of land left for them to conquer if they win Third Calderon. The Marat lands for sure, and then whatever is past that, all around the globe. So yes, eventually, they starve and die.
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 08:59:27 PM »
My belated understanding is that the croach is photosynthetic; it CAN sustain itself on light alone, it just drastically speeds up if it can eat others.

And who knows, maybe if it has noone to eat, it has to break down trace elements from soil, which it is bad at but can still sort of do.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »
The Vord eat the croach. Remember the Vord Queen served it in those bizarre dinners she had with her captives.

If they won the battle and eliminated all their enemies, they could drastically reduce their population at the command of the Queen(s).