Author Topic: Info about Peace Talks from Reading the WoJ section  (Read 15095 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Info about Peace Talks from Reading the WoJ section
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2019, 02:57:11 AM »
Gonna add a column of data...

No.   Title                   Release date        AGONIZING WAIT
1   Storm Front    April 1, 2000
2   Fool Moon            Jan. 1, 2001        9 mo   
3   Grave Peril    Sep. 1, 2001        8 mo
4   Summer Knight    Sep. 3, 2002      12 mo
5   Death Masks    Aug. 5, 2003        11 mo
6   Blood Rites    Aug. 2, 2004       12 mo
7   Dead Beat            May 3, 2005          9 mo
8   Proven Guilty    May 2, 2006         12 mo
9   White Night    April 3, 2007         11 mo
10   Small Favor    April 1, 2008         12 mo
11   Turn Coat            April 7, 2009         12 mo
12   Changes            April 6, 2010         12 mo
13   Ghost Story    July 26, 2011        15 mo
14   Cold Days            Nov. 27, 2012       16 mo
15   Skin Game    May 27, 2014        18 mo
16    Peace Talks        ???                       ???

I suspect that the relatively-minor extra time for GS/CD/SG was for the complexity of laying down some pre-BAT material, and revising for consistency (per Beta feedback) with the ever-increasing canon... but maybe it was (in part or whole) dealing with some of the early stages of how things went so badly for him in this latest interregnum.

Also remember, his editor isn't a machine, either, and we don't know how much of a delay can be laid at the doors of after-Jim-hands-over-the-MS. people...

I doubt we'll ever get back to the days of 12-months-or-less-per-book, but I think 15-16 months is a reasonable hope.

ETA:  Columnation... really sux.  I swear, it looks fine in my compose/edit window!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:12:37 AM by g33k »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2019, 02:17:40 PM »

I doubt we'll ever get back to the days of 12-months-or-less-per-book, but I think 15-16 months is a reasonable hope.

No, that was back in the days when Jim had a lot fewer irons in the fire...  He is a good writer and a productive one, but a novel takes a lot of focus, a long series with lots of interdependent detail takes a lot of focus because his readers really notice if he screws up..

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »
Butters needed to be skeptical of Harry so he could learn to have faith in something bigger than himself.  That needed to happen for Butters to become KotC.
Especially since the sword was the Sword of Faith.

@CrusherJen: It is my understanding that the Betas get the book one chapter at a time as Jim finishes the chapter.

@g33k: We could figure it out because Jim says when he finishes each book (I'm not sure how far that goes back, though).

I do agree that the books are going to take longer to write for all the reasons stated, but I do think 15-16 is a reasonable hope.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 07:34:06 PM »
In the original forum I posted a thread where I compared when Jim posted "The End" on twitter for each novel and compared it to the actual release date of the novel.  I think I went back as far as Blood Rites or Death Masks.  The record time was a little less than three months.  Jim typed "The End" in the first or second week of January and it was released in early April.  I think that might have been for Changes, but my memory is a little sketchy on that one.  The average amount of waiting was about six months.  A couple of novels took as long as nine months to the release date and I believe Cold Days took over a year.  There were several other Dresden Files books that only required four months from "The End" to release date.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »
I remember that.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
No, that was back in the days when Jim had a lot fewer irons in the fire...  He is a good writer and a productive one, but a novel takes a lot of focus, a long series with lots of interdependent detail takes a lot of focus because his readers really notice if he screws up.

Well, Dresden is only going to be every-other novel; Jim has explicitly said he plans to alternate DF/CS novels.  If my 15-16 month-per-novel estimate is correct, 2.5 years will be the "new normal"(ish) between DF novels.

But I believe his Beta-Readers provide a lot of continuity/canon support, so Jim doesn't have to spend too much of his time on tracking down & verifying all the details.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »
Honestly, I think our collective mental well-being would be better served if we all just planned for a new Dresden novel every... four years or so, if we're going to start projecting when we can read the next book. That way it'll be a GREAT surprise when it comes out a year later, or won't be disappointing if it takes three, because, hey, I assumed it would take a year LONGER!

(But secretly I'm hoping Jim returns to his Codex Alera/DF output and produces two awesome novels every year).

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2019, 04:12:53 PM »
... I think our collective mental well-being would be better served ...
  :o
Stop yucking my obsessive yum !!!   >:(

;)