Author Topic: Jim may do a reading this weekend  (Read 4143 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Jim may do a reading this weekend
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:48:45 AM »
I saw on Jim's Twitter feed that he will be doing a book signing and possibly a reading this weekend at ConnectiCon in Hartford, CT.  So if you're near Hartford and you don't mind spoilers, you might get a chance to hear the first chapter; or two or three, of Peace Talks, because I can't think Jim would read from anything else.  He hasn't even started writing the next Cinder Spires book.

On ConnectiCon's website https://connecticon.org/ they have announced Jim as a surprise guest, but they haven't listed a schedule of what times he would appear.  Jim's tweet only said he will be at the Bard's Tower Booth.

I'm hoping Priscellie will be on hand to record a reading if Jim does one.  Of course, anyone who visits this forum and is in New England and is close enough to attend could do the same thing.  (Hint - Hint.)

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Jim may do a reading this weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 04:19:24 PM »

I'm hoping Priscellie will be on hand to record a reading if Jim does one.  Of course, anyone who visits this forum and is in New England and is close enough to attend could do the same thing.  (Hint - Hint.)

Jim did do a reading and requested that it NOT be recorded, per Priscellie.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:29:04 PM »
Priscellie uploaded this to YouTube today.  It appears Jim did a Q&A rather than a reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6q3sZeg7u8

Groucho Marx

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 12:07:07 AM »
Well, that was very Twilight Zonish.  By Jim's word, the last chapter is not yet finished, even though by his own words, there is only about 5 hours work left.  And he finished the prior chapter June 17, almost thirty days ago.  And his reason is, he's at the Con.  Sigh...........

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 06:55:59 AM »
Tasks sometimes take longer than estimated. Especially if it's the last chapter.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 07:23:06 AM »
It could be that a personal or family matter caused the initial delay in finishing off the last chapter.  It's also possible that the beta readers caught something that Jim had to go back and fix and the last chapter simply couldn't be finished until the fix was made, and now the past two weeks have been taken up with visits to far flung Cons.

I know Dragon Con; which Jim will be attending, isn't until the last weekend of August, so hopefully Jim can finally knock out the last chapter of Peace Talks, and anything else that may be required, and do so in the next few days.  Jim said at Westercon that he writes five days (actually he writes at night) a week, so perhaps he's writing as I type this out.  I hope he finish off Peace Talks in the next couple of days.  I won't know what to think if it's not finished by the end of the week.

Groucho Marx

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
It could be that a personal or family matter caused the initial delay in finishing off the last chapter.  It's also possible that the beta readers caught something that Jim had to go back and fix and the last chapter simply couldn't be finished until the fix was made, and now the past two weeks have been taken up with visits to far flung Cons.

I know Dragon Con; which Jim will be attending, isn't until the last weekend of August, so hopefully Jim can finally knock out the last chapter of Peace Talks, and anything else that may be required, and do so in the next few days.  Jim said at Westercon that he writes five days (actually he writes at night) a week, so perhaps he's writing as I type this out.  I hope he finish off Peace Talks in the next couple of days.  I won't know what to think if it's not finished by the end of the week.
I'm going to point out a bit of irony to you.  Jim has mentioned the delays in finishing his current home as one of the reasons for the delay with the book.  You have to question how Jim felt when the contractor came at him with excuses as to why the work lagged.  I suspect that like his readers Jim felt a little frustration.  Of course the book will be done when it's done.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 01:19:58 PM »
I think there were better hints in this video as to last weeks...

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »
I'm going to point out a bit of irony to you.  Jim has mentioned the delays in finishing his current home as one of the reasons for the delay with the book.  You have to question how Jim felt when the contractor came at him with excuses as to why the work lagged.  I suspect that like his readers Jim felt a little frustration.  Of course the book will be done when it's done.

You can't assume the "excuses", though. The one thing Jim has said is that when his dog died and he didn't have a proper place to write in, his productivity dived to the point he was only putting out a few hundred words a day. It was only once those issues were taken care of he was back to putting out thousands of words a day and steady updates.

Cons also take a lot out of your day combined with things like travel, prep, and non-writing work. I can't assume that's why the chapter's not done yet but it's a fair assumption to make based on experience. I wouldn't be surprised if the chapter takes a while longer after con for similar reasons.