Author Topic: DragonCon  (Read 28189 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DragonCon
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 10:48:56 AM »
This, while somewhat relevant to the topic, feels like a diversion from the OP. And while I am sure it is important as a discussion, let's stay on topic if we can. This is starting to feel like it might approach an issue, which does no one any good.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2019, 05:54:35 AM »
Right. I think I've only mentioned twice or thrice already how helpful that particular panel was for aspiring writers, so I think I'll mention it one more time, since I think it was that good.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2019, 07:00:59 AM »
Don't misunderstand me, I thoroughly enjoyed that panel - being an aspiring writer myself. Personally, whilst I understand the arguments by those who take issue with the title of said panel, I am not particularly bothered by it. But that's just me. I think we all need to not sweat the small stuff as much, myself.

But it wasn't a dig at you in particular magnuskn - I more meant for everyone just to move on. This isn't the right area for such a discussion as there are other areas of the boards for this - and it is just good form to stick to the main discussion in the thread, in general. Which is not me trying to silence good debate either. Just there is a place for it and it isn't here. That's all I will say on the matter. But let's not get this locked.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
I wasn't taking it as a dig, so no problem here. I just wanted to once again say how great the panel was. If anybody hasn't watched it yet, they should. Another panel by Jim Butcher from some years ago was the final push which got me to working on a book and this panel would have done the same if I hadn't watched that other panel some 15 months ago.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:18:57 PM by magnuskn »

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »
Coming back one more time to that particular panel, one of the things Jim said was that he writes very detailed chapter outlines and then this makes it easy for him to write that chapter in one go.

I wonder if he ever has published one of those detailed chapter outlines, because I think it would help me a lot with my process. If any anybody has a link to that, I'd really appreciate it if s/he could share it (if it exists at all, of course).

If there is no such published chapter outline, then if there is to be a Peace Talks AMA on Reddit, like the one he did for the release of Brief Cases, I think I will ask if he can publish a detailed chapter outline for one of his prior books (or for Peace Talks, after publication) on the website.