Author Topic: White Knight/Ghost Story Query  (Read 2494 times)

Offline astralwanderer

• Participant
    • View Profile
White Knight/Ghost Story Query
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:31:04 AM »
Any theories as to why White Knight and Ghost Story are the only books with white spines? If it was *just* Ghost Story, then I'd attribute it to the being dead thing, but having White Knight as well raises suspicions

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: White Knight/Ghost Story Query
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 03:33:04 PM »
Are all the other books black with some color? Not at home, and one of my books doesn't have the dust jacket. When you're buying 14 books at once, used is a very economical option.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into the colors of the dust jackets. I read an interview of Chris McGrath (at http://www.fantasyliterature.com/author-interviews/chris-mcgrath/) where he talks about the design process. The publisher usually gives him a summary of what the book is about, and he works from that. He doesn't always get to read a manuscript first. So I don't think it's anything more than "this color looks good with that artwork."

I still like the theory. It would be lovely if the covers did give us more hints to what's coming up in the book. Peace Talks feels so far away...

@Bad Alias: I just took a look at my hardcovers. They have black spines, but the front covers tend to be shaded to match (or set off) their artwork.
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
Never thought about that. OK, I realized they were both white, but I always thought it was the artists way to express the title. I mean White and Ghost in the titles would make me paint white too.

Peace Talks also feels kind of white to me... because of the white flag ;). With the title in yellow or black.
In the background some kind of amphitheatre with lots of shadowy figures sitting and standing and Harry (with hat, because on the cover he always wears one) slowly walking towards them. With his back to the viewer.
This would be my cover.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:42:34 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 03:47:39 AM »
I'm picturing this I'm my head, and I love it. I cannot wait for this book!
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites