Author Topic: What Role was Molly being prepared for?  (Read 10585 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
What Role was Molly being prepared for?
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:11:25 AM »
Mab said she had another role in mind for Molly before Molly became the Winter Lady.  What Role did Mab orginally have in mind for Molly.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What Role was Molly being prepared for?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 03:15:52 AM »
Mab said she had another role in mind for Molly before Molly became the Winter Lady.  What Role did Mab orginally have in mind for Molly.
Winter Knight.

In the likely case that Ghost-Harry (the n00b) didn't survive coming into conflict with the senior necromancer that he didn't even know he would be facing...

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure Mab said she thought Molly would be more suited for summer.  Having a connection with the Summer Lady would certainly be useful for Mab.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »
The Summer Lady needed to be replaced anyway.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »
The Summer Lady needed to be replaced anyway.
The replacement oft the Summer Lady was not planned by Mab. She intended Sarissa to replace Maeve. Only Maeve killed Lily first, so that Sarissa became the Summer Lady instead.
Or do you mean that Mab had planned to replace both Ladies? First Maeve by Sarissa and some time after that Lily by Molly? Because Lily wasn't doing so well? Wouldn't this be more Titania's decision?

Can the Winter Knight even be a woman? Has the Lady always to be female?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 02:12:57 PM »
The replacement oft the Summer Lady was not planned by Mab. She intended Sarissa to replace Maeve. Only Maeve killed Lily first, so that Sarissa became the Summer Lady instead.
Or do you mean that Mab had planned to replace both Ladies? First Maeve by Sarissa and some time after that Lily by Molly? Because Lily wasn't doing so well? Wouldn't this be more Titania's decision?

I got the impression that Mab did want Lily replaced at some point and wanted Molly in that role.  She wanted Sarissa for Winter Lady but I don't think she had her convinced yet to take that role.  Which then brings up the question since she needed for Maeve to die, what exactly did she have planned?  Was she going to leave the Winter Lady role empty until Sarissa was ready?  Just what would she have done about Lily if Maeve hadn't killed her?  Because no way could she have ordered Harry to do it, because she'd then run into the same problems that happened when she was accused of ordering or killing the Summer Knight back in Summer Knight, it would have meant war.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:22:25 PM »
Because no way could she have ordered Harry to do it, because she'd then run into the same problems that happened when she was accused of ordering or killing the Summer Knight back in Summer Knight, it would have meant war.
The war was to address the imbalance because someone stole the Mantle of Summer Knight. Would there have been a war regardless? Maybe, but I don't think so. I can't remember where, but there is a line that most Knights are taken out by their counterpart.

Mab said that Molly was better suited to Summer. Mab usually doesn't do something with one plan in mind. She sets things up so that if she loses, she still wins.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »
There was a whole book about the Summer Knight being a woman, so I assume the Winter Knight could be too, yes.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 06:36:29 PM »
There was a whole book about the Summer Knight being a woman, so I assume the Winter Knight could be too, yes.
You mean Lily? I remember a discussion not long ago. I'm not sure she really was the Knight. Imho the Mantle might have been temporarily stored in her body. Why didn't they let her remain the Knight? I can't remember exactly how it was.
 Instead she became the Lady and Fix became the Knight.
Aurora got killed and than...? That was while Lily was still a statue? Where did the Lady Mantle go to in the meanwhile? The Unraveling turned Lily back. What happened to the Knight's Mantle? Didn't it go back to Mab or Titania? Did it do so, because the Queen(s) wanted it to or because Lily wasn't the right person anyway (i.e. female) and her turning to stone prevented the Mantle from leaving before? So Lily was free to receive the Lady Mantle.
Or did Mab actively call the Knight Mantle to her (or was it to Titania???) because they preferred a more suitable host regardless of the gender?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »
The war was to address the imbalance because someone stole the Mantle of Summer Knight. Would there have been a war regardless? Maybe, but I don't think so. I can't remember where, but there is a line that most Knights are taken out by their counterpart.

Mab said that Molly was better suited to Summer. Mab usually doesn't do something with one plan in mind. She sets things up so that if she loses, she still wins.

Yes, I think there would have been war or other serious repercussions for Mab, that is why she wanted so badly for Harry to clear her of the crime.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »

Titania was not doing anything and that made the situation worse. Yes I think she was planning to replace Lilly as well.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »
You mean Lily? I remember a discussion not long ago. I'm not sure she really was the Knight. Imho the Mantle might have been temporarily stored in her body. Why didn't they let her remain the Knight? I can't remember exactly how it was.
Aurora got killed and than...? That was while Lily was still a statue? Where did the Lady Mantle go to in the meanwhile? The Unraveling turned Lily back. What happened to the Knight's Mantle? Didn't it go back to Mab or Titania? Did it do so, because the Queen(s) wanted it to or because Lily wasn't the right person anyway (i.e. female) and her turning to stone prevented the Mantle from leaving before? So Lily was free to receive the Lady Mantle.
Or did Mab actively call the Knight Mantle to her (or was it to Titania???) because they preferred a more suitable host regardless of the gender?
I just don't see how Lily could contain the Summer Knight without BEING the Summer Knight; she was human enough and had the mantle, it seems weird to claim she then wasn't the Knight.

And IIRC, the Mantle went from Reuel to Aurora to Lily, as in the Knight reverted to the nearest Summer queen when the Knight died. I think the Knight mantle passed from Lily to Fix by Lily's will, her being the Summer Lady could hold the Mantle and send it out.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure there's WOJ that the Lady must be female.

Given that Lily was (however briefly while conscious) an acceptable host for the summer knight mantle, it seems safe to assume winter's knight mantle is also at least capable of going to a woman. Though based on the psychological profile Winter seems to prefer, they might have a stronger bias to choosing male knights than summer.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 05:34:22 PM »
The Summer Knight died, and the mantle went to Aurora. Aurora made Lily the Summer Knight and turned her to stone. Aurora used the unraveling to turn Lily back in order to kill her. Harry killed Aurora first. The Summer Lady mantle went to Lily. Lily retained the Summer Knight mantle. She then chose Fix as her Knight.

The only part of that that is conjecture is that Lily was the Summer Knight, but until someone convinces me there is a reason to believe the could receive the mantle without either becoming the Summer Knight or already being a Summer Queen, I'm don't see a reason to entertain the idea.

Yes, I think there would have been war or other serious repercussions for Mab, that is why she wanted so badly for Harry to clear her of the crime.
What Mab wanted when the Mantle was missing and therefore there was an imbalance isn't evidence that Winter killing a Summer Knight would have serious repercussions for Mab.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 08:59:27 PM »
What Mab wanted when the Mantle was missing and therefore there was an imbalance isn't evidence that Winter killing a Summer Knight would have serious repercussions for Mab.

That alone would have serious repercussion for Mab.. That was the whole point of the murder in the first place.