Author Topic: Who knows what Ivy REALLY is?  (Read 3856 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Who knows what Ivy REALLY is?
« on: July 31, 2019, 12:13:00 AM »
Ivy, we all know, is "the Archive."

Luccio explains part of what that means, to Harry; so, the WC knows that much.  Probably most signatories to the Accords understand (more or less) about the Archive knowing everything that's written.

But (so far as I can see) "the Archive" is also the supreme commander of the Oblivion War.  At the least, she is an integral part of it, and high up in the echelons.

Who knows that information?  Very few folks even know the "Oblivion War" even exists.  Thomas and Lara, I think, are the ones in the stories Jim has told to date (and Bob, now), but I don't think ANY of them know Ivy's role (I suspect Bob may be able to deduce it).  Ivy probably (IMHO) has told Kinkaid:  we don't know if she has, but it would make good sense for her primary defender to be best aware of likely opponents.  And he doesn't need to actually know the dangerous information -- names, summoning rituals, etc -- to understand the threats & the context.

And I think that's it?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Who knows what Ivy REALLY is?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 01:20:59 AM »
I think there was a WOJ about Kincaid doing dead drops of instructions for her Venators but not knowing what or why. He'd have figured out she's running agents, but I don't think he knows the big picture.

I doubt she really has regular problems with cultists trying to cap her that she needs Kincaid to defend against. The nature of her role is that she has to keep it secret because as soon as one cult found out about her, they'd contact all the others to gang up on her in numbers even Kincaid wouldn't be much help against. The fact that the Archive has endured for millennia is itself pretty suggestive that the hosts have all managed to preserve secrecy from her direct adversaries. Bob might indeed have an educated guess, though. And while the Denarians had ample reason to try to forcibly recruit her even without knowing, she's an even greater prize if they did know.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »
@Snark Knight: I hadn't heard that one.

@g33k: I do recall a WoJ that Kincaid didn't know her/its true nature.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »
The real question is whether or not I'm correct in my headcanon that those afflicted with Cassandra's Tears are actually descended from past Archives who did not receive it, and their premonitions work the same way as the Pythias (previous Archives) did.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 06:21:18 AM »
The real question is whether or not I'm correct in my headcanon that those afflicted with Cassandra's Tears are actually descended from past Archives who did not receive it, and their premonitions work the same way as the Pythias (previous Archives) did.

That'd make an excellent backup/safety mechanism.  All these folk with the relatively-minor gift of Cassandra's Tears, more pitied than anything else...

If someone *DOES* manage to kill the Archive's current incarnation before she has a child... maybe anyone with CT can host the Mantle, i.e. it just goes to the nearest person who "fits."

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 04:28:58 AM »
Vadderung and Rashid would know. Vadderung cause he's a professional mercenary spymaster. Rashid would need to know when the Archive confines a recent Outsider as they would be trying to get through the Outer Gates.