Author Topic: Monster mash  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Monster mash
« on: November 11, 2019, 03:34:43 AM »
Hello everybody! Hope everyone is doing well and are in good health. So a friend of mines plans to host a dresden game where the criteria is to pick a legend (preferably folklore or myth) and build a character around. 40 refresh and 155 skillpoints. Ladder starts from 8 straight down.

So far a few folks I know are going to be evil out the box (players chose to want to play cthulu, lucifer and krampus respectively) so I expect to deal with alot of the bs from their actions. Not sure about the others but either way I would like to be prepped and ready to have to deal with such heavyweights. An I would like to see how would a character be optimised for such a high refresh game

The character idea I had in mind was a 7th son of a 7th son who specialized in killing supernatural creatures. Saw the I have the shell for that stunt in book 3 and it gave me alot of ideas. Just not sure how to execute it properly though. Thank you in advance and I welcome all input!

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster mash
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:53:57 PM »
HC: Heaven' gunslingin artificer
Trouble:Foe to supernatural threats
Guns. Lots of Guns.
Knowledge is the great equalizer
Progressive technomancer

8 Guns, Athlets, Lore
7 Convic, Disc, Invest
6 Alert, Steal, Resour
5 Emp, Rapp, Craft
4 Contac, Endur, Might
3 Burg, Schol, Survi
2 Weap, Drive, Intim
1 Fist, Perf, Deceit

Powers(still working on this list, can be adjusted)
Mythic speed -6
Wizard con -0
Thaumaturgy -3 (+1 in crafting frequency) gave up focus items for 4 potion slots
Guide my hand -1
The sight -1
Cloak of shadows -1
Refinement -10
Blessed touch(the improved version of holy touch that had way more usage on the other website, than the canon one. Ran it by my dm and he ramped up the cost of it dramatically.) 5

+8 to crafting power
+6 to crafting frequency
16 enchanted item slots

Total item creation
16 power/ 9 uses per session

Stunts
I have just the shell
Sniper
Gun akimbo
Fast reload

Be prepared: +1 to rolls to determine the catch of an enemy's toughness and recovery powers and +1 to declarations that would satisfy it.

Not easily broken: when an opponent tags or invokes one of your consequences when attacking you, they only receive +1 to their roll. If they choose to reroll, you may lock down one of their dice and leave them to reroll the other 3.

This is what I have currently, though I do feel that it can be vastly improved on. My main goal was to create a focused crafter since I came across builds by the name of Kara Avani and the The Mandarin. An wanted to tailor make it to guns since I have been playing weapon users most; if not majority of the time. An I wanted to change it up. Though the math at the time for the items confused me greatly.

I also have questions like how does the math for creating items of power work? Because I saw in the Kara build that she had built into her armor that it allowed her to pump her crafting power focus by 3, but I don't know how that is calculated.

Are their high refresh builds on this website? An if so can I get a link?

How can I narrow my focus while still being useful without ending up being a bloody smear by folks who put their all in evocation?

Also, pertaining to enchanted items, does the strength of the item determine the aim of the item? Or do I still have to aim with the appropriate roll? Like say I created a 16 power bullet for example, is the number for the attack roll start at 16 or how does that work? Just wanted to make sure I understand this perfectly well so  I have my math or knowledge properly done.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Monster mash
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
I can help you with crafting stuff.  You aim enchanted items with whatever skill is most appropriate.  So, guns with a gun or discipline if you need to focus on the item to trigger it or cast it.

You can have high powered blocking items and weapons but your aiming won’t increase the same way a dedicated caster will.  Which makes them a bit broken at this level of refresh. 

7th sons of 7th sons are super lucky so I’d make sure you had lots of FPs to spend on stuff. 

One way to boost accuracy is to make skill replacement items which could let you replace your dice roll with a straight 16 accuracy gun skill.  Ask your Dm if you can combine that with a weapon item.  So a gun that lets you do a 16 shift skill replacement that’s loaded with a weapon 16 bullet. 

It’s powerful but you’re using two charges each attack and enchanted items only refresh at the end of a scenario.

Alternatively, you could give yourself an item of power with True Aim and that will give you a +1 to hit for a total of +9.  Maybe a stunt or two to boost it to +10 or 11 depending on the stunt