Author Topic: Mort's House in Ghost Story  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Mort's House in Ghost Story
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:27:18 PM »
No, not the thing about it being the wrong house.

How did the lemurs get in? Has anyone come up with a theory? Has Jim said anything? It's unusual for Jim to "break" the rules he's set up with out explaining how the rules were never actually broken later on in the same book, but I don't recall anything like that. Did I just miss something?

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
Re: Mort's House in Ghost Story
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
If Mort was using his home as a business, it would weaken the threshold around it.  Add in, I don't think the lemurs got inside.  They had mortal thugs go inside and take Mort.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
There was definitely a mortal presence when Mort got kidnapped: someone had to light the fire circle that trapped Sir Stuart.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
I thought Mort had a more-or-less general invitation for spirits to come to him (to avoid them doing any harm) as well.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
I'm probably going to have to reread and circle back to this topic. (It may be after Peace Talks that I get around to that).

My recollection is that the lemurs and wraiths couldn't get in his house, but did come in on the final night. This would likely mean the spell Mort had wouldn't matter. I also recall that Sir Stuart had to (or at least did) invite Harry in.

Offline Maz

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
Lemurs didn't come in if memory serves me correctly.  It was mortal thugs.  Hence, why Sir Stuart didn't defend Mort but instead Mort had to invoke Sir Stuart's spirit into his own body so that he could use Sir Stuart's martial skills to fight them off?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 02:40:46 AM »
That's at the beginning. I'm talking about at the end when Sir Stuart trapped in a circle of fire.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 02:46:04 AM »
In the final attack, it was just the Grey Ghost and Big Hoods.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
Lemurs might not have gotten in but Mort wouldn't have needed Stuart if the threshold could have kept them out.  And Mort's room was painted with ghost dust.  I think Stuart was a filter, there to separate the ones Mort wanted to call in with his beacon and the ones Mort couldn't help like the lemurs.