Author Topic: More Items of Power  (Read 16530 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
More Items of Power
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:08:15 AM »
I'm running yet another game, and this scenario is going to involve an auction and/or heist of items of power, so I'd like some feedback on these:

Earp’s Colt [-2]
Description: A Colt Buntline Special, long-barrel Colt .45 revolver, with a plaque in the handle reading, “Wyatt Earp Peacemaker From The Grateful People of Dodge City April 8th 1878”
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Guns, Fists
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Earp’s Colt seeks to defend law and order
[-0] It Is What It Is. A long-barrel Colt chambered in .45 with extra stopping power. Weapon: 3 projectile, Weapon:1 melee
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+1] One-Time Discount. Earp’s Colt is distinct, but as a handgun it’s not hard to conceal.
[-1] Give’em an ‘Earp’: Wyatt Earp was as well-known for smacking people over the head as he was for shooting them -- when you pistol-whip someone with Earp’s Colt and land a successful attack, you also inflict the fragile aspect, “Stunned”
[-1] “No!”: Wyatt Earp was never shot, despite throwing himself into numerous gunfights, including a crossfire that should have had him dead to rights. You gain +1 to Athletics rolls to avoid gunfire. (Note: Am considering making this Inhuman Toughness with the catch of 'Anything but gunfire'. Cost will be the same)
[-1] “Justice is Coming”: As a Venator, Wyatt was well known and feared among supernatural enemies. That fear and belief extends to his weapon. If you spend a fate point, attacks from Earp’s Colt bypasses one level of toughness for the scene, i.e., a creature with Supernatural Toughness is treated as having Inhuman when attacked with the Colt.

Culein’s Flute [-1 or -2]
Description: A flute made of Mythril, a faerie metal that glitters with the colors of the forest
Skills Affected: Performance
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Culein’s Flute seeks to enchant those who hear it
[-0] It Is What It Is. A flute that plays enchanting notes
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. The flute is large and even in a case, people will notice it.
[-3] Pied Piper, Eat Your Heart Out: By playing Culein’s Flute, the user can entice people to follow them, or to run away, at range. The player gets a +2 to either Performance to create a temporary aspect on a person. If the player attempts to create an aspect on a zone, there is no bonus. The player decides which effect to inflict before rolling.
[-4] Bardic Faerie Magic: Replaces Pied Piper. With training and attunement, Culein’s Flute offers the user magic sponsored by the bards of the wyldfae.
Benefits: The user can use Performance instead of Discipline, and Presence instead of Conviction, when casting spells. The caster also gets +1 to spell power when casting enchantments.
Item Slots: The user gets 4 Focus Slots, minus 2 if they already have either Evocation or Thaumaturgy. No focus slots if they already have both.
Agenda: Culein and the bards of the Wyld seek to enchant and seduce. They have an image to keep up, and wielders find themselves pulled toward such.
Evothaum: The user can cast certain Thaumaturgy spells with the speed and methods of evocation, such as Conjuration and Veils.

Sin’s Charm [-1]
Description: A cube made of a black substance, with a reddish shine
Skills Affected: any
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Sin’s Charm seeks to bring good fortune to its users and corrupt them
[-0] It Is What It Is. A black cube, easily mistaken for a single unmarked die.
[+0] One-Time Discount. It’s tiny and easily concealed.
[-1] The Devil’s Own Luck: Once per session, after rolling, you may freely reroll any number of your dice. However, using this takes a toll on the user -- immediately after the roll is resolved, Sin’s Charm hits the the user with a psychic attack equal to the roll’s total. Any consequences resulting from this attack must be aligned with whichever of the seven deadly sins closest matches the intent behind the action (i.e., attacking = Wrath; Rapport = Lust; pickpocketing = Envy, etc.). The user can use this effect again at the cost of one mental stress per use.

Collar of the Beasts [-1]
Description: A leather collar with a loop for a tag or bell.
Musts: You must have an aspect justifying your possession of the item
Skills Affected: Investigation, Rapport, Empathy, other social skills
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. The collar seeks mastery over beasts.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It is a leather collar, worn around the neck.
[+1] One-Time Discount. As a small item, the collar can be hidden, but its powers only take effect when it’s worn around the throat.
[-2] Echoes of Many Beasts: Once per day, the user can declare what kind of beast the collar emulates. The user must wait until the next sunrise to change the animal -- and the animal type is reflected by a charm that manifests on the loop.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: More Items of Power
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 05:53:18 AM »
[-1] Give’em an ‘Earp’: Wyatt Earp was as well-known for smacking people over the head as he was for shooting them -- when you pistol-whip someone with Earp’s Colt and land a successful attack, you also inflict the fragile aspect, “Stunned”

Not keen on this. Once you have the option of making a maneuver + attack, why ever do one orthe other?

In this specific case the fact that it's on a weaker method of using the weapon might keep regular attacks in play, but it still obsoletes many maneuvers. And this Power would be pretty terrible in a different context.

[-1] “No!”: Wyatt Earp was never shot, despite throwing himself into numerous gunfights, including a crossfire that should have had him dead to rights. You gain +1 to Athletics rolls to avoid gunfire. (Note: Am considering making this Inhuman Toughness with the catch of 'Anything but gunfire'. Cost will be the same)
[-1] “Justice is Coming”: As a Venator, Wyatt was well known and feared among supernatural enemies. That fear and belief extends to his weapon. If you spend a fate point, attacks from Earp’s Colt bypasses one level of toughness for the scene, i.e., a creature with Supernatural Toughness is treated as having Inhuman when attacked with the Colt.

These seem weak.

+2 to dodge bullets would be a fine stunt, and "only against bullets" is a pretty textbook +5 Catch. If you convert this to a Toughness Power, it could be Mythic for the same cost.

+2 stress to targets with Toughness Powers would also be a fine stunt, and would be pretty clearly better than that Power. Also, that flavour text made me expect an Intimidation bonus.

[-3] Pied Piper, Eat Your Heart Out: By playing Culein’s Flute, the user can entice people to follow them, or to run away, at range. The player gets a +2 to either Performance to create a temporary aspect on a person. If the player attempts to create an aspect on a zone, there is no bonus. The player decides which effect to inflict before rolling.

Three Refresh for a stunt?

1 Refresh is plenty for "+2 to single-target maneuvers aimed to make someone follow you or flee". If anything, that's narrow for a stunt.

[-4] Bardic Faerie Magic: Replaces Pied Piper. With training and attunement, Culein’s Flute offers the user magic sponsored by the bards of the wyldfae.
Benefits: The user can use Performance instead of Discipline, and Presence instead of Conviction, when casting spells. The caster also gets +1 to spell power when casting enchantments.
Item Slots: The user gets 4 Focus Slots, minus 2 if they already have either Evocation or Thaumaturgy. No focus slots if they already have both.
Agenda: Culein and the bards of the Wyld seek to enchant and seduce. They have an image to keep up, and wielders find themselves pulled toward such.
Evothaum: The user can cast certain Thaumaturgy spells with the speed and methods of evocation, such as Conjuration and Veils.

Seems alright.

[-1] The Devil’s Own Luck: Once per session, after rolling, you may freely reroll any number of your dice. However, using this takes a toll on the user -- immediately after the roll is resolved, Sin’s Charm hits the the user with a psychic attack equal to the roll’s total. Any consequences resulting from this attack must be aligned with whichever of the seven deadly sins closest matches the intent behind the action (i.e., attacking = Wrath; Rapport = Lust; pickpocketing = Envy, etc.). The user can use this effect again at the cost of one mental stress per use.

My experience with Demonic Co-Pilot makes me suspicious of this one. I can't say for sure that it's a bad idea, though.

[-2] Echoes of Many Beasts: Once per day, the user can declare what kind of beast the collar emulates. The user must wait until the next sunrise to change the animal -- and the animal type is reflected by a charm that manifests on the loop.

I like this one.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »
Not keen on this. Once you have the option of making a maneuver + attack, why ever do one orthe other?

In this specific case the fact that it's on a weaker method of using the weapon might keep regular attacks in play, but it still obsoletes many maneuvers. And this Power would be pretty terrible in a different context.
What would you suggest, then? A straight bonus to maneuvers with the weapon, maybe?

These seem weak.

+2 to dodge bullets would be a fine stunt, and "only against bullets" is a pretty textbook +5 Catch. If you convert this to a Toughness Power, it could be Mythic for the same cost.
Fair point. I wouldn't want it to be Mythic toughness, since this is one of the items I expect one of the PCs to actually want.

+2 stress to targets with Toughness Powers would also be a fine stunt, and would be pretty clearly better than that Power. Also, that flavour text made me expect an Intimidation bonus.
Hm. I'm stuck here, because I wanted it to be something similar to the Sword of the Cross's power, but not as strong. I was trying to find a half-way point between that and something like Mouse's power.

Maybe make it The Catch, but only for a designated target? I'm taking this, in part, from the movie Tombstone, where Wyatt Earp goes on a revenge hunt against the gang that killed his brother.

Also, an intimidation bonus is a good idea. Maybe reflavor Marked by Power?

Three Refresh for a stunt?

1 Refresh is plenty for "+2 to single-target maneuvers aimed to make someone follow you or flee". If anything, that's narrow for a stunt.
I'm a little confused -- I was taking the pricing and effect more or less straight from Incite Emotion -- -1 for the base power (cause this one effect), -1 for the second effect, and -1 for doing so at range.

My experience with Demonic Co-Pilot makes me suspicious of this one. I can't say for sure that it's a bad idea, though.
Yeah, Demonic Co-Pilot is sort of what I was aiming for with this one, or at least a riff on that concept.

I like this one.
Thanks! I'm thinking in time this one might upgrade to include some shapeshifting powers (or something to straight up command the animal type it's currently emulating).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:36:29 PM »
What would you suggest, then? A straight bonus to maneuvers with the weapon, maybe?

Maybe a bonus to close-combat use of the gun?

Fair point. I wouldn't want it to be Mythic toughness, since this is one of the items I expect one of the PCs to actually want.

What's wrong with a bulletproof PC? They'll still be completely vulnerable to most attacks.

Hm. I'm stuck here, because I wanted it to be something similar to the Sword of the Cross's power, but not as strong. I was trying to find a half-way point between that and something like Mouse's power.

Maybe make it The Catch, but only for a designated target? I'm taking this, in part, from the movie Tombstone, where Wyatt Earp goes on a revenge hunt against the gang that killed his brother

Sure, that could work. Wouldn't even have to cost Refresh, things can just...be Catches.

Also, an intimidation bonus is a good idea. Maybe reflavor Marked by Power?

Sure, that could work.

I'm a little confused -- I was taking the pricing and effect more or less straight from Incite Emotion -- -1 for the base power (cause this one effect), -1 for the second effect, and -1 for doing so at range.

The whole point of Incite Emotion is that it lets you do something you couldn't normally do. Enticing people to follow you, or driving them away, is normal Performance stuff. I guess the idea is that this is a stronger control? It's not really clear.

Also, both those effects together seems narrower than a solid single effect like "fear".

Also also, Incite Emotion is usable for blocks. The +2 is actually really useful for that.

With all that in mind, how about...

[-2] Pied Piper, Eat Your Heart Out: By playing Culein’s Flute, you can force people to go where you want them to go. Use Performance + 2 for maneuvers and blocks that reflect this control.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 03:24:04 AM »
Maybe a bonus to close-combat use of the gun?
More of one than the weapon rating?

What's wrong with a bulletproof PC? They'll still be completely vulnerable to most attacks.
Fair point. Honestly I don't have them get shot at very often as it is.

Sure, that could work. Wouldn't even have to cost Refresh, things can just...be Catches.
I feel like being able to just point at a thing and declare, "I'm getting through whatever toughness power he has, without needing to find out what his catch is," is worth refresh.

I'll think on this one some more.

The whole point of Incite Emotion is that it lets you do something you couldn't normally do. Enticing people to follow you, or driving them away, is normal Performance stuff. I guess the idea is that this is a stronger control? It's not really clear.

Also, both those effects together seems narrower than a solid single effect like "fear".
Yeah, it's supposed to be stronger -- a literal enchantment forcing them to do one or the other.

Also also, Incite Emotion is usable for blocks. The +2 is actually really useful for that.

With all that in mind, how about...

[-2] Pied Piper, Eat Your Heart Out: By playing Culein’s Flute, you can force people to go where you want them to go. Use Performance + 2 for maneuvers and blocks that reflect this control.
All righty, I like that.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 05:53:15 AM »
More of one than the weapon rating?

Yeah. If there's no melee-enhancing Power, you're much better off firing the gun than swinging it. Even at an opponent who's within reach.

I feel like being able to just point at a thing and declare, "I'm getting through whatever toughness power he has, without needing to find out what his catch is," is worth refresh.

Oh, so the user gets to pick the target?

Then yeah, it should cost a fair bit. I was thinking that the designated target was pre-set by you.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »
Yeah. If there's no melee-enhancing Power, you're much better off firing the gun than swinging it. Even at an opponent who's within reach.
As I understand it IRL, he clocked people over the head as opposed to shooting and killing them. Like, in the movie, after Curly Bill kills the sheriff, Wyatt comes up behind him and KOs him in one shot.

Maybe a stress booster if you pistol whip someone from ambush?

Oh, so the user gets to pick the target?

Then yeah, it should cost a fair bit. I was thinking that the designated target was pre-set by you.
Yeah. Maybe something like Righteousness, where you can make some kind of vow of vengeance against someone, and as a result any attacks against them are Weapon:5 instead of Weapon:3?

I kinda like that one, gives it a boost against purely mortal opponents, too. -1 refresh?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 10:54:07 PM »
As I understand it IRL, he clocked people over the head as opposed to shooting and killing them. Like, in the movie, after Curly Bill kills the sheriff, Wyatt comes up behind him and KOs him in one shot.

Maybe a stress booster if you pistol whip someone from ambush?

Could work.

Rather narrow, though, so you'd want the bonus to be hefty.

Yeah. Maybe something like Righteousness, where you can make some kind of vow of vengeance against someone, and as a result any attacks against them are Weapon:5 instead of Weapon:3?

I kinda like that one, gives it a boost against purely mortal opponents, too. -1 refresh?

Sure, sounds good to me. Roughly stunt-equivalent.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 12:30:42 AM »
Could work.

Rather narrow, though, so you'd want the bonus to be hefty.
Maybe a +3? That brings the weapon rating up to 4, enough for a Taken Out to most humans.

Sure, sounds good to me. Roughly stunt-equivalent.
Cool.

How's this for wording?
[-1] “Justice is Coming”: Both men and supernatural creatures learned to fear the vengeance of Wyatt Earp. You can declare one creature as the object of your vengeance, until either you take out that creature, or you declare vengeance on something else. Guns attacks with Earp’s Colt against that creature are Weapon:5.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:45:50 AM by Mr. Death »

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 01:32:20 PM »
How's this for wording?
[-1] “Justice is Coming”: Both men and supernatural creatures learned to fear the vengeance of Wyatt Earp. You can declare one creature as the object of your vengeance, until either you take out that creature, or you declare vengeance on something else. Guns attacks with Earp’s Colt against that creature are Weapon:5.

This runs the chance of being overly broad. A player could declare vengeance on any character that is convenient and switch whenever they feel like it by this wording.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
This runs the chance of being overly broad. A player could declare vengeance on any character that is convenient and switch whenever they feel like it by this wording.
Yeah, I wasn't sure how to limit that, exactly. Suggestions are welcome.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't sure how to limit that, exactly. Suggestions are welcome.

The trick is probably to limit frequency of switching. Something like:

[-1] “Justice is Coming”: Both men and supernatural creatures learned to fear the vengeance of Wyatt Earp. You can declare one creature as the object of your vengeance, until either you take out that creature, or that creature somehow proves worthy of mercy. Guns attacks with Earp’s Colt against that creature are Weapon:5. You may choose one new creature as the target of this afterward.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 07:11:46 PM »
The trick is probably to limit frequency of switching. Something like:

[-1] “Justice is Coming”: Both men and supernatural creatures learned to fear the vengeance of Wyatt Earp. You can declare one creature as the object of your vengeance, until either you take out that creature, or that creature somehow proves worthy of mercy. Guns attacks with Earp’s Colt against that creature are Weapon:5. You may choose one new creature as the target of this afterward.
The only issue I have with that is, I like recurring villains -- so what happens if the player declares vengeance on a dude, they have a show-down, but the guy escapes through a Concession and doesn't show up for a couple scenarios? That'd effectively make this power useless in the meantime.

Maybe just make it, "until the end of a Scenario"?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 04:29:19 AM »
You could just require that they do something genuinely worthy of vengeance.

Maybe a +3? That brings the weapon rating up to 4, enough for a Taken Out to most humans.

Still seems rather anemic. It's really just +1 stress, and in the likely event that the character has Guns > Fists / Weapons it's actually still worse than just firing the thing.

How about making the gun weapon 3 when used as a club, letting people swing it with Guns, and giving it +2 stress when ambushing?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
Making it the equivalent of a stunt to use Guns skill in melee has its uses.  Like, when you want to take someone out quietly.