Author Topic: Which god do you want to see in Dresden Files?  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Which god do you want to see in Dresden Files?
« on: October 01, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »
So by the Wrestling book we'll see a few more Gods which one do you want to see the most?

Personally I'm interested in the Greek Gods family dynamic as according to Jim Hades, is the sane one and has made analogies to Arrested Development.

However I'd also be interested in the Titans, as presumably they're some of the Old Ones humanity hasn't forgotten yet. So the Venatori and the Archive haven't been successful against them, so maybe we get to see more of the Oblivion War as well.

I also hope we see some of the Egyptian gods. The Egyptian Pantheon religion lasted for twice that of Christianity, assuming you discount Jewish tradition.Personally I think the Spear of Osiris was the Egyptian version of a Knight of the Cross. Also we know Father Forthill and some other priests have tattoos of the Eye of Horus so we might get some more significant information about that as well.

Anyway thoughts? Theories? Which god(s) and why?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Which god do you want to see in Dresden Files?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:24:25 PM »
Jim's dropped a lot of breadcrumbs about Egypt, so off to the Giza Plateau.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »
Jim's dropped a lot of breadcrumbs about Egypt, so off to the Giza Plateau.

This, I think (based (as you say) upon the breadcrumbs).

We've got plenty of Native American waiting in the wings for LtW and/or GG to usher it onstage... let's see what the naagloshi-scion story brings us, dropping in just a week or so!  This is what I'd most like to see explored (of the likely breadcrumbs dropped)! 

I'd also like to see some Hindu material come forward.  I don't think we've had ANY breadcrumbs there, however...?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 12:19:59 AM »
We're going to be restricted to "dead" religions as Jim doesn't want to mess around with anything that important to anyone if he isn't intimately familiar with, so Hinduism is out.

Egyptian sounds good. Thoth is one I'd like to see. "He was the god of wisdom, writing, hieroglyphs, science, magic, art, judgment, and the dead." - Wikipedia. Any god of magic could be fun.

Greek, Norse, and Egyptian gods are the ones we usually see. Probably because we know more about them than most old religions.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 06:50:07 AM »
Pretty much all of them tbh. Definitely the Greco-Roman pantheon, more Norse, more Egyptian and even South American and North American. Indian, Chinese, Celtic, Australian Aborigine all would be good. Also ancient Sumerian and Mesopotamian.

You have to have Zeus and Poseiden (now we have Hades) and Cronus. You have to have Thor. Horus and Set, Ra and Apep/Apophis, Osiris and Isis.

Also Bad Alias - Hinduism used to be out. But no longer, more recent interviews have Jim saying he would like to do Hindu gods and goddesses. I think he has gotten more confident and learned some more stuff about Hindu culture, so perhaps he is feeling like he can now he is older and wiser. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »
So many Gods, so few books to shoe horn them into.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
So many Gods, so few books to shoe horn them into.

Gods own truth!

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
Also Bad Alias - Hinduism used to be out. But no longer, more recent interviews have Jim saying he would like to do Hindu gods and goddesses. I think he has gotten more confident and learned some more stuff about Hindu culture, so perhaps he is feeling like he can now he is older and wiser.
Is it on youtube? If it wasn't, I didn't see it.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
Is it on youtube? If it wasn't, I didn't see it.

2008 Comic-Con Q&A @2:40
You use a lot of mythologies in your books.  Which is your favorite to work with, and how do you chose them?
I wish I could give you a cool sophisticated answer for that…  (he basically says what he uses is based on the story, and trying to be original).  Things that I want to use that I haven’t gotten to are:  A little bit more Hindu stuff. Hindu Mythos is full and rich and confusing, they have been doing the supernatural soap opera thing way before any of us got started with it on TV.  I haven’t gotten to do as much Norse stuff (note this was before changes).  I haven’t gotten to do as much Greek stuff as I wanted to do which is why I added the hekitean (msp?) hags in Welcome to the Jungle.  Warhammer fans will recognize some of the names I dropped in Dead Beat

That's one that I remember, but there are a few more. I have put in italics the relevant bit. :)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
I'd love some Egyptian deities, or to go deeper into the Tuatha, or some of the eastern-central European pagan gods. Epona would be cool, if only because there've been rumors of an ancient Epona cult, with people who shaved the sides of their heads and grown out their crowns super long to mimic horse manes, colored white. Basically, Kitai's haircut. And Epona is the only Celtic/Gallic deity I can recall who was brought back to Rome and added to their pantheon without totally altering the god's story or purpose.

There's also lots of stuff that's pretty much untouched from Russia/Ukraine/Slovenia, etc.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
If it's Egyptian dieties, I'd like to see Sekhmet, and maybe possibly Horus. Set is overplayed imho.
But mainly, I'd like to see Ra' give Harry some sunlight when it's desperately needed as in "Turn darkness into light", for a heavy price ofc.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »
I'd quite like a Greek/Latin goddess annoyed (or happy!) because she wasn't included/sacrificed in the twice-triple Faerie queendom. Mab has strong Athena and Hera tendencies (perhaps an uncorrupted Lady would be more similar to Athena?), and the Queens of Summer seem to have aspects of Artemis (Lady) and Demeter (Queen), and the Mothers are apparently Hecate and the Fates, but there's no obvious Aphrodite.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
Hephaestus as a kind of Dresden-verse iteration of Q, forging magic weapons and trinkets for Harry in exchange for... uh... I don't know. Something.

He'd also be an interesting villain, since Heph had a bunch of automatons working for him.

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
The Greek goddess of divine retribution and revenge, Nemesis.

Oh wait.....

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 08:15:10 AM »
The Greek goddess of divine retribution and revenge, Nemesis.

Oh wait.....

Well done.